The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
has anybody else experience any nasty grinding while shifting gears? and before you ask no im not out driving like an asshole, literally just normal driving. i only have 30 miles on my R so far and ive had it happen 3 times so far and only in 2nd, for now anyways. goes into gear okay but just an awful grinding sound. yes i know how to drive a manual never owned anything else. trans fluid is good, no other problems so far. also i am a tech at my dealer so dont just tell me to take it in, im the one who has to diagnose it lmao. let me know people!

Since this post was created so long ago now, and has had thousands of replies and over 100 pages worth to read from it has been requested by a member of the forum that i post the links to helpful information in this thread that has been lost in the clutter. listed below you will find information gathered by members of the community that in their experience has at least helped lesson the frequency of which they experience "The Crunch". i cannot personally say i have tested these methods or confirmed they "fix" the issues, but if the information will help others ill gladly make it easy to find. As of this time Honda does not have a publish fix for this issue, and many people have had different experiences with the dealerships. If you have information you would like me to pin to this post that you truly believe should be made available and help others please send me a PM and ill consider adding it. Hope it helps!

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/the-infamous-2nd-gear-crunch.12890/post-788138
Sponsored

Last edited:

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Go get it checked out

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
has anybody else experience any nasty grinding while shifting gears? and before you ask no im not out driving like an asshole, literally just normal driving. i only have 30 miles on my R so far and ive had it happen 3 times so far and only in 2nd, for now anyways. goes into gear okay but just an awful grinding sound. yes i know how to drive a manual never owned anything else. trans fluid is good, no other problems so far. also i am a tech at my dealer so dont just tell me to take it in, im the one who has to diagnose it lmao. let me know people!
I've only had it happen once and that was on my own accord of being super tired in the morning and my hand foot coordination apparently wasn't up to par :(

It was on 2nd though!

The only thing I have noticed besides that is the notching sound that wasn't in my previous Si's without the short shifter. No grinding otherwise that I have noticed!

Is it like an actual gear grinding or in the shifter area?

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
I've experienced a little notchy shifts here and there, but not a grind. Sometimes downshifting out of 5th into 4th seems a little difficult. I'm not sure if that's just because it's "new" and still stiff. I hope these don't have synchro problems like I had in my 8th gen.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I think what he's saying is to get it checked out - you're the first to report an issue.
It's good advice - "Only a fool..."

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
He's the tech that will be doing the diag lol read.....He just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this....

bamsdevils

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex
Only thing I can think of is possibly a bent pitch fork? Happened to my brand new 2015 manual Honda Civic, repaired at Honda free of charge

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
definitely actually gear grinding like its not a smooth shift, thanks for all the input so far! helps me out in the future too i can report what other people are experiencing if i end up dealing with techline

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I had this in my 06 Si and they eventually tossed out a TSB for it. What is the part number for the Type-R trans? Is it unique among Honda (I hope)?

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had it happen once today but chalked it up to my novice manual driving skills even though I could have sworn I had the clutch in. I've had a few mis-shifts actually due to my noviceness, but nothing crazy. I do notice that even though the shifter is smooth, I feel like it expects you to really take control and shift with some authority.

Modomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #0369
Country flag
50 ish milestone so far and nothing but smooth shifting so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.