mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
There was a ice storm in Ontario in the weekend. My driveway has 2-3 inch of ice and it was Impossible to shovel.
I came home today and tried to drive into the garage. I was in 2nd gear and had a hard time to go up a slight inclination. At one point, the engine stalled. I finally got the car inside the garage but there was a strong smell of rotten eggs coming from the car. Did I break the car?
Sponsored

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
There was a ice storm in Ontario in the weekend. My driveway has 2-3 inch of ice and it was Impossible to shovel.
I came home today and tried to drive into the garage. I was in 2nd gear and had a hard time to go up a slight inclination. At one point, the engine stalled. I finally got the car inside the garage but there was a strong smell of rotten eggs coming from the car. Did I break the car?

It might just be ur battery

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
It might just be ur battery

Be careful if it is your battery because it can explode and that’s normally the only thing that gives off a rotten egg smell I’m a battery technician

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Glad im not the only one who has had this issue thanks for providing that link to the other discussion great info.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Weather is getting better and I went for a spirited drive today. I definitely smelt the rotten egg.

I took delivery of my SI in the winter and today was the first time I went full throttle with the windows opened.

The other thread stated that catalytic converter was the culprit. I drove plenty of modern cars and I never noticed these smell. One of these cars was a Mercedes CLK.350 which was my daily commute or 13-14 years. I went to the same local gas stations all the time.

Last edited:

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Its from the sulfur in gasoline. Maybe try a different gas station for a couple fill ups and hope it goes away.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Its from the sulfur in gasoline. Maybe try a different gas station for a couple fill ups and hope it goes away.
I always go to a few local gas stations (Esso, Ultramar). I never smelt this with my previous car.
Maybe it is because how Honda treats the exhaust gas.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I always Go to the same local gas stations (Esso, Ultramar). I never smelt this with my previous car. It was Mercedes CLK350 and I did push the car a lot.

Maybe it is because how Honda treats the exhaust gas.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The sulfur content in gasoline varies, but all gasoline vehicles will emit a sulfur smell at times - typically following a period of heavy acceleration. The degree to which you smell it varies with the sulfur content of the gasoline, ambient conditions, and the aerodynamics of the vehicle. It may be obnoxious and undesirable to some, but it's normal.
Sponsored