New SI owner: what should I do and what have you done?

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner: what should I do and what have you done? CSI

I realize many threads like this one preceded it, so I apologize. However, I do think my post is somewhat unique in that I am a late bloomer. As a 35-year-old, I've only ever driven a Civic LXs with automatic transmissions. I did not know how to use a manual until this summer when I borrowed my mother-in-law's Fit to teach myself.

Getting the hang of using a manual transmission was an eye-opening experience. Driving became much, much more engaging. The Fit was a blast to drive. It was not fast, but cornering was a sublime experience.

I looked at my 2013 LX with 143k miles and bid it a fond farewell after test driving a 2020 Civic SI at Carmax. My SI came with 16,994 miles on the odometer. Then, 800 miles later, the clutch went; Carmax verified the previous owner abused the hell out of it and replaced it at no expense. The only downside was I had to drive a very boring Hyundai Sonata while my Civic SI was in the shop.

Currently, she's bone stock except for a TSP Stage 1 + tune. I want to do more but I've seen many threads in which pushing the car to the 300whp spells doom for your clutch and engine.

Currently, I want to focus on mods that will improve the handling experience of this car; I have a Whiteline Sway Bar kit on order and will also likely order a front strut tower bar and performance breaks.

I have no dreams of adding a bigger turbo, given the horror stories I have read. I have the stage 1+ tune, which I read can damage the clutch if MAP3 in sport mode with regular use.

My question to those with more experience tuning Civics and the 10th gen platform is, would I be hurting anything by adding an Injen short ram intake, performance downpipe, and a PRL intercooler to keep heat soak and help the turbo spool faster? Should I keep everything stock and focus on handling mods instead? What do you think, and what have you done with your Civics to keep them reliable?

This car is my daily driver, and I am lucky I have been able to remote work the past two years to avoid putting on heavy mileage. My inner hooligan still dreams, though!

Thank you all, and apologies for the long post.
Sponsored

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
100% get an intercooler for your next mod. Any of the reputable intakes are good though most people like PRL or even 27WON.

A full exhaust sounds good and the downpipe definitely helps with power.

You might as well just budget for a clutch. Most people don't hesitate to buy a $1000 exhaust but refuse to upgrade the stock clutch. Even on MAP2 of 3 on my tune I get slipping.

You can get aftermarket springs to help with handling, I would go with Eibach because I don't want a harsh ride or a crazy drop, but D2 are the most popular. Whiteline also makes springs.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not so sure an intercooler needs to be your next mod. While beneficial, Maryland typically doesn't see temps over 90 degrees (according to google lol). I would say go TIRES, Acuity shifter mods, intake, exhaust, maybe springs/coils and THEN intercooler. Personally.

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Congrats on your purchase! Coming from owning a relatively highly modified si , I think I have a good amount of information I could share. Mine makes 335whp on e30 and just about every suspension component has been upgraded. It’s my daily driver and has over 40k miles on a 2020 model. I’ve heard some of the nightmare stories as well yet I track my car and frequently push it to the limit with absolutely no issues (stock block and trans). I have a full list below if you’re interested in specifics. I would say that sticking with bolt ons and stage 1 tune is a safe bet. Watch out for the stock clutch as it’s a known weak point and will start slipping if you plan to go beyond. I ran eibach springs for a while and recently changed to coilovers for the extra adjustability. Just changing springs and sway bars is a great way to improve handling.

Engine
  • RV6 Turbo
  • PRL cobra cold air intake with race maf
  • PRL intercooler
  • PRL charge pipes
  • PRL catless down pipe
  • PRL flex fuel kit
  • Ktuner V2
  • Tuned by Derek Robinson (335)whp e30
  • Hasport rear motor mount
  • Acuity pedal relocate
  • Mishimoto catch can
Transmission
  • Acuity poco shift knob
  • Acuity short shifter assembly
  • PRL ss clutch line
  • CMC mod
  • ACT clutch kit
Suspension, Handling, Brakes
  • Tein coil overs
  • Enkei NT03RR wheels
  • Falken Azenis 660r tires
  • Brembo big brake kit
  • Steel braided brake lines
  • SPC camber arms
  • DC racing strut bar
  • Eibach front and rear sway bars
  • Eibach front and rear end links
  • White line adjustable ball joints

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
I love the TSP 1+ I run the same and have no complaints, I added a SRI (PRL) not sure how much power it added but the sounds are more then worth it.

I added lightweight wheels and sticky summer tires and man did that changes all aspects of the car. Putting the power Down and handling in general.

The CTR Shifter and acuity goodies and the CTR shift knob have changed the feel of Shifting.

I have been toying of the idea of a downpipe, but who knows…

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would I be hurting anything by adding an Injen short ram intake
Pass on the Injen intake. It has had issues with throwing off fuel trims

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
So far I've done the following: Acuity Stage 3 kit, Acuity Throttle Pedal relocator, ACT Clutch Kit, K&N Intake, RV6 Catted Downpipe, RV6 Front pipe, Invidia Exhaust, Phearable Stage 1.5 Tune via KTuner. I love the car where it's at now, it's such a blast to drive. My next mod will most likely be an intercooler, but I REALLY want to buy the Honda Factory Performance suspension. I don't have any plans to lower my car, so this suspension upgrade makes the most sense for me. From what I've heard from people that have it, it really enhances sport mode and makes the car feel much studier when handling. I just wish I had thousands of dollars worth of disposable money so I could just get everything I want at once :(

OP
OP

Pauleo1214

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1974 MB 450SE, 1982 MB 300TD
Country flag
Thank you all! I am definitely not touching the turbo; I will budgetfor a Clutchmasters Kit in the near future. I figure since I have a brand new clutch installed as a result of the previous owner's abuse, this one has some life.

Here's what I have so far,
1. Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit
2. Front Torsion Bar
3. Rev9 FMIC and piping
4. Mishimoto intake

I might opt to forego wheels (I really like the look of my stock ones). Grippy tires are a must as there are some great twisty, two lane roads in Baltimore COunty.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will budget for a Clutchmasters Kit in the near future.
I would also avoid the Cluthmasters kit. Try and get ACT, Competition, or RV6 type R retrofit with Exedy

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

GRE3N

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2018
Country flag
Ktuner, cold air intake, intercooler
That alone on a good tune will start to show you what the car is made of ;)

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CSI.jpeg

I realize many threads like this one preceded it, so I apologize. However, I do think my post is somewhat unique in that I am a late bloomer. As a 35-year-old, I've only ever driven a Civic LXs with automatic transmissions. I did not know how to use a manual until this summer when I borrowed my mother-in-law's Fit to teach myself.

Getting the hang of using a manual transmission was an eye-opening experience. Driving became much, much more engaging. The Fit was a blast to drive. It was not fast, but cornering was a sublime experience.

I looked at my 2013 LX with 143k miles and bid it a fond farewell after test driving a 2020 Civic SI at Carmax. My SI came with 16,994 miles on the odometer. Then, 800 miles later, the clutch went; Carmax verified the previous owner abused the hell out of it and replaced it at no expense. The only downside was I had to drive a very boring Hyundai Sonata while my Civic SI was in the shop.

Currently, she's bone stock except for a TSP Stage 1 + tune. I want to do more but I've seen many threads in which pushing the car to the 300whp spells doom for your clutch and engine.

Currently, I want to focus on mods that will improve the handling experience of this car; I have a Whiteline Sway Bar kit on order and will also likely order a front strut tower bar and performance breaks.

I have no dreams of adding a bigger turbo, given the horror stories I have read. I have the stage 1+ tune, which I read can damage the clutch if MAP3 in sport mode with regular use.

My question to those with more experience tuning Civics and the 10th gen platform is, would I be hurting anything by adding an Injen short ram intake, performance downpipe, and a PRL intercooler to keep heat soak and help the turbo spool faster? Should I keep everything stock and focus on handling mods instead? What do you think, and what have you done with your Civics to keep them reliable?

This car is my daily driver, and I am lucky I have been able to remote work the past two years to avoid putting on heavy mileage. My inner hooligan still dreams, though!

Thank you all, and apologies for the long post.
This blog shares a proven mod formula amongst the 10th gens.
https://www.27won.com/blog/how-to-make-300hp-on-a-10th-generation-civic-l15

YvesSaintJan

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
PRL short ram - love it
Eibach sportlines - just the right amount of drop and comfort. I highly suggest to stay away from D2 unless your about "budget the low life"

Intercooler is a must, not the most satisfying or tangible upgrade but your car engine and longevity will love it.

Wheels AFTER you lower it will make it feel new. (quality tires too..)

Enjoy your ride, make it yours and have fun
Sponsored