To Flash or not to Flash my Stock Type R?

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW Honda Civic Type R
I'd recommend a Hondata, but KTuners are probably easier to get a hold of and are more affordable. Apparently new Hondata units should be shipping out in the next couple of weeks.
I want the Hondata just hard to find a used one on here
Sponsored

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Im glad I bought my Hondata back in April as a birthday present to myself. Ive just been sitting on it, debating and arguing with myself if I should tune it. After owning an STI for 10 years, I was nervous about doing any major ecu changes and potentially voiding parts of my warranty.

11,000 miles later, only an intake and a catback, but I am totally in love with this thing. After reading this thread, Im gonna jailbreak it and tune it this weekend and now im excited. Can't wait to see what this thing is capable of with the basemap.

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im glad I bought my Hondata back in April as a birthday present to myself. Ive just been sitting on it, debating and arguing with myself if I should tune it. After owning an STI for 10 years, I was nervous about doing any major ecu changes and potentially voiding parts of my warranty.

11,000 miles later, only an intake and a catback, but I am totally in love with this thing. After reading this thread, Im gonna jailbreak it and tune it this weekend and now im excited. Can't wait to see what this thing is capable of with the basemap.
Let me know how much of a difference you feel, if you can... thanks!

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I use mine as a daily and have 100K bumper to bumper warranty. Running Hondata, and absolutely worth every penny.

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use mine as a daily and have 100K bumper to bumper warranty. Running Hondata, and absolutely worth every penny.
Wow really... any other mods or just stock? My biggest concern was if it is worth the hondata in a stock vehicle but most have said that it is... so I’ll be getting one soon.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wow really... any other mods or just stock? My biggest concern was if it is worth the hondata in a stock vehicle but most have said that it is... so I’ll be getting one soon.
A lot of platforms you need supporting mods to make more power from factory. Our engine already breathes pretty well from factory, so you can get a fair amount out of a tune alone. The stock downpipe will hold you back the most, most other parts are unnecessary for mildly tuned Type Rs.

I started with stock for a few months, then a KTuner, moved to Hondata, and then got PRL mods as the months went by.. Every jump in power is noticeable and it's like getting a new car all over again.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
noone can really speak on your behalf if its worth it or not. If you are looking for more power, its worth it.

i definitely felt it was worth it. You will notice it on a day to day basis because you will gain a lot more torque in the mid range which is where you would usually be driving around in.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Makes that much of a difference then?
Oh yeah, especially with a downpipe and intercooler. It's more of a noticeable difference in the low-mid range. I've been driving a 2020 for a couple months and every day I miss that spool up shove that my '19 had tuned. My jailbreak device is supposed to be delivered today, but tracking shows it in Indianapolis. Wish next day shipping would have came the next day... I didn't pay for 2 day shipping! Lol we'll see.

Once I get the jailbreak done I might install my fuel system this weekend. Gotta really go over the process so I don't have to keep watching videos or reading for each step

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Oh yeah, especially with a downpipe and intercooler. It's more of a noticeable difference in the low-mid range. I've been driving a 2020 for a couple months and every day I miss that spool up shove that my '19 had tuned. My jailbreak device is supposed to be delivered today, but tracking shows it in Indianapolis. Wish next day shipping would have came the next day... I didn't pay for 2 day shipping! Lol we'll see.

Once I get the jailbreak done I might install my fuel system this weekend. Gotta really go over the process so I don't have to keep watching videos or reading for each step
Would love to follow your build. Do you have IG?
Sponsored