For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
Is this suppose to be a trick question? lol. Yes!
Sponsored

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I had to come back and change my vote. Traded in for a low miles used R and totally worth it. Initially I was just gonna stick with the Si simply due to the price difference. Frugality and all that stuff.
Don't really do track driving but the sheer capability of the car is just amazing. Totally worth it if you can grab one for MSRP. Done some minor mods and the PRL HVI and it is just fun to drive and listen to.

Granted, I've always wanted one and it is what made me want to learn stick in the first place.

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I definitely would have gotten a type R (specifically in red), but I would not give up my Si for one.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I think that you might have your info about putting a CAI in reversed. Removing the factory airbox from my old SI and installing a PRL Cobra CAI was a massive PITA. There was one bolt at the bottom of the lower airbox that points directly downwards and only has about 1 cm of clearance, and it's not possible to see it (you can only barely feel it). You then have to install a relocation bracket for the clutch line and bolt the rotomold piece into the fog light housing. All doable, but not what I'd describe as a quick install.

My Type R stock airbox came off in less than 5 minutes, and the new one went on in even less than that. No relocation brackets, no lower airbox to remove, no pint of my blood painting the floor of the engine bay.

bscags

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, i would not. The type R never grew on me, unlike the Si coupe. The first time I saw a Si coupe a few years ago I knew, this is the car for me. I love the curves and styling along with the not too obnoxious wing. I have no need for extra power and the hatchback/4 door body style does not really appeal to me (I've had 3 previous cars and all were coupes). Also I am pretty OCD about keeping my interior looking great and those red Type R seats look like a PITA to clean. I'm sure any marks on it would definitely stand out. To each their own, but I would never give up my SI for a Type R.

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
You really ought to see some of the builds on here because people are spending good money on quality mods for the Si in a very short period of time - $5 to $10K in 2 years is more than that you'd pay in difference of extra car payment for a CTR in 2 years. This means they have plenty disposable income to have spent the extra on car payments but don't want to do exactly just that. Their choice like mine is to build a lower trim for all the reasons stated by myself and others above, and not for the purpose of being a CTR beater because the two cars are quite different in their uses - Si is a better daily :)

I don't fault anyone who trades up from Si to CTR, that's one way of going about things. More power to those who are building CTR's because they are budgeting for payments and mods, and wanted a different car overall :thumbsup:
This is a great point. Im a 23 year old college grad. I make great money for someone my age and couldve saved for the CTR and not have bought my first car or my Si now. But The insurance, maintenance etc. all factored in and the Si will always be and is a great modding platform. I live for the search of new parts and im on track to be the kid to spend $10k in 2 years bc its what i budget for. It's not a clear cut choice as to "YoU sO bRoKe".

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I think the R looks amazing, I’m sure it’s a blast to drive as well.

With that said, msrp for msrp, I’d rather keep my si. The si is good for what I want/need, plus it still gets great gas mileage (if I do my part). I don’t like to draw too much attention to myself, and the R would do that. If I had the R, I’d feel like I’d need to swap out wheels and tires right away to 18s, which would be roughly 2k on top of the 10kish difference in msrp.

......now, if someone said they’d swap my si for an R (same year/mileage), I’d do it no question.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
I own both and I would trade up no questions asked.

The Si has its pros but it’s no Type R. I daily my Si and it’s good for just that for me. When I drive the R it’s smiles all day.

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
I read this question when I first joined., but did not answer. I have had my Si for about three years (purchased a 2017 in 2018, no one was buying as it was a standard and I got a hellava deal on it).

I always wish my Si had more power. I have TSP stage 1+ and I still wish it had more power. I am not a fast driver, nor do I drive crazy, and I often drive in a manner to get 40+mpg, BUT when I want to accelerate, it just gives me nothing.

Case in point: at a light, with map 3 on, and a Chrysler minivan (that must have outweighed the Si two to one) took off hard. The Si could not even remotely keep the current distance, much less keep up. I really, really hate the engine in this car. Is there a thread on what the Si can keep up with? (that is a rhetorical question, it can not keep up with a loaded dumptruck. I have certainly owned 80hp bone stock Vee-dubs from the 60s that would tear this car up, even with the Si tuned.).

All that being said, I would not trade the Si for the R for one reason: The R is four door.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I read this question when I first joined., but did not answer. I have had my Si for about three years (purchased a 2017 in 2018, no one was buying as it was a standard and I got a hellava deal on it).

I always wish my Si had more power. I have TSP stage 1+ and I still wish it had more power. I am not a fast driver, nor do I drive crazy, and I often drive in a manner to get 40+mpg, BUT when I want to accelerate, it just gives me nothing.

Case in point: at a light, with map 3 on, and a Chrysler minivan (that must have outweighed the Si two to one) took off hard. The Si could not even remotely keep the current distance, much less keep up. I really, really hate the engine in this car. Is there a thread on what the Si can keep up with? (that is a rhetorical question, it can not keep up with a loaded dumptruck. I have certainly owned 80hp bone stock Vee-dubs from the 60s that would tear this car up, even with the Si tuned.).

All that being said, I would not trade the Si for the R for one reason: The R is four door.
If you're having a hard time keeping up with a minivan, take your car in and get it checked out or go buy an automatic as clearly you have no idea what you're doing.

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
If you're having a hard time keeping up with a minivan, take your car in and get it checked out or go buy an automatic as clearly you have no idea what you're doing.
Drove a standard all my life. Think I know what I am doing, used to drag modified VWs in high school.

Maybe you are correct though... perhaps something is up with my engine.

swampm0nsta

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag

You can lie like some people on this forum and say they beat GT's and SS Camaro's and Scatty's :doh:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
You're talking about installing a CAI on a Type R? Not sure what videos you're watching but it's a 20 min job tops. There is no lower airbox or resonator on the R's intake - it's literally just a box that pops out with three bolts. I've easily taken mine in and out repeatedly for various jobs, and on a scale of 1 to expert mechanic, I'm a 2.
Sponsored