CTR seat replacement options?

morph2k4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
I'm looking at the CTR pretty closely, but I sat in one at a dealership this week and I don't think I can deal with the seats. They're comfortable, but the bolsters just don't allow enough leg movement for me to be comfortable.

Has anyone seriously looked into replacing them? I'm hoping there are some reasonable options. I'd really like to keep functional side impact airbags, but I haven't seen a lot of options that look promising.

Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know if the SI or other lower trim civic seats will fit?
2. Is there any chance that lower trim civic seats will have side impact airbags that will work plug and play?
3. Are there any aftermarket seats that come with side impact airbags?
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
My wife hates the seats so I'm planning to replace the passenger seat with one from a regular civic later this year. I assume it should fit. Hopefully the harness for the airbags has the same connector.
I do plan to keep the original seat of course but I love this car and there's no way my wife will let me keep it for long if I don't do something.

I thought the seats restricted my legs a bit when I picked up mine a few weeks ago, and I don't know whether I've just crushed the bolsters or gotten used to it, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Love the OEM seats but Iā€™ve always wanted Bride seats, even if my car was a slow pos I still wanted them back then...maybe in the future for my CTR.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I'm looking at the CTR pretty closely, but I sat in one at a dealership this week and I don't think I can deal with the seats. They're comfortable, but the bolsters just don't allow enough leg movement for me to be comfortable.

Has anyone seriously looked into replacing them? I'm hoping there are some reasonable options. I'd really like to keep functional side impact airbags, but I haven't seen a lot of options that look promising.

Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know if the SI or other lower trim civic seats will fit?
2. Is there any chance that lower trim civic seats will have side impact airbags that will work plug and play?
3. Are there any aftermarket seats that come with side impact airbags?
I think you might be able to use the SI sedan ones, but not sure the airbags, if found some aftermarket ones.
The good thing for you, if you sell the Type R ones, it will be sold in a heart beat.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 17' Si, I would deff consider working out a swap deal if someone was interested.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If my wife told me I had to change my passenger seat in my Type-R I would laugh right in her face. Time to download the Uber app I guess.
For real.

I have never even dated anyone that would bring such a thing up and I have dated some nut jobs. Ridiculous.
Cool story, bros.

My wife doesn't like the seats either, and we've considered swapping the seat for one out of a base model or an Si. It's not a badly priced option, and I suspect they'll work. They should absolutely bolt up just the same. It's very likely that all the airbags and related equipment use the same connectors, Honda is pretty good about doing things the same way across the model line (there are some exceptions, however). You'd have to physically try it, though, because even if you had an ETM you couldn't tell if the wiring is the same since Honda makes all the SRS wire yellow to prevent techs from repairing them and creating liability issues.

Ultimately, I am going to have a local upholstery shop make a booster for the seat and the back, to lift her up a little between the bolsters and give her some lumbar support in her back. Since I'm not a jerk that would laugh in my wife's face, and have valued the opinion and feelings of the women I've dated, I think this would be a good option that wouldn't change the vehicle, would be able to be left in the vehicle without changing the look of it, and would be movable so that she can come autocross the FK8 while I race my EK. This will allow us to be together, share in something I find important to my life, and allow her to be comfortable and happy while doing so.

You're welcome to print that out and keep it as an example, if you're having trouble with the women in your life.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
I'll trade you seats out of my Si.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Cool story, bros.

My wife doesn't like the seats either, and we've considered swapping the seat for one out of a base model or an Si. It's not a badly priced option, and I suspect they'll work. They should absolutely bolt up just the same. It's very likely that all the airbags and related equipment use the same connectors, Honda is pretty good about doing things the same way across the model line (there are some exceptions, however). You'd have to physically try it, though, because even if you had an ETM you couldn't tell if the wiring is the same since Honda makes all the SRS wire yellow to prevent techs from repairing them and creating liability issues.

Ultimately, I am going to have a local upholstery shop make a booster for the seat and the back, to lift her up a little between the bolsters and give her some lumbar support in her back. Since I'm not a jerk that would laugh in my wife's face, and have valued the opinion and feelings of the women I've dated, I think this would be a good option that wouldn't change the vehicle, would be able to be left in the vehicle without changing the look of it, and would be movable so that she can come autocross the FK8 while I race my EK. This will allow us to be together, share in something I find important to my life, and allow her to be comfortable and happy while doing so.

You're welcome to print that out and keep it as an example, if you're having trouble with the women in your life.
Does she make you try out her tampons first as well?

And I wonder why the crazy broads out there feel so entitled...

SI-Raw

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
There's more to swapping seats then just plugging connectors in. There are sensors connected to each seat/harness that detect the weight of each seat. That informs the SRS system whether or not there is enough weight in the front seat to active the airbags.

EG: A bag of groceries sitting on your front seat vs a 150lbs adult.

Unless the Civic SI Seats, Base Model Civic Seats, Aftermarket Seat etc.. have the exact same weight of the Type R seat it's replacing, then you will mostly likely throw an error code, or worse, completely disable the entire SRS system due to the weights being off.

Whether or not the actual connecter's "plug into each other" is irrelevant.