First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L CVT Ktuner Stage 1
Country flag
Hi, all,

My car is 2016 Civic ex-l 1.5T. I got my oil changed 2 monsth ago and this morning I found the oil level exceeded the high limit?

I wiped out the oil from thr stick then dip it in, but this dipstick is really hard to see.
I live in Houston and drive 20min to school, like 20miles per day. It shouldn't have oil dilution. . . It's still under warranty, now shall I take it to dealership to check/fix?
Honda Civic 10th gen Is this oil dilution? 20181212_083644
Honda Civic 10th gen Is this oil dilution? 20181212_083434
Honda Civic 10th gen Is this oil dilution? 20181212_083625

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Did you check the level after the previous oil change? You're waiting until the car has sat for a while to check the level too, right?

OP
OP
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you check the level after the previous oil change? You're waiting until the car has sat for a while to check the level too, right?
No, I didn't check the oil level because dealership changed for me. I checked it in the morning before I turned on the engine. So it's cold overnight.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
No, I didn't check the oil level because dealership changed for me. I checked it in the morning before I turned on the engine. So it's cold overnight.
It may be dilution, or they could've overfilled it when they changed it. Dealers usually put their entry level techs on oil changes..

OP
OP
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It may be dilution, or they could've overfilled it when they changed it. Dealers usually put their entry level techs on oil changes..
Damn. I assume dealership would do everything right. So I didn't check at all.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi, all,

I wiped out the oil from the stick then dip it in, but this dipstick is really hard to see.
I agree... The Orange Plastic seems to make it far more difficult to judge the oil level, than the old style, all metal Dip Sticks - especially if the oil is reasonably new and still clear.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you for that, I will have a smile on my face all day now, thinking about your post !!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

I do my oil change and wheel change myself.
I never go to a dealer I have my own trusty mechanic in my hometown

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Any dealership (or any other shop) work has to be checked. The simpler the job, the more carefully it needs to be examined. If you had your transmission replaced at the dealer, or some other involved work like steering or suspension, you actually have a good chance it was done right. But oil or coolant changes or wheel rotations etc. are done by low paid dim boys and need to be verified in detail if you don’t want your wheel to fall off, drive without oil or with some strange brown fluid in your radiator (happened to me). I’m amazed how often they screw up, and how they can screw up again when they are asked to fix their previous screw up. After all, every employee is usually tested for drugs only once, when they are hired, and I hear in the news that we are currently having an extreme nationwide opiate abuse problem.

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
Any dealership (or any other shop) work has to be checked. The simpler the job, the more carefully it needs to be examined. If you had your transmission replaced at the dealer, or some other involved work like steering or suspension, you actually have a good chance it was done right. But oil or coolant changes or wheel rotations etc. are done by low paid dim boys and need to be verified in detail if you don’t want your wheel to fall off, drive without oil or with some strange brown fluid in your radiator (happened to me). I’m amazed how often they screw up, and how they can screw up again when they are asked to fix their previous screw up. After all, every employee is usually tested for drugs only once, when they are hired, and I hear in the news that we are currently having an extreme nationwide opiate abuse problem.
How can you check for bad wheel rotation or alignment? I have to get my first oil change from the dealer. I will more than likely dump the oil immediately afterwards and do it myself anyways bc the dealer wants records.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
How can you check for bad wheel rotation or alignment? I have to get my first oil change from the dealer. I will more than likely dump the oil immediately afterwards and do it myself anyways bc the dealer wants records.
You can check if the the lug nuts are all in place and tight. If you have plastic wheel covers, you can check whether they put them back in correctly, or you might lose them on the way home (happened to my daughter). For alignment, check whether your steering wheel is oriented straight when you are going straight (happened to me - kind of annoying when the steering wheel is rotated several degrees).

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
You can check if the the lug nuts are all in place and tight.
It's funny you mention lug nuts... my father had his rear wheels almost fall off on the highway doing 80 because they never torqued them down and the lugs came off!! That was a close one. Same thing happened to another friend I know, different dealer.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Mark -- you are so right !! (Unfortunately especially for those that put absolute faith in their Dealer) .

Talking of faith, I can see many similarities between "The Dealership" and "The Church" -- but talking about that in any detail would just get me into too much trouble :)
Sponsored