Ktuner for CVT - Noob questions

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any advantage if you unlock the Ktuner instead of just flashing to factory?
yeah, if the dealer totals your car or it burns to the ground while there, you ktuner is already unlocked and ready to go on the next honda!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, if the dealer totals your car or it burns to the ground while there, you ktuner is already unlocked and ready to go on the next honda!
:lol:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any advantage if you unlock the Ktuner instead of just flashing to factory?
On locking your Ktuner the ECU's software is stored in Ktuner. On unlocking, that same software is loaded back into the ECU. If the dealer flashes the ECU with a new version of the ECU software then it will be lost if you didn't unlock the Ktuner when you load your tune. If you unlocked then the version that the dealer loaded into the ECU will be saved into the Ktuner when you relock the Ktuner. The new version of the software will then be available, in Ktuner, to be reinstalled when you unlock Ktuner again to sell the car.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The factory softwares are all built into the KTuner software, so nothing gets lost, but you're right it would load in the most relevant version available to match when it sets the unit back up after locking.

spiikey1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
The factory softwares are all built into the KTuner software, so nothing gets lost, but you're right it would load in the most relevant version available to match when it sets the unit back up after locking.
So when we first plug in, the unit automatically backs up our current factory ECU flash and saves it?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
^^^ I hoped it could do this, but it apparently doesn't. It only has the copy that KTuner has stored on their servers and assumes it is the same as what the factory put in your car.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^^ I hoped it could do this, but it apparently doesn't. It only has the copy that KTuner has stored on their servers and assumes it is the same as what the factory put in your car.
I would guess that it does a version check and won't overwrite the ECU software if it is newer version than it is expecting.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
As has been explained, if your software differs from what we already have the software will tell you it's not supported and to contact us. If it continues then the matching software has already been retrieved and is built into the KTuner software. We're not going to make every single person waste 15-20 minutes backing up their ECU contents when we already have it.

nu1mlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan Executive
Hi,
I'm picking up my 2017 sedan executive on Saturday (can't wait) with almost no miles on it.

I'm from Sweden (car too) and am wondering if I can order Ktuner and use it on my Swedish car? As far as I know, it's the same 1.5L engine as the US.

Sorry if this is stupid. I know nothing about cars (except being good at driving (I work as a driver) but I guess everyone claim to be) but I thought it better to ask than mess something up.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,
I'm picking up my 2017 sedan executive on Saturday (can't wait) with almost no miles on it.

I'm from Sweden (car too) and am wondering if I can order Ktuner and use it on my Swedish car? As far as I know, it's the same 1.5L engine as the US.

Sorry if this is stupid. I know nothing about cars (except being good at driving (I work as a driver) but I guess everyone claim to be) but I thought it better to ask than mess something up.

Thanks!
Your best bet will be to check the ECU number on the side of the ECU once you pick it up and then check the Ktuner website to see if its a supported ECU and if it is not, then email ktuner.

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
Good morning. I have a Noob Question. I just got the KTuner v2 for my CVT and I just want to make sure I do this correctly before flashing for the first time, momentarily. I am looking for the "Stage 2 DUAL" base tune mentioned on their website, but the only DUAL that comes up in the software is a "Starter Dual". Is this the exact same thing? My apologizes if this has been answered before but I could not find anything, I appreciate your assistance.

This is what I am looking for:

Stage 2 Dual Calibration (CVT and MT):
Improved throttle response
Removed throttle dampening on low end, better performance off the line
Reduced turbo lag with aggressive spool up
Improved low-end and midrange torque
Factory boost in ECO mode
Boost raised to 21psi in normal
Producing a much more sporty feel, drivability, and additional top end power!

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner for CVT - Noob questions SFtkG1K

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Starter dual 21 is correct. You will have the option of also changing some settings to adjust driveability. The Econ button can be set for a different psi or factory.

Stage 2 is a canned tune with no adjustability and no switching to factory with the Econ button.

Last edited:

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
Starter dual is correct. You will have the option of also changing some settings to adjust driveability.
Awesome. Thank you!! On my way outside to get this started :spaz::spaz:

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
I just flashed the "Starter Dual Target 21 PSI" on my CVT and WOW!!!! That was an AMAZING drive!! No more lagging when accelerating and getting to high speeds was instant. I might have to change to Stage 0 or 1 until I get used to this. :rofl:

I was a bit concerned initially on tuning my Civic but after reading these forums I felt more comfortable. It took less than 2 miles for all the Honda Sensing features errors to go away. The only error that stayed on was the "Auto High-Beam Problem" but that also went away right after turning off the vehicle and back on. Everything seems to be working 100%.

Thanks again to everyone who posts in these forums with great information regarding this amazing product :)