Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
For those that think this might be a driver issue ... K-tuned has been selling this for ages.
It was reported some time ago that Honda was not introducing any specific changes to MY2018 so you will have to wait a bit longer :)
I say you got pick upt PMM #139 immediately!
The VIN number should tell you the order it was built, the badge has no real world significance.

They've already revised the wiring harness and retrofitted it to the cars that were waiting to be shipped, which is why there was a slow down in the release of cars after the first batch. So there will be minor revisions as issues arise.
yeah. the badge number has no correlation to the VIN # so you can't base anything off of the badge number. You have to look at the last 6 of the vin and you'll know what # it is. You can also look at the build date on the door too.
Go read through the description and see if that sounds like our issue.

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/K-Series-Complete-CMC-Slave-Kit_p_624.html

It’s a April build , also PMM was held back because a letter was sent out to dealers unknown to consumers with paint issues. Hence why the badge number is so low. For all I know the car was sitting forever or was repainted . Also if you don’t think or think Honda does changes behind the scene With mechanical part revisions without telling the consumer you are wrong they do. Also I won’t be waiting long since I will have a 2018 in 3months and the color I want either black or champ white.
Plus my residual value will be higher, it’s too late in the game to be buying any 2017 type r at msrp when I have the option to wait at msrp for a 2018.
And again low badge numbers doesn’t make the car more valuable, I could care less

Forgot to mention my sales manager can request colors now when they Put the order in
Sponsored

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
It’s a April build , also PMM was held back because a letter was sent out to dealers unknown to consumers with paint issues. Hence why the badge number is so low. For all I know the car was sitting forever or was repainted . Also if you don’t think or think Honda does changes behind the scene With mechanical part revisions without telling the consumer you are wrong they do. Also I won’t be waiting long since I will have a 2018 in 3months and the color I want either black or champ white.
Plus my residual value will be higher, it’s too late in the game to be buying any 2017 type r at msrp when I have the option to wait at msrp for a 2018.
And again low badge numbers doesn’t make the car more valuable, I could care less

Forgot to mention my sales manager can request colors now when they Put the order in
Agreed, If you can get it at MSRP get a 2018. Has anyone actually seen ANY CTRs labeled as 2018 yet though?

Honda unfortunately does not do direct orders. More than likely he knows what colors may be incoming and knows what other dealerships in the area may be getting as well. That way if you want a different color from what they've been allocated a trade can be made.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
of course I know that manufacturers change stuff without telling the consumer. That's nothing new in the car industry.
All i'm saying is the badge number has nothing to do with the order the car was built. You could've just mentioned you refused to buy it because it's an april build and not because badge number is low. Never once said low badge number makes the car more valuable.

fmoua916

Nothingbettah2do
First Name
Fong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r agean blue
Country flag
I haven’t gotta any crunch on mine yet but I only got like 700 miles and not really shifting crazy yet on the car. Production #5447 so maybe the later ones are ok?

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, If you can get it at MSRP get a 2018. Has anyone actually seen ANY CTRs labeled as 2018 yet though?

Honda unfortunately does not do direct orders. More than likely he knows what colors may be incoming and knows what other dealerships in the area may be getting as well. That way if you want a different color from what they've been allocated a trade can be made.
No 2018 yet the cars that just hit the lots this week are the final 2017s. From my understanding the sales manager who runs the dealership is able to request colors but is not guaranteed . I picked two colors and he told me either or will most likely come . There is no information right now for 2018 coming but he mentioned feb March is when they will arrive.

Also not sure if you guys know about the thread on civic x about how everyone is complaining about paint issues on the pmm, and wouldn’t be surprised if honda corporate sent out a secret letter to dealers. I was told by an sales associate at the dealer who was on the same list as me that Honda sent out a letter. This person wanted gray originally but then bought black before me. Go figure , I also think this dealer was able to get gray in for this sales associates preference in color before this letter was sent out.

Last edited:

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
of course I know that manufacturers change stuff without telling the consumer. That's nothing new in the car industry.
All i'm saying is the badge number has nothing to do with the order the car was built. You could've just mentioned you refused to buy it because it's an april build and not because badge number is low. Never once said low badge number makes the car more valuable.
I refused to buy it because of the possible PMM paint issue , and the fact it was a early build that could have tranny issues. I also hate the gray and I am in no rush to buy a ctr since winter is here and I am not desperate for a car right now .
I could care less how low badge numbers are

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t gotta any crunch on mine yet but I only got like 700 miles and not really shifting crazy yet on the car. Production #5447 so maybe the later ones are ok?
We don’t know but it’s safe to say yes you might be in the clear

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
it's hard to say. most of the ppl who posted has been mentioning their badge # and not their vin #. I have yet to experience the grind on mine and my vin is in the 23xx. Only time will tell if i will get the crunch or not.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
I refused to buy it because of the possible PMM paint issue , and the fact it was a early build that could have tranny issues. I also hate the gray and I am in no rush to buy a ctr since winter is here and I am not desperate for a car right now .
I could care less how low badge numbers are

What issues with PMM paint?
Vin 1108 and I had less issues then most on the forums...

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
What issues with PMM paint?
Vin 1108 and I had less issues then most on the forums...
every CTR has paint issues...my VIN 1441 and have 6-grinds in 6000 miles (none in the pass 2000 miles). I start not shifting lazily...I'm now forcefully pulling my shifter to the left and down (some forum member mentioned, so I've tried and so far so good - knock on wood).

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
every CTR has paint issues...my VIN 1441 and have 6-grinds in 6000 miles (none in the pass 2000 miles). I start not shifting lazily...I'm now forcefully pulling my shifter to the left and down (some forum member mentioned, so I've tried and so far so good - knock on wood).

I get it UFO. I have purchased over 20 new cars from Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Chevrolet, and BMW and every one has had paint defects.

Iam OCD and it’s frustrating whether spending 20k or 60k.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it would seem most people on this forum have paint issues with the gray PMM

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it would seem most people on this forum have paint issues with the gray PMM
Like what?

Dislike the color?
Polish marks?
Debris in paint?
Orange peel?

Black would show flaws the most and white will hide them.

My PMM had 2 polish marks taken out by hand and had a few specs of dust but nothing major.
Has orange peel but what new car doesn’t..
My paint looks good for a Civic!

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like what?

Dislike the color?
Polish marks?
Debris in paint?
Orange peel?

Black would show flaws the most and white will hide them.

My PMM had 2 polish marks taken out by hand and had a few specs of dust but nothing major.
Has orange peel but what new car doesn’t..
My paint looks good for a Civic!
all of the above, it was leaked by a sales associate from my local dealer that a letter was sent out regarding the delay of PMM CTR/hatchbacks regarding possible paint defects. The last 2 waves were made up of mostly black, white, red across the country.
I would not be surprised a wave 3 badge in the 130s was sitting at the port for an inspection or recalled before shipping it to the dealer. I would not trust getting a early build PMM especially when it also might have a transmission crunch along with PMM paint issues. we all know honda sent techs to the port to fix the rev limiter harness before being shipped.
I dont trust honda and i am pretty confident in my research and a witness who works for honda that could possibly be true .

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
"FK8 2nd gear grind gang" member checking in. :hide::( I didn't notice the mild crunch from 1-2 shifts over the first 3+ months and just 800 miles of driving. I could partially attribute the smoother previous shifting to to 1.) babying the car with very soft, precise, low-RPM and load shifts , and 2.) warmer weather. However, it is extremely unlikely to be user error in most all of our cases, as the majority of Type R owners are veterans of the three-pedal arts. I will experiment with "warming up" the 1-2 gearset with the clutch in and shifting between gears while stopped at intersections, seeing if a little friction/heat helps.

My hope is that the gear grinds are a rare issue that goes away after a longer break-in period, but should check my fluid level after reading of an underfilled transmission. Unfortunately, many K-Series six-speed transmissions have had shifting and durability issues since their debut in the DC5/RSX Type-S. I have driven sublime-shifting six-speeds (DC5-S, FA5), but fear some (many?) of us will be in for the struggles outlined in the SavageGeese and FlyinGato videos.

What's so frustrating is that Honda could return to the overbuilt transmission glory days. The 5-speed B-Series and EP3 Si K-Series transmissions were very slick, but also withstood 9-second drag passes in stock form and much greater abuse with upgraded synchros, LSD's, OEM hybrid gearing or aftermarket dog boxes. If the FK8 transmissions are indeed fundamentally flawed, we must make Honda aware and accountable for the defect. Document and video record the issue, contact your service department, get a case started, and reach out to corporate. We shall overcome shitty shifts!:drive:
Sadly it doesn't go away after breakin. Change the fluid at the dealer and you might be happier.. my car is in savagegeeses video, and I changed my fluid with OEM at the dealer, no more grinds. @dominican I just said screw it and paid $100 and got the fluid replaced because I'm too hurt by it grinding and thankfully it hasn't grinded since.. worth a shot..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.