OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Same 1.5 L engine as a forum member write;

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/05/cars/consumer-reports-honda-cr-v-engine-trouble/index.html

In some CR-Vs, gasoline can leak into the SUV's engine oil. That can eventually cause the engine to lose power or stall completely. Several Consumer Reports subscribers reported the issue which has also been the subject of of dozens of complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, according to the magazine. Many more owners have complained of the problem in online forums, Consumer Reports said.
Honda seems to be insisting is cold climate problem. If that's the case, Canada should get this ASAP.
Sponsored

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I called Honda to complain about rising oil levels. They said drive the car long distances. That's not a solution. I live 6 miles from my job and get up at 5am for a 12 hour shift, I don't have time to drive long distance....what's the point of having a fuel efficent car. Hoping they fix this issue soon.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wonder if anything is replaced for manual transmission cars, besides the reflash.
AC control unit. Mine was the first manual car done by my dealership, they have sold only a few...

Tapirov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 2018
Hello,

Im living in Turkey, my 2018 civic is at 3600kms. Mostly driving short distances (8 kms per day). When i check the stick, it smells a bit of gas... Climate im driving in is around 15 - 30 degrees. I think i might have an issue :/

At weekends, i drive my car at least 20kms, does this help to get rid of gas in the oil?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The gas isn't affecting anything adversely as long as you're changing your oil at proper intervals. We have loads of oil analysis proving this. Every single turbo direct injection engine will have a fuel smell in the oil.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

Just keep an eye on your dip stick. If your oil is rising dramatically then you could have a potential issue if it rises too high. This is really only an issue in extremely cold climates.

If you're concerned, switch to a higher quality full synthetic oil.

Last edited:

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello,

Im living in Turkey, my 2018 civic is at 3600kms. Mostly driving short distances (8 kms per day). When i check the stick, it smells a bit of gas... Climate im driving in is around 15 - 30 degrees. I think i might have an issue :/

At weekends, i drive my car at least 20kms, does this help to get rid of gas in the oil?
Avoid idling, short trips, especially when it doesn't warm up enough.
To evaporate the fuel you can go to 5-6000 rpms a couple of times during a trip to get it hot.

Tapirov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 2018
Avoid idling, short trips, especially when it doesn't warm up enough.
To evaporate the fuel you can go to 5-6000 rpms a couple of times during a trip to get it hot.
There is no way of avoiding short trips because my work is 4kms away from home. I bought this car to "drive". It doesnt make sense to let it stay in the garage :/

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol how do you avoid short trips altogether..
Haha, good one. Just happens 99% of my trips are over what Honda calls short trips, 8km.

When I used to have my Prelude it was the perfect excuse to lengthen my(then) short commute.

Last edited:
OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is no way of avoiding short trips because my work is 4kms away from home. I bought this car to "drive". It doesnt make sense to let it stay in the garage :/
You are not forced to do it and pretty sure nothing bad will happen to your car if you don't.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The oil gets diluted with fuel but , isn't it much worse that the oil gets washed away from the cylinder walls ? The lubrication between piston and wall is gone for a moment...

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The oil gets diluted with fuel but , isn't it much worse that the oil gets washed away from the cylinder walls ? The lubrication between piston and wall is gone for a moment...
It's not that dramatic.
People have done lots Used Oil Analysis and wear numbers aren't worse than for cars with no oil dilution.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Wonder if this is an issue if you are tuned. Guessing it's not as they normally run leaner at idle.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wonder if this is an issue if you are tuned. Guessing it's not as they normally run leaner at idle.
Exactly, wanted to ask this question in the tuning section for a long time.
I understood that a big part of the cause is Honda tuning the engine for emissions in the first place and then fuel economy and performance.
If that, a good tune should improve things.
Sponsored