Current '17 Si owner, Should I move up to a Type R?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both of my friends that have Type Rs paid msrp and both daily them. One already has 15K on it. To each their own I guess.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
"Better in every way?" How, exactly, is that? A stiffer suspension, losing heated seats, losing a power moonroof, a higher cost of ownership (Premium fuel requirements, more expensive tires that wear out faster, higher insurance premiums, worse MPG), in my mind, is no where near "Better in every way". I mean, if that's what a person wants, then go for it.... the CTR is a sweet ride. But stating that a Type R is "better in every way" than a Civic Si is simply an inaccurate statement. That's like saying a Lear Jet is better in every way than a Cub. They are two different products with two different purposes.

You can never make a SI handle like a R, you will never make the power a R will make , a simple hondata tune gives it almost 350hp 370ft tq. The suspension is totally different. You are running a made in india clutch and flywheel/tranny, type r tranny is made in japan and can hold well over 400hp. The Type R has several more weld points for structural integrity, Sport mode and Type R mode blows away the SI. Overall the type R has way better performance parts already on the car , not to mention the aero /engine , The 2.0 has forged pistons , stronger valves , better turbo, better intake , better brakes, better rotors, better bushings and control arms,

even if you spent 15k on a SI it will never handle as good as a Type R and hold the power as well. The SI can be quick but maybe in a straight line only

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Imo, the type r is not a daily driver. The cost of the tires alone on a yearly basis takes it out of contention for me. And even as big as a Honda fanboy I am, I can’t see paying over msrp for that car. I don’t care how it performs or what it represents, it’s still a civic in the end...imo, Honda should have shaved off all the flare and kept the price point at 30k or so and produced enough of them so they would sell at that and not the ridiculous prices they have been.

In any event, my thought after having this car in the mountains, and on/off ramps and just nearby curvy roads, I can’t imagine needing anything that handles better. It still amazes me...I’ve scared many of passengers on curvy roads and Myself at times. If I had anything that handled better I’d truly be dangerous as at any higher speeds, a crash would most certainly invoke severe injury or death.
Thats why you buy a different set of rims for the winter, and yes its a daily driver , obviously you have not been on the FK8 forum

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Doesn't matter that its a Civic, its a 35k dollar civic...
The 35k civic type r will maintain its value and go up like the S2000
while the SI will continue to drop and will be a dime a dozen in the future

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Sorry to derail the thread here, but you seem to have a good idea of what numbers are being made on the SI with bolt ons. I finished all the mods that i want to do on my Si recently, and i was wondering what my peak WHP would be. My mods are: PRL CAI with race MAF, PRL dp/fp (catted), PRL intercooler, fx350 clutch, and ktuner with custom tune from vit. Any idea what my WHP would be? thanks
with all those parts you are up to almost spending 3k which is fine, but do yourself a favor just get the R for 7-9k more and, you will have a smile on your face when you leave the dealer.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
You can never make a SI handle like a R, you will never make the power a R will make , a simple hondata tune gives it almost 350hp 370ft tq. The suspension is totally different. You are running a made in india clutch and flywheel/tranny, type r tranny is made in japan and can hold well over 400hp. The Type R has several more weld points for structural integrity, Sport mode and Type R mode blows away the SI. Overall the type R has way better performance parts already on the car , not to mention the aero /engine , The 2.0 has forged pistons , stronger valves , better turbo, better intake , better brakes, better rotors, better bushings and control arms,

even if you spent 15k on a SI it will never handle as good as a Type R and hold the power as well. The SI can be quick but maybe in a straight line only
You're listing the differences between the Type R and the Si. You're not listing any advantages. The poster I quoted had simply stated "The Type R is better in every way than an Si". My point was that sure, while it's a faster car, that doesn't necessarily equal 'better'.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
You're listing the differences between the Type R and the Si. You're not listing any advantages. The poster I quoted had simply stated "The Type R is better in every way than an Si". My point was that sure, while it's a faster car, that doesn't necessarily equal 'better'.
What are you talking about ? What is your definition of advantages? When it comes to the civic line of vehicles? I listed plenty of advantages over the Si when it comes to the suspension, engine and aero . It has already been proven you can’t make a regular civic , si into a type r even if you spent 15k dollars. The type r is a completely different platform thus has many more advantages over any other civic made. Oh it’s a better car , maybe you should research why it’s a better car and why it was chosen as one of the top 10 collector cars to get.
This guy is funny , you are just arguing with yourself and trying to justfify your Si purchase.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
What are you talking about ? What is your definition of advantages? When it comes to the civic line of vehicles? I listed plenty of advantages over the Si when it comes to the suspension, engine and aero . It has already been proven you can’t make a regular civic , si into a type r even if you spent 15k dollars. The type r is a completely different platform thus has many more advantages over any other civic made. Oh it’s a better car , maybe you should research why it’s a better car and why it was chosen as one of the top 10 collector cars to get.
This guy is funny , you are just arguing with yourself and trying to justfify your Si purchase.
Once again, you are listing the differences between the two cars. A more powerful engine and a stiffer suspension aren't advantages, they are differences... unless you're talking about racing/tracking the car of course (and yes, those are definitely advantages if your goal is faster lap times). And once again, I was quoting someone's post about how the "Type R is better in every way than an Si". You're taking my comment out of context, hence the reason why you feel like "I'm arguing with myself".

And just to clarify, I'm not "trying to justify my Si purchase". A car is an investment and money doesn't grow on trees (it may for you, but I assure you it doesn't for me), so I do a lot of research before buying a car. I drive cars for 10+ years as I don't want to have a car payment in perpetuity. The Si is exactly what I need in a car; it's powerful, sporty, roomy, fuel efficient, and inexpensive. That's not justification; that's fact. I had the opportunity to buy a Type R, no dealer markup, but passed. Why? For the very reasons I stated in the post you quoted, but apparently didn't read (or perhaps didn't understand). That is also fact.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
What are you talking about ? What is your definition of advantages?
No he's right. You listed the differences between the SI and the CTR. Advantage can have a different meaning for different people.

Just because the car has more power/handle better that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better car for everyone. Sure, it's a better car for people like us who are looking for performance but not everyone needs the power or handling. Maybe a car that is more comfortable/fuel efficient is a better car for their situation/purpose.

you have to first ask what they are going to be using the car for and then decide which is a "better" car. A better engine/aero is useless when all you plan on using the car for is your freeway commute in bumper to bumper traffic.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
with all those parts you are up to almost spending 3k which is fine, but do yourself a favor just get the R for 7-9k more and, you will have a smile on your face when you leave the dealer.
One could very easily make the argument that 7-9K more would most definitely not get you a Type R, otherwise I think that a great many SI owners would have done this. In my case, I looked all over the Northeast and couldn't find a single Type R for less that 10K ADM ($44,000 minimum). Many were $50K and above. At that price point, even with $3K in mods, you're at a $17K premium for that Type R, not $7-9K.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
d a KTuner V2. If I spent another $3,500 on a turbo upgrade and install (wouldn't DIY a turbo kit), and $1,200 on tires, and $500 for springs and install, I could have a car that's about 40 whp faster than a Type R, with handling that comes decently close. If you left the SI suspension and tires as is (they're pretty decent already), it's $5K total in parts and labor for me - $7K with the suspension and tires. That's ~$29K - $31K total.

If the Type R could be had for MSRP, I would probably just go that route and safe myself the trouble (and have a war
The type R can be bought at msrp or with 2k in accessories if you took your time and looked

Last edited:

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Once again, you are listing the differences between the two cars. A more powerful engine and a stiffer suspension aren't advantages, they are differences... unless you're talking about racing/tracking the car of course (and yes, those are definitely advantages if your goal is faster lap times). And once again, I was quoting someone's post about how the "Type R is better in every way than an Si". You're taking my comment out of context, hence the reason why you feel like "I'm arguing with myself".

And just to clarify, I'm not "trying to justify my Si purchase". A car is an investment and money doesn't grow on trees (it may for you, but I assure you it doesn't for me), so I do a lot of research before buying a car. I drive cars for 10+ years as I don't want to have a car payment in perpetuity. The Si is exactly what I need in a car; it's powerful, sporty, roomy, fuel efficient, and inexpensive. That's not justification; that's fact. I had the opportunity to buy a Type R, no dealer markup, but passed. Why? For the very reasons I stated in the post you quoted, but apparently didn't read (or perhaps didn't understand). That is also fact.
sure the SI has more creature comforts which one could say is a advantage over the CTR , however for the money you spent on the civic si one could also say the accord 2.0 sport would have been a better car also then the CTR and SI.

I understand what you are saying.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
No he's right. You listed the differences between the SI and the CTR. Advantage can have a different meaning for different people.

Just because the car has more power/handle better that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better car for everyone. Sure, it's a better car for people like us who are looking for performance but not everyone needs the power or handling. Maybe a car that is more comfortable/fuel efficient is a better car for their situation/purpose.

you have to first ask what they are going to be using the car for and then decide which is a "better" car. A better engine/aero is useless when all you plan on using the car for is your freeway commute in bumper to bumper traffic.

I gotcha

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The type R can be bought at msrp or with 2k in accessories if you took your time and looked
This is simply not true and you do a disservice to your fellow forum members by saying so.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
This is simply not true and you do a disservice to your fellow forum members by saying so.

I think you need to do more research online because the type r can be bought at MSRP or 2500.00 over MSRP but would include accessories.

I think you are in denial bud and trying to justify your SI purchase, but its ok you did a disservice to yourself not calling around
Sponsored