2017 EX-T CVT Upgrade list help

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as hitting those numbers, sure. As far as the CVT being perfectly fine (especially long term), I'm not so sure.
HAHAHAH fair point, Im really upset over the lack of CVT torque spec, because in theory its amazing but that damn chain is trash, I wonder if anyone has done some work into upgrading the CVT or simply bolting on a better transmission

edit: stumbled upon this:https://www.levelten.com/Honda_Supercharger_s/28.htm ignore the title but its a transmission rebuild company but i heard they also rebuild CVTs from a juke forum.... Maybe there is some substance to a beef-ier CVT
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

Ack Jr.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SPORT CVT
Country flag
On my 2018 Hatch Sport/CVT I did PRL intake, planning to order exhaust in the next month or so (Greddy SP) and also plan on a Hondata or K. Other than that I may do the Eibach Pro Suspension Kit and call it a day. I really just want to make the car last and be fun to daily.

I'd think if you really want to push big HP the EX with the CVT just isn't what you need to be in. I could be way wrong and this is really just my opinion but you're trying to dump money into something that just isn't the platform you need to be working with. You've got a dad mobile that can handle a little performance boost but these big numbers people want/try to hit aren't realistic if you want to have the car for any long period of time.

Good luck either way. Keep us posted.

Ack Jr.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SPORT CVT
Country flag
HAHAHAH fair point, Im really upset over the lack of CVT torque spec, because in theory its amazing but that damn chain is trash, I wonder if anyone has done some work into upgrading the CVT or simply bolting on a better transmission

edit: stumbled upon this:https://www.levelten.com/Honda_Supercharger_s/28.htm ignore the title but its a transmission rebuild company but i heard they also rebuild CVTs from a juke forum.... Maybe there is some substance to a beef-ier CVT

I wondered if there was a CVT beef up movement as well.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
So, I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but the majority of posts are also about Si's or MT in general so are not fully relevant. I'm slowly working on modifying my EX-T Sedan with the CVT, I got the obvious starting point of a KTuner(or Hondata) and I have a PRL Cobra CAI "Race" coming in this week. Where to next? And after that? Trying to make an ideal list with the ideal parts. I also saw the CVT in Thailand with a bolt on turbo pushing 279WHP with no issues, but is the Thai CVT different than the NA?

1. Downpipe?
Should this come before FMIC? Cost wise, it is clearly superior, but longevitity of the enginge? I have yet to read anything negative with regards to PRL products either, so would the PRL Downpipe be the BEST? Or is there a better option with more power?
2. FMIC
Above question? Obviously the power gains are far smaller than the Downpipe, but maintaining a lower overall temperature is huge for longevity. Again, absolute best FMIC?
3. Exhaust
Beyond the downpipe, possibly front pipe, and sound, is this really going to add much power wise? If so, what're the best options. So many choices on exhaust, I've read a million threads and everyone has different opinions, but anyone have hard data?
This is where I start to get fuzzy, or I slide away from "Engine/Exhaust/Transmission" choices.

Tires are obviously a huge factor, where do they fit into all of this though? I have the standard Firestones that come stock right now with about 30,000 miles already on them. Price wise, the Downpipe is the equivalency of two tires, so what is the best option?
Does a rear engine mount really make a difference?
What does the Flex Fuel Converter ACTUALLY DO?
When do you worry about Brakes/Suspension?

I like to organize, go a little OCD, and extra nerdy with this stuff. So I want to compile a list of the order of items I w
Looking at your dream list, why have you decided to stick with your EX-T instead of selling it for a SI? IMO if you're keeping the EX-T I would only do light performance mods (KTuner and intake) for longevity. After that I would consider wheels, tires, SI rear sway bar, and maybe suspension for better handling. That's my recipe for a reliable and fun to drive car.

OP
OP
Vampyrplanck

Vampyrplanck

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
What I decided to do was get parts that were interchangeable, so that I'll have fun with my CVT EXT now, probably push it way harder than I need to, and then in a year trade it in for an Si and move all the performance parts over to the Si and go to town.

Ack Jr.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SPORT CVT
Country flag
What I decided to do was get parts that were interchangeable, so that I'll have fun with my CVT EXT now, probably push it way harder than I need to, and then in a year trade it in for an Si and move all the performance parts over to the Si and go to town.
I totally get it. But think about this. Once you purchase and instal/have installed all this stuff... You could have pushed that money toward whatever upside down you're going to be on the Si swap over. When you get in the Si, it's going to be a giant performance upgrade over the EX, STOCK! If you're stuck, you're stuck. But you aren't going to pay down a large amount in one year.. All these upgrades are gonna cost you what you pay down in your loan.. especially if you have to have them installed and uninstalled to move said upgrades to the new ride... Just food for thought.

I'd have gotten the Si came in hatchback. Period. People always ask my I got CVT.. I actually LOVE the auto for long trips and simply cruising and unless I was going full bore on a TypeR or Si it just made sense to me.. This SportHatch CVT gives me the ability to daily a fairly fun ride with the paddles to quench my enthusiast side and the Automatic and Hatchback for when I need to be dad cruising and loading shit up. LOL. You sound like the Si is your path.. Again, this is just my "old man" advice. Either way, you have a Honda which is in my eyes an amazing ride at any trim level. I'll be happy with some minor performance mods and a car that lasts but some of us just aren't.. Some of us need that 300hp rush no matter the cost or detriment to the equipment. Like I said, I totally get it.

OP
OP
Vampyrplanck

Vampyrplanck

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm not upside down on the EX-T, and my interest rate is tiny, the EXT wasn't new either, so come next year I'll be able to upgrade to the Si comfortably. I also do all the install / uninstall myself, I kind of enjoy doing it, to be honest. So that aspect is totally free. I totally could have dropped this extra money into a Si right off the bat but sadly... I didn't fully realize just how limited the CVT was when I got it. I really really like the CVT, and if there was a way to modify it to make it useable through all the torque range then I would stick with this the whole way. (The CVT is my dad mode coming out too, going on the long family trips it is totally more enjoyable, but I need to maintain my fun side all I can!)

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic HB ST
Country flag
On my 2018 Hatch Sport/CVT I did PRL intake, planning to order exhaust in the next month or so (Greddy SP) and also plan on a Hondata or K. Other than that I may do the Eibach Pro Suspension Kit and call it a day. I really just want to make the car last and be fun to daily.

I'd think if you really want to push big HP the EX with the CVT just isn't what you need to be in. I could be way wrong and this is really just my opinion but you're trying to dump money into something that just isn't the platform you need to be working with. You've got a dad mobile that can handle a little performance boost but these big numbers people want/try to hit aren't realistic if you want to have the car for any long period of time.

Good luck either way. Keep us posted.
This. I have this exact setup(KTuner/PRLCobra/Greddy SP) on my CVT Sport Touring Hatch, and enjoy my drive everyday. What's not said alot about the PRL Cobra CAI is how much more turbo noise this allows out of the engine bay vs the stock air box...which I love. I literally thought I forgot to install something the first time I got on the throttle after I put the CAI in!

I've actually been having this same questions if adding more to the CVT is worth it, especially when items come up in the members classified area. I enjoy wrenching on the car, so some of these things are hard to pass up when they become available at a discount.

At this point I'm just doing cosmetic things as well(interior and vinyl wrap), and having a hard time NOT buying lowering springs/spacers. :)

Good luck!

Ack Jr.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SPORT CVT
Country flag
This. I have this exact setup(KTuner/PRLCobra/Greddy SP) on my CVT Sport Touring Hatch, and enjoy my drive everyday. What's not said alot about the PRL Cobra CAI is how much more turbo noise this allows out of the engine bay vs the stock air box...which I love. I literally thought I forgot to install something the first time I got on the throttle after I put the CAI in!

I've actually been having this same questions if adding more to the CVT is worth it, especially when items come up in the members classified area. I enjoy wrenching on the car, so some of these things are hard to pass up when they become available at a discount.

At this point I'm just doing cosmetic things as well(interior and vinyl wrap), and having a hard time NOT buying lowering springs/spacers. :)

Good luck!
I love spirited driving, this doesn't take much in the way of upgrades to achieve happiness. Your setup is exactly here I plan to end up. I feel you on the lowering thing. Very hard not to jump and just start ordering suspension upgrades. Must be responsible adult, MUST BE RESPONSIBLE ADULT... lol

As far as the OP.... Bro, if you aren't going to be upside down, WTF are you waiting for? Si are everywhere.. Affordable.. You can be where you want to be NOW. You lost me when you said it wasn't a money issue. I'd be at the dealer getting my Si LOOOOOOoooooooog before I was online ordering upgrades for my EX. Priorities are priorities but yah kill'n me smalls!! Hit up autotrader.com not the parts sites.

Lord please tell me why I'm getting so fired up about this guy and his EX CVT?????? LMAO

Alberto1866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have a 2017 hatch back sport. I've been modded since 5k miles, and it was only recently I got fully tuned. I am at 225whp WITHOUT E85, I have not done a pull on the dyno yet with E85 in the tank. Ultimately I believe how you drive strongly affects the reliability. I have had 0 issues so far, and 0 signs of problems. I do however frequently do maintenance and check up on everything.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bigger turbo = More Air, More Air = More fire, a really simplistic way to say bigger turbo gives more horsepower also while racing in L is good, L has a gas cut off or shorten, you need to Launch in L then at about 47-55MPH pop it forward into S, Lift off the Gas for a microsecond and slam back on it tricks the CVT into dropping low again but S has a better top end rage then L. Also from 27won themselves @Vincent@27WON
"Showing a true drop-in comparison, we see an un-tuned power increase of +18wHP and wTQ carrying strong to redline.Following this, a tune optimized for the W1 Turbo nets a total of +42wHP.
Carrying power to redline was the #1 goal for the W1 turbo
without significantly effecting low end torque. With this new power curve, peak torque hits 500rpm later and horsepower carries to redline providing a total 500rpm extra engine RPM past the OE 6500rpm redline.
For stock block cars moving the peak torque higher in the RPM range helps reduce the chance of catastrophic engine failure due to excessive force on the connecting rods and pistons." "Showing a true drop-in comparison with E85 fuel, we see an un-tuned power increase of +52wHP and +2wTQ. Following this, a tune optimized for the W1 Turbo nets a total of +65wHP and +18wTQ. The L15 found in the CivicX loves boost and octane, which is why we saw a much larger increase in power with the addition of ethanol over 91 Octane gasoline."

You are limited by the torque spec on your CVT however It would not be unreasonable or impossible to hit the 300WHP, 225WtQ and be perfectly fine.

I appreciate your response. Lots of info. I've never been a fan of 'He-say, She-say' though. I mean that coming from 27Won since it's their product. That 'un-tuned power increase of +18whp', where is this in the powerband? At power peak? That's a lot of extra whp untuned.

As for the CVT shift, that's cool info. I'd have to check this in comparison to just running in straight 'L' mode at the track. Have you tried it out? If so, what were your results? Again, I've always been about first hand experienes and sharing. It's always easy to misquote or misunderstand what a vendor is putting out. I haven't read about this CVT shifting technique bringing better results in a before/after comparison. I haven't been on the board a whole lot these past few months either. Thanks again!

Ack Jr.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SPORT CVT
Country flag
I have a 2017 hatch back sport. I've been modded since 5k miles, and it was only recently I got fully tuned. I am at 225whp WITHOUT E85, I have not done a pull on the dyno yet with E85 in the tank. Ultimately I believe how you drive strongly affects the reliability. I have had 0 issues so far, and 0 signs of problems. I do however frequently do maintenance and check up on everything.

CVT?

Ack Jr.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SPORT CVT
Country flag
Yes the tune is dialed back for CVT safety, otherwise I'd be making more power.
And is the tune dialing back torque? I believe that’s what roasts the CVTs. 225 is respectable HP. How many miles on your hatch now? And have you done the e85 upgrade?

Alberto1866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
And is the tune dialing back torque? I believe that’s what roasts the CVTs. 225 is respectable HP. How many miles on your hatch now? And have you done the e85 upgrade?
Yeah the torque is what was dialed back, not sure to how much though. That is around the power I was hoping to make so I'm happy, but I am capable of running e85, I just didn't get tuned properly for it since it cost extra and I didn't plan on using it that much so didn't think it was worth it. They did leave the tune so that I can still make more power with it, it just wouldn't be optimized.
Sponsored