OP
OP
hal9000

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
So the shift knob went as expected..very easy.

Tools needed:
Phillips head
Thumbnails

Time 10-15 minutes

On the select lever there's a silver trim ring between the knob and the boot. On the ring are two raised indicators. If viewed from above they'd be in the 3 and 9 o'clock position.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpso0wqcfjh

Directly below these indicators hidden inside the boot are two tabs on the base of the knob. These basically hold the silver trim ring up.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpskgxf5wh

Feel through the boot and locate the two tabs. Pinch both tabs with one hand while pressing down on the trim ring with your other hand. The trim ring will slide down. You can see in the first picture how the trim ring is separated. The bottom mounting screw is now exposed.

Next you're going to remove the black plastic cover plate from the front of the knob. It's held by two tabs located near the bottom of the cover. This picture shows the location of the tabs. This is where you'll want to place your thumbnails.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpsdhl2uq0u

Insert a thumbnail on each side between the cover and the knob. Gently push forward towards the dash.The cover will pop off. The top mounting screw is now exposed. Here's a shot of the tabs inside the cover as well as the two mounting screw holes on the knob.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpsjdvc27tf

I used a stubby Phillips head to remove the two screws holding the knob on. Once the screws are removed the knob will simply slide up and off.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpscvekapwf

From this point everything is basically the reverse.
Add new knob and reinsert screws.
Pop plastic cover back on.
Slide silver trim ring up until it clicks in place.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zps3txurzh5

alfaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
thanks...can't wait to see the auto dimming mirror go in..please diy that....did you buy a harness for the mirror?

kwijibodavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1994 how da civic
I'm interested how the auto dim mirror comes out I have a lx and am curious what all can be put in with minimal modification

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm interested how the auto dim mirror comes out I have a lx and am curious what all can be put in with minimal modification
I have an EX and just installed my Auto Dimming Mirror (Auto Day/Night Mirror) and Fog Light Kit last weekend (both require access to some of the same areas under the dash). The mirror installation was relatively easy compared to the Fog Light Kit installation which was brutal. Both installs went very well in the end but installing the fog lights took much more time and effort than expected even after reviewing the instructions (24 pages worth).

Anyway, on a difficulty level from 1 -10, with 10 being the hardest, I give the Auto Dim Mirror installation a 3, or if you don't often do DYI projects and/or have all the necessary tools, make that a 5. I did take some pictures, but it was unfortunately very sunny outside which created shadows in the areas of interest inside the car, so they didn't come out that well. You do have to make sure to disconnect the battery as you'll be running a wire harness and will be working around the driver's side post airbag. You will also need to be sure to have clean hands at all times as you'll be touching the head liner quite a bit. Also, it will be helpful to have a plastic pry tool as you'll be prying out some pastic parts and using a screwdriver will damage them, and I do recommend using masking tape on any plastic parts you will be prying to avoid marking and scratches in case of an accidental slip, etc.

You will find detailed Auto Day Night Mirror instructions, including tools needed here --->> http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/pdf/2016-honda-civic/2016-honda-civic-auto-day-night-mirror.PDF

Hope this helps!

kwijibodavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an EX and just installed my Auto Dimming Mirror (Auto Day/Night Mirror) and Fog Light Kit last weekend (both require access to some of the same areas under the dash). The mirror installation was relatively easy compared to the Fog Light Kit installation which was brutal. Both installs went very well in the end but installing the fog lights took much more time and effort than expected even after reviewing the instructions (24 pages worth).

Anyway, on a difficulty level from 1 -10, with 10 being the hardest, I give the Auto Dim Mirror installation a 3, or if you don't often do DYI projects and/or have all the necessary tools, make that a 5. I did take some pictures, but it was unfortunately very sunny outside which created shadows in the areas of interest inside the car, so they didn't come out that well. You do have to make sure to disconnect the battery as you'll be running a wire harness and will be working around the driver's side post airbag. You will also need to be sure to have clean hands at all times as you'll be touching the head liner quite a bit. Also, it will be helpful to have a plastic pry tool as you'll be prying out some pastic parts and using a screwdriver will damage them, and I do recommend using masking tape on any plastic parts you will be prying to avoid marking and scratches in case of an accidental slip, etc.

You will find detailed Auto Day Night Mirror instructions, including tools needed here --->> http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/pdf/2016-honda-civic/2016-honda-civic-auto-day-night-mirror.PDF

Hope this helps!

Yea I'm a full time technician so I'm sure it won't be that hard for myself I was just curious if anyone knew if it was pretty much a plug and play type deal

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I'm a full time technician so I'm sure it won't be that hard for myself I was just curious if anyone knew if it was pretty much a plug and play type deal
It should be quite easy for you then, plug and play.

Just one thing, when I ordered mine, it did not come with the harness and hardware, just the mirror. I had to order the harness kit separately..

cromero18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I'm thankful Honda offers the EX-T. I realize I'm in the minority but I prefer heated cloth seats. I also prefer a leather steering wheel/shift knob and auto dimming mirror. Paying the $1500 premium for the EX-L to gain those items wasn't worth it for me. Could care less about a power seat. After some searching I've found you can sort of build your Civic with two of the four EX-L only items, for what I consider a reasonable price.

I'm not sure if it's a glitch in the system or because the Civic is so new but the leather steering wheel is currently listed at the same price as the vinyl one. I paid $87 for mine. Added the shift knob for another $48. Shipped it was $160 for both. I then ordered the auto dimming mirror and mounting kit for $140 shipped. So $300 total. What's nice is that you can a la carte these however you like.

The mirror can be ordered from any place selling the accessories.
Part Numbers:
Steering Wheel 78501-TBA-A21ZA
Shift Knob 54130-TBA-L82ZA

Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpsurkjlooq

Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zps88he6hma
[/QUOTE

Have you installed the leather steering wheel? If so how difficult was it and do you have pictures or videos of the installation? Thanks in advance

Wrecks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Automatic & 2006 CR-V
Country flag
Does anybody know if you can replace the back of the center console in the LX with the EX version and run a wiring harness to install an extra USB charging port?

kwijibodavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
would anyone have a list of extras that would come in the touring vs the lx

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would anyone have a list of extras that would come in the touring vs the lx
You will find vehicle specs by model HERE. You will need to scroll to see the options, etc.

Alternately, you will find a comparison page by model HERE

Hope these help. :)

alfaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
can someone post pics of auto dimming mirror upgrade when you do it...done it in my sienna, but would sure like to look at some step by step....also someone else posted they used a gentex autodim 313...those are fairly cheap on ebay....anyone have any input on that

opckieran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX BNP
Just a heads up, I just tried to order a few items from http://www.hondapartswholesaledirect.com/ (2/17/16) and they told me some items were out of stock due to "an availability/pricing issue with American Honda".

The email I received is below

________________________________________________________________________________
Hello;
Part numbers : 83449-TBA-A01ZA , 83419-TBA-A01ZA are not for sale at present time due to an availability/pricing issue with American Honda . 08703-R560PAH-A1 PAINT *R560P* is currently on backorder with a current release date of 3/10/2016 . Would you like to cancel this order? or keep the paint on order and be issued a refund for the other two items? Please let us know.

Thank you,

Richard
________________________________________________________________________________

I wonder just how extensive this is?

cromero18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I have. Just haven't had time to put up the info. I should have some time hopefully Monday or Tuesday to put it up.
So I was trying to set up the steering wheel. Went well right up until the airbag system. It's completely different from previous models. Any chance you can help out from this stage?
Sponsored