Ready to tune!

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Hey all! I'll be picking up a ktuner v1.2 unit sometime this week and I am super super excited! (I had a dream about my civic being tuned last night). I just wanted to get a few questions out of the way before I go about flashing it since I have exactly 0 experience with tuning.

1. On the Ktuner website they reccomend 91 octane gas, but is it ok/safe if I fill 87 some days and 91 other days or do I have to stick with one grade?

2. Reading the posts here I noticed something about emailing ktuner if my ECU is not accepted or available or something and they would update the software? What is all that about and do I need to do anything there?

3. Does the tune "kick in" right away or does it need a "break in period"

4. Is the improved throttle response already included in the tune or is that an option I have to select somehow?

Thank you guys! Really looking forward to a car with a bit more kick to it.

Edit: This for the 2.0, not turbo
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
1. Stick with the highest octane possible for the lowest knock control.

2. It takes some time to add compatibility for all new ECU numbers. Check Ktuner's website for currently compatible ECU's. If yours isn't listed contact Ktuner.

3. It pretty much kicks in right away but knock control starts at .59 and takes a few minutes to settle.

4. If you do a "staged" tune, it already is programmed in. You choose your own amount of throttle improvement in the "starter" tunes.

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag

2. It takes some time to add compatibility for all new ECU numbers. Check Ktuner's website for currently compatible ECU's. If yours isn't listed contact Ktuner.

3. It pretty much kicks in right away but knock control starts at .59 and takes a few minutes to settle.

4. If you do a "staged" tune, it already is programmed in. You choose your own amount of throttle improvement in the "starter" tunes.

Is it possible to run the tune on 87? I don't want to be filling 91 all the time, it's kind of pricey in my area :p

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to run the tune on 87? I don't want to be filling 91 all the time, it's kind of pricey in my area :p
You can, but you will make noticeably less power. Bite the bullet and pay the extra few bucks per fill up. Well worth it.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
87 + summer + tune = Engine running very inefficiently at high loads/wot with high knock control = less power

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
You can, but you will make noticeably less power. Bite the bullet and pay the extra few bucks per fill up. Well worth it.
I'll fill 91 every other tank or something, but I'm confident the extra gains wi change my mind

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag

For question 2, how do you check your ECU number?

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
under the hood look for the serial number on the box above the fuse box. if its like the 1.5l then you have to read the number that is in the 1.5 inch space between the boxes. i clicked a pic with my phone.

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Thank you for all the responses, just had one more qurlestion. When I install the ktuner software, does it come preloaded with all the different tunes for different models or do I need separtely download the tune that's for the 2.0?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The software will have the 2.0 tune available once you lock your Ktuner to your ECU.

From Ktuner (2.0 tune info) ...

Speed Limiter removed. Please adhere to your tire speed limitations and note this feature is for off-road use only.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ready to tune! K20C2GAINS

We are currently offering one research calibration. The tune can be ran with 87 octane fuel, but running 91+ will give the best results.

Tune 1:
Improved throttle response
VTEC lowered to 5600
Mid Range and Top End Power Increases

Flash Back To Stock At Any Time

Last edited:

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I'll be picking up a unit on Thursday and am super excited! I wrote down the steps for registering the Ktuner and flashing the tune. Is this right or am I missing something? Also, when first locking the Ktuner to my ECU, does the car need to be in accessory mode or does it need to be turned off?

1. Download Ktuner software and install the in-ECU package
2. Launch Ktuner and agree to the end-user agreement thing
3. Plug Ktuner into my laptop, enter information and register for an account

4. Unplug everything and plug the Ktuner into the OBD2 port while the car is off and then plug into my laptop as well
5. Register unit and lock it to the ECU when prompted
6. Check if the bottom status bar shows connected or logging

7. Press "file new", select my module and select the tune (only one available for 2.0)
8. Put key into accessory mode
9. Click the upload button
10. Press Flash Now
11. Wait for flash and key the vehicle off when prompted
12. Wait for main relay click and key the vehicle back into accessory mode
13. Press ok
14. Car has been flashed!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you first lock it to your ECU you need to be in accessory mode for Ktuner to get the ECU information.

Your other steps all look good. Happy tuning.:)

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
When you first lock it to your ECU you need to be in accessory mode for Ktuner to get the ECU information.

Your other steps all look good. Happy tuning.:)
And when I press new file to select the tune map, does it matter if I'm in accesory mode?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be picking up a unit on Thursday and am super excited! I wrote down the steps for registering the Ktuner and flashing the tune. Is this right or am I missing something? Also, when first locking the Ktuner to my ECU, does the car need to be in accessory mode or does it need to be turned off?

1. Download Ktuner software and install the in-ECU package
2. Launch Ktuner and agree to the end-user agreement thing
3. Plug Ktuner into my laptop, enter information and register for an account

4. Unplug everything and plug the Ktuner into the OBD2 port while the car is off and then plug into my laptop as well
5. Register unit and lock it to the ECU when prompted
6. Check if the bottom status bar shows connected or logging

7. Press "file new", select my module and select the tune (only one available for 2.0)
8. Put key into accessory mode
9. Click the upload button
10. Press Flash Now
11. Wait for flash and key the vehicle off when prompted
12. Wait for main relay click and key the vehicle back into accessory mode
13. Press ok
14. Car has been flashed!
you want to install whichever device you have. Since you have a 10th gen civic, you would select either Ktuner v1.2 Flash or Ktuner v2 Flash to get the correct drivers and software.

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
you want to install whichever device you have. Since you have a 10th gen civic, you would select either Ktuner v1.2 Flash or Ktuner v2 Flash to get the correct drivers and software.
I'll have the v1.2 so I guess that's the "in-ecu" option? Also I'll be running out of gas tommorow night and was thinking may as well fill up 91 octane before Thursday. Is it safe to drive on 91 before the tune?
Sponsored