How to do a hard reset?

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Ugh, sorry guys....I'm sure this has been covered but I'm not having luck finding it. I guess I bragged too soon about no infotainment issues. Last week it started acting a bit sluggish, and today it took lots of craps. First, it wouldn't connect to my phone forever, telling me it wasn't a compatible phone once. Hard restarted the phone, didn't help. After lots of waiting and unplugging the phone 2000 times, it finally booted up. The Google maps navigation was then having problems with late/partial/choppy directions audio prompts. So I got to my stop, shut the car off and the audio stayed on. Came out 25 minutes later and it was STILL ON. walk away locks started being a lot more miss than hit at the same time the audio issues began. Lastly today, the side mirror camera stopped coming up on the display with the turn signal or even pushing the button.

I'd thought I had read to hard reset you push the audio area and hold down the top button. This did nothing. I rebooted it by holding the audio, but this doesn't completely reboot stuff like restarting a computer does.

Love the car and love the infotainment, just hope they get this working right soon. Not interested in standing outside in - 15 degree wind chills disconnecting my battery so my brand new car doesn't suck.
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Hold down the audio power button and you will get the notice (this is not the physical brightness button at the top). You may want to be sure your infotainment is set to refresh itself every night at 2AM or another time of your choosing. They've used a horribly underpowered android device, so resets are a regular requirement (unlike a quality tablet or phone which can run for weeks without issues).

I believe you got to the System settings, then Others, and then you will find your Memory Refresh options. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hold down the audio power button and you will get the notice (this is not the physical brightness button at the top). You may want to be sure your infotainment is set to refresh itself every night at 2AM or another time of your choosing. They've used a horribly underpowered android device, so resets are a regular requirement (unlike a quality tablet or phone which can run for weeks without issues).

I believe you got to the System settings, then Others, and then you will find your Memory Refresh options. Hope this helps.
I checked that today, and it was already set to do so. I think the "refresh" is more like putting a PC in sleep mode vs an actual restart. Ugh, unless there is something I am missing, it looks like having to unhook the battery is the only way to give it a true restart. Anyone?

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You can pull the fuse for the radio and the amplifier easier than dosconnecting the battery. The result is equally as effective. The fuses are located in the box in the engine compartment near the battery. They are identified in the picture on the bottom of the cover.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll give it a try. Love the tech in this car, but it seems that it wasn't quite ready for market, IMHO.

You can pull the fuse for the radio and the amplifier easier than dosconnecting the battery. The result is equally as effective. The fuses are located in the box in the engine compartment near the battery. They are identified in the picture on the bottom of the cover.

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Agreed, the Bluetooth and USB connections leave something to be desired. I'm sure Honda will put out some good updates. I haven't taken my Touring in yet as I'm quite sure the first update won't be the last.

davanata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Honda Civic 10th gen How to do a hard reset? Capture.JPG
Android Auto issue possibly solved!
I've had my Touring for about 3 weeks, then suddenly Android Auto won't load anymore when I plug in the USB. I went through the manual to see if there was any setup stuff i should do, and i think I've discovered the issue. According to the manual I need to be using an iPhone to run Android Auto.

Anyways, i'm going to try pulling the fuse tonight and see if that fixes it.

ahiguero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Honda Civic EX-L With Navigation
Capture.JPG
Android Auto issue possibly solved!
I've had my Touring for about 3 weeks, then suddenly Android Auto won't load anymore when I plug in the USB. I went through the manual to see if there was any setup stuff i should do, and i think I've discovered the issue. According to the manual I need to be using an iPhone to run Android Auto.

Anyways, i'm going to try pulling the fuse tonight and see if that fixes it.
did pulling the fuse fixed it?

cw5h2o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I checked that today, and it was already set to do so. I think the "refresh" is more like putting a PC in sleep mode vs an actual restart. Ugh, unless there is something I am missing, it looks like having to unhook the battery is the only way to give it a true restart. Anyone?
Just had this same problem and swung by the dealer to see if there was anything they could do. The Quick Service guys said that to do a hard reset of the infotainment system, you need to hold down the dimmer switch while pressing the audio off and menu buttons at the same time. Hold them down for a long time, until the screen asks if you want to reboot. (You may have to let go and hold them down more than once.) Select yes, and the system will reboot. That fixed my problem! The guy said that they recommend doing this every six months or so, since a lot of data can cache in these systems, and the reboot clears it. Hope this is useful.

ahiguero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Honda Civic EX-L With Navigation
This is new to me. i have been able to do a reboot just by pressing the "on" button on the infotainment system untill it asks for a reboot.

Toekiyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
has anyone ever done this? Just curious if this helps to fix anything.
I would also like to know if the factory reset will clear Sirius so I can get a proper refresh and possibly fix some Sirius radio issues

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Yeah I'm having trouble with my headunit, need to hard reset it, anyone know which fuse to remove to reset it?