Cusco Center Power Brace vs Spoon Stiff Plate

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
So I'm doing some comparison shopping, and i'm looking at the Cusco Center Power Brace compared to the Spoon Front Stiff Plate. Both seem to tie in to the exact same points on the chassis, with the Spoon hitting two additional bolt holes compared to the Cusco.

The Spoon piece has a very nice OEM style look, but the cheapest I've been able to find it is around $700.
The Cusco piece looks very well constructed and to my eye looks like it would be stronger? and it is closer to $200...

Any particular reason other than brand name, that the Spoon is worth three times the price of the Cusco piece?

Honda Civic 10th gen Cusco Center Power Brace vs Spoon Stiff Plate cusco

Honda Civic 10th gen Cusco Center Power Brace vs Spoon Stiff Plate stiff-plate

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Get this instead and save a ton of $$$ for more useful suspension mods.

OP
OP
The Vyzitor

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get this instead and save a ton of $$$ for more useful suspension mods.

What more useful suspension mods? Stiffening the chassis and better tires have always been my first go-to mods.

For the price of the just the single Spoon piece, I could get an assortment of Cusco braces from MAPerformance...

Honda Civic 10th gen Cusco Center Power Brace vs Spoon Stiff Plate Capture.JPG

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh.:rolleyes: That was my point when I replied about the Type R brace and having money leftover for more useful mods (like a beefier rear sway and tires).

Not even sure why I post here anymore. Sorry to give you a helpful, money saving link. Sheesh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Vyzitor

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ugh.:rolleyes: That was my point when I replied about the Type R brace and having money leftover for more useful mods (like a beefier rear sway and tires).

Not even sure why I post here anymore. Sorry to give you a helpful, money saving link. Sheesh.
Lol i was genuinely curious what mods you were talking about, and appreciate the input. I'll add a rear sway to the growing list.

So you would say the car would be better off with just that Type R brace, tires, and a rear sway versus just the above braces, and later on adding tires?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. Tires
2. Beefier rear sway
3. One piece fsb
4. Subframe brace

But that's just my take.

OP
OP
The Vyzitor

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1. Tires
2. Beefier rear sway
3. One piece fsb
4. Subframe brace

But that's just my take.
What rear sway bar would you recommend? I've had good experiences with Eibach in the past, but I'm open to try anything.

One piece FSB, so DC > Cusco. Got it.

and for the subframe, If i've already bought the other items on your list, would you still recommend the Type R piece over the say the Cusco or Spoon?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Front strut bar - Ultra Racing or DC Sports

Rear sway bar - Use the OEM Si bar for the best bang for the buck upgrade.

I'm sure the Spoon and Cusco are better but the Type R subframe brace and bolts are only $20 so why not?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The spoon brace is stamped out of sheet metal and has higher cost to build it .It also braces a larger area then the cusco.
If not looking at the price tag ,the spoon piece is much better imo.
But the money could be better spend elsewhere,it's only 1 reinforcement on the entire car.

OP
OP
The Vyzitor

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Front strut bar - Ultra Racing or DC Sports

Rear sway bar - Use the OEM Si bar for the best bang for the buck upgrade.

I'm sure the Spoon and Cusco are better but the Type R subframe brace and bolts are only $20 so why not?
Just ordered the Type R brace and bolts, and the Si sway bar and Accord end links. $139 all in, shipped. Thanks for the advice! I may get the Spoon brace someday but for now, these will do.

now to find the best price on that DC bar

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Nice!
Its just my way - in addition, I got SI springs, Type R shifter + full compliment of Acuity add ons. Combined with what you ordered, my family Hatch feels much tighter, all without harshness - important, Hatch is my wife's car!
Light weight wheels + tires are also good for improved handling, so I ordered and just received Rays 57CR +37, will wrap wheels with Michelin PS4S when it comes in from Costco.
Better shocks and 27Won's tower brace will complete my mod for the fun ratio on the Hatch.
No tune to affect the reliability factor. Since I already have a highly modded C6 Corvette when I feel the need to satisfied for gut wrenching power and handling.
Good luck and have fun in which ever way you choose!!

OP
OP
The Vyzitor

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice!
Its just my way - in addition, I got SI springs, Type R shifter + full compliment of Acuity add ons. Combined with what you ordered, my family Hatch feels much tighter, all without harshness - important, Hatch is my wife's car!
Light weight wheels + tires are also good for improved handling, so I ordered and just received Rays 57CR +37, will wrap wheels with Michelin PS4S when it comes in from Costco.
Better shocks and 27Won's tower brace will complete my mod for the fun ratio on the Hatch.
No tune to affect the reliability factor. Since I already have a highly modded C6 Corvette when I feel the need to satisfied for gut wrenching power and handling.
Good luck and have fun in which ever way you choose!!
I'm debating on the SI springs as well... I want a little more spring rate but I DON'T want to be too much lower.

Just read the thread about the 27Won bar... absolutely adding that to my list to buy
Sponsored

Last edited: