First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
*not an attorney

You got caught going (I assume) more than 15 over the posted speed. If you were polite during the contact with the officer; that will help. Your court date is the same as all the other tickets he/she wrote that day. The officer will be there all day tending to these. Some folks won't show up and others will argue stupid shit. If you show up dressed respectfully, are polite and co-operative, and show remorse rather than shift blame; I believe you will stand out from all the other offenders and will likely receive mercy. They understand the fines vs points/insurance situation. And they're not looking to jam up first time offenders with good attitudes.

Just my thoughts. And good luck.
Thanks! I'm just going to call them and ask. If they won't, then I'll see about going to the court haha. I didn't even get a chance to be polite with the trooper, he straight up didn't even introduce himself or anything, just said 88 is too fast, asked me for my license, then asked me to sign my ticket and that was it haha
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Thanks! I'm just going to call them and ask. If they won't, then I'll see about going to the court haha. I didn't even get a chance to be polite with the trooper, he straight up didn't even introduce himself or anything, just said 88 is too fast, asked me for my license, then asked me to sign my ticket and that was it haha
It's because of Covid. Back in March when a trooper stopped me because of my temporary tag, he won't even touch my registration. Asked to put in on the hood.

I wish everyone act like the trooper though. I can't believe people still act like Covid isn't a thing. Just the other week I was at the super checkout swiping my card, a lady from the next lane came over touching my cart with her bare hands and asked me if she can have my cart. I mean, come on lady, I'm still at the checkout and please just stop spitting on me and get a cart from the outside!

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
If you're concerned about points then you 100% need an attorney if they won't drop it to a non-moving violation. I was looking at 6 points recently for 37 over on my motorcycle, got it dismissed with 4 hour driving school. Even got to do it online ?.

The guy just told stories the whole time and barely taught anything.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Oh yeah I know I have to do that when they're moving. I stop and pull over to shoulder if possible for fire trucks and ambulances, but I didn't know I have to do the same when a cop car is stopped on the shoulder with its lights flashing. I do slow down as a courtesy just didn't know it was a law. I guess it's been too long since I took my written test. lol..
Goodness - Maryland has tons of signs and reminders on the radio and tv to "slow down or move over". I guess your state was not so good about getting the word out?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Goodness - Maryland has tons of signs and reminders on the radio and tv to "slow down or move over". I guess your state was not so good about getting the word out?
No, I never see such signs in my neighborhood. Before the pandemic, I drove all over the place: Toronto thru ny state thruway, Montreal thru Syracuse or MA and VT, all over jersey and PA. I don't remember ever seeing such signs. At least none that sticks in my memory.

I do remember seeing those signs years ago but not sure if I saw them around here or somewhere further down south. Maybe they were all replaced by those adopt a highway signs. Everyone is trying to make a quick buck nowadays. lol...

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might have something there. A couple of years ago, I was a couple of miles from ATL driving on the slow lane at the speed limit of 75 and I slowed down a little when I pass a lady cop that was ticketing someone on the shoulder. She immediately got in her car and chased me down and ask me if I knew how fast I was driving. I told her slower than the speed limit. She said by law I have to get one lane over or drive slower when passing a cop car on duty. I didn't know that was a law. I always thought that's just courtesy. She gave me a verbal warning.
In Florida, it's the law.
Move over a lane (leaving an empty lane between the officer/ambulance/fire truck) or slow down to 20 mph below the posted limit (if you can't move over a lane).

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're concerned about points then you 100% need an attorney if they won't drop it to a non-moving violation. I was looking at 6 points recently for 37 over on my motorcycle, got it dismissed with 4 hour driving school. Even got to do it online ?.

The guy just told stories the whole time and barely taught anything.
Oof 37 over lol I'm not really too concerned with points. I did some research and saw that points won't really affect your Insurance rates? I'm not too sure but all I'm mainly worried about is the ticket going on my driving record and raising my insurance rate

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Oof 37 over lol I'm not really too concerned with points. I did some research and saw that points won't really affect your Insurance rates? I'm not too sure but all I'm mainly worried about is the ticket going on my driving record and raising my insurance rate
Yes tickets will increase your insurance rates until they fall off after 3 years. Points won't increase your rates but if you ever get another citation then the judge would be less lenient since it's not a "first offense". 12 points in 5 years, I think, is license suspension.

In my experience it's always cheaper in the long run to get an attorney and get it fixed. If you have a clean record then that makes it easier for them as well. If I already had a ticket there's no way that my 37 over would have been dismissed.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes tickets will increase your insurance rates until they fall off after 3 years. Points won't increase your rates but if you ever get another citation then the judge would be less lenient since it's not a "first offense". 12 points in 5 years, I think, is license suspension.

In my experience it's always cheaper in the long run to get an attorney and get it fixed. If you have a clean record then that makes it easier for them as well. If I already had a ticket there's no way that my 37 over would have been dismissed.
Ahh I see. How exactly do you get a speeding ticket dismissed though? I've always wondered that, like someone goes like 30 over the limit, gets a lawyer, and gets the ticket dismissed. What does the lawyer come up with as a defense lol

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
In Florida, it's the law.
Move over a lane (leaving an empty lane between the officer/ambulance/fire truck) or slow down to 20 mph below the posted limit (if you can't move over a lane).
This is correct. A lot of people think slowing down is enough. You HAVE to move over. If UNABLE, you HAVE to reduce speed to 20 under.

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
Ahh I see. How exactly do you get a speeding ticket dismissed though? I've always wondered that, like someone goes like 30 over the limit, gets a lawyer, and gets the ticket dismissed. What does the lawyer come up with as a defense lol
Lawyer doesn’t do anything you can’t do, but their familiarity with traffic court process makes them more likely to know what’s in your best interest and defenses to specific violations.

Example, speeding violation caught with laser/lidar...

...does the Officer have his training certificate, and a calibration of his equipment done within last 6 months?

...Does the serial number of device match the ticket, certificate and daily log?

...Does Officer have his daily log with him that shows he did a test of equipment at the beginning and end of the shift on date of citation?

Any answer of “no” is usually a dismissal.

Officers routinely forget their documents or have no independent recollection of the incident.

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lawyers get things reduced or changed mostly based on relationships and not “was the radar calibrated”

I’ve gotten out of about 1 ticket a year for the last decade by calling the ADA office ahead of court and saying

“Hi, would you consider dropping this down to improper equipment?

I have a position that requires a security clearance, and while the chance is low, it could impact it.

If it helpsmy driving record is spotless going back at least a decade.”

I either get a “sure, will make a note just show up and remind me day of” or “we don’t adjust by phone, but come to the court date and ask there” with the wink wink tone of voice.

If you don’t speak the language or have a reason for a hook up (work for PD, in the military) the lawyer does this same thing and it typically works.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lawyers get things reduced or changed mostly based on relationships and not “was the radar calibrated”

I’ve gotten out of about 1 ticket a year for the last decade by calling the ADA office ahead of court and saying

“Hi, would you consider dropping this down to improper equipment?

I have a position that requires a security clearance, and while the chance is low, it could impact it.

If it helpsmy driving record is spotless going back at least a decade.”

I either get a “sure, will make a note just show up and remind me day of” or “we don’t adjust by phone, but come to the court date and ask there” with the wink wink tone of voice.

If you don’t speak the language or have a reason for a hook up (work for PD, in the military) the lawyer does this same thing and it typically works.
I plan on calling next week and asking if they can lower the speed so it doesn't go on my record. This is my first ticket so I hope they'll do it haha. My dad was able to get his speed lowered, and he was going faster than me, but that was in a different city
Sponsored