Cross Shopping the civic hatch & mazda3 2017

Kluch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 civic
Has anyone recently driven and cross shopped these two vehicles? I can't help but think the mazda3 gives you more for your money with regards to the trims lower than the grand touring. I'm looking specifically at civic sport and ex vs the touring and touring 2.5 on the mazda3 hatch. Example, the mazda touring gives you push button start, dual zone climate control, heated front seats and six speakers, the civic hatch gives you none of those (4 speakers on the sport). I guess the trade off is the lack of a turbo and a much less powerful engine. Just thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts or had recently taken a look at the two (granted the new mazda3 '17s are just now rolling in).
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
If you're not dead set on new, lightly used Mazda 3's can be had for $15-18k.

OP
OP

Kluch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 civic
Keeping under 100K? Mazda 3 hands down. The more I read about it, the more I'm impressed.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-honda-civic-vs-mazda3-sedan-comparison.501/page-10#post-117289

The Civic's strengths will continue to be long term reliability, fuel economy, and long term resale value. Driving dynamics are on par or a slight notch below the Mazda 3, depending on who you ask. Definitely worth test driving both.
Are the newer mazda's not up to par with honda's reliability? I know the older ones had rust issues but I thought reliability was pretty similar long term.

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
I'm looking specifically at civic sport and ex vs the touring and touring 2.5 on the mazda3 hatch. Example, the mazda touring gives you push button start, dual zone climate control, heated front seats and six speakers, the civic hatch gives you none of those (4 speakers on the sport). I guess the trade off is the lack of a turbo and a much less powerful engine. Just thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts or had recently taken a look at the two (granted the new mazda3 '17s are just now rolling in).
If you compare the EX, it also has dual zone climate, push button start (also remote start), has 8 speakers, Android Auto/Apple. The 2.5 Touring is more expensive than the EX as well, but not by much.

Also, the MPG is quite a bit better in the EX: 31/40 (CVT), vs 26/35 in the Mazda.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Are the newer mazda's not up to par with honda's reliability? I know the older ones had rust issues but I thought reliability was pretty similar long term.
Little things after 100K. More major as they pass 150K. On the 04-09s, it was things like the AC compressor, oil cooler, window regulators, and interior integrity. Things that weren't too expensive, but certainly started to add up quick.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
If you're comparing Civic hatch to the Mazda hatch you'll find more leg and headroom in the Honda. MPG and room tipped me to the Honda even though the Mazda is very nice...and Mazda is always enthusiast focused. They took a lot of guff over the previous styling DNA and sort of corrected a bit on the bland side in comparison to the Honda. Then again, Mazda doesn't have the less attractive fake vents on front and back either.

Mazda has better interior materials, Honda still uses the cheesy hard plastic in some places. Hard to beat the value/features Honda has put into the new Civic's.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
While the Mazda has a little more organic handling, more road feel, the Civic's engine just puts the Mazda's to shame, in torque and gas mileage, and that was the difference for me. Also the Civic is roomier in the back, bigger trunk and looks better.

But if the Civic hatch hadn't come along I'd probably have gotten the Mazda 3.
Sponsored