First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I have an 08 mazda3 with 140k Miles served me well but I’d like better fuel economy and Bluetooth.
I was going to say Mazda3 but since you have it why not try something different.

As much as I love my CivicX I don't see myself buying it again, okay maybe in 20 years. LOL
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey all,

I’m currently torn between a 2018 mazda3 touring and the civic hatchback lx. The mazda3 has a nicer interior, blindspot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, smart braking, and a bigger infotainment screen.

Meanwhile the Honda has better mpg, bigger trunk, reliability, newer look. I’m looking at an lx model without sensing and I’m at 19,150 before fees. The sport is tempting to step up to, but I don’t like the idea of premium gas.

Thoughts please and thank you.

Reliability for Civic 10th generation is unknow. Look at some Consumer mags, some say poor

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was going to say Mazda3 but since you have it why not try something different.

As much as I love my CivicX I don't see myself buying it again, okay maybe in 20 years. LOL

I agree.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can afford both... drive them both, taking other numbers out of the equation. Differences in fuel economy or power between the two shouldn't make or break the decsion of which one feels right behind the wheel. Buy the one you like driving the most.

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
I test drove the Mazda3 right before I drove the Civic. I felt the Mazda steering feel was a bit better/heavier and the suspension seemed a bit more firm. So in that sense it felt a bit more 'true' -- but the Sport handled slightly better, and even though the steering was a bit lighter in comparison, I loved how sensitive and responsive it was, and the chassis is excellent for both daily and spirited driving. I believe lock-to-lock it was a bit shorter (maybe 2.25 turns?) and the variable steering was noticeable (more sensitive at lower speeds). Mazda without a doubt is more elegant and subtle, both inside and outside... but I sat in the back seats.. and it was just way too small. I'm around average size, 5'10 170lbs, and I felt cramped in there.

However, Mazda is coming out with a compression ignition engine for 2019... they are predicting combined MPG around 40 and a 15% torque increase on the 2.5L. If they can crank out 180-185 torque and keep mileage anywhere close to that AND if they can carry over some of the KAI concept car design to the new 3? Yeah I may have to swap regardless of how much space is in the back :)

Last edited:

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I test drove the Mazda3 right before I drove the Civic. I felt the Mazda steering feel was a bit better/heavier and the suspension seemed a bit more firm. So in that sense it felt a bit more 'true' -- but the Sport handled slightly better, and even though the steering was a bit lighter in comparison, I loved how sensitive and responsive it was, and the chassis is excellent for both daily and spirited driving. I believe lock-to-lock it was a bit shorter (maybe 2.25 turns?) and the variable steering was noticeable (more sensitive at lower speeds). Mazda without a doubt is more elegant and subtle, both inside and outside... but I sat in the back seats.. and it was just way too small. I'm around average size, 5'10 170lbs, and I felt cramped in there.

However, Mazda is coming out with a compression ignition engine for 2019... they are predicting combined MPG around 40 and a 15% torque increase on the 2.5L. If they can crank out 180-185 torque and keep mileage anywhere close to that AND if they can carry over some of the KAI concept car design to the new 3? Yeah I may have to swap regardless of how much space is in the back :)
The next Mazda3 sounds very promising. Too bad the timing doesn't sync up because I needed a vehicle in 2017, and I'd like to keep my vehicle for at least 5 years!

With that said, Mazda is gradually going upmarket, and knowing how they package their products, I'm hesitant to say that the new 3 would be a "value" (i.e. affordable) car compared to the likes of Civic, Corolla, or Elantra. Actually, the timing might work because by 2021+, all the first year model bugs would have been worked out in the new Mazda3 :p

As for today's Mazda3, yes it is a bit on the small side. Combined with the small windows (abysmal visibility), the car feels even smaller. From my test drive experience, the stylish looks didn't quite match the actual driving feel - loud and stiff (but precise).

From a tech perspective, Mazda offers a rear cross alert system, which Honda skimped out on the Civic.

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Yep, I'm really excited about it. Rear cross alert and two other upgrades would have been really appreciated - blind spot monitoring and heated steering wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kokobeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for all your input guys I agree I liked the handling on the civic a little more. It just seems like safety things like blindspot are going to be standard and the norm, rather not feel like I’m missing out.

Totally agree about the new engine mazda is working on, id definitely consider it.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
My biggest suggestion is negotiate harder and look around more. I got my civic hatch ex for 21.5k, and it was the first 2018 on the lot.

OP
OP

Kokobeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My biggest suggestion is negotiate harder and look around more. I got my civic hatch ex for 21.5k, and it was the first 2018 on the lot.
So about 2.5K off MSRP nice! I've gotten them down to about 2.5K off MSRP as well, I don't know if I can go lower.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So about 2.5K off MSRP nice! I've gotten them down to about 2.5K off MSRP as well, I don't know if I can go lower.
Wait but the lx is listed at 20k on honda's website. I was thinking you had only 1k off. But either way man you'll love it!

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
I think the way the turbo makes power is much better overall than a NA engine. To me, the 1.5T in our Civic and CRV feel more like a V6 in power delivery than a 4 cylinder. Makes for a much more relaxed quiet drive than a 4 cylinder with stepped gear reving up. That can be more fun, but 90% of the time I like smooth. For daily commuting, I think it's much better. CVT has you in just the right gear very quickly all the time and not a lot of revving is needed to get the power you need with the bottom end torque.

That being said, Mazda makes the best NA 4 cylinder out there. Honda probably has the best turbo engine under 2 liters out there.

Personally, I'd take the better functional space, mileage and ride quality. Honda will have better resale value so a small price difference won't matter.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I would just take the civic 1.5t for better overall performance and aftermarket support. If you are willing to spend extra on the Si, I think that’s were the performance sweet spot is.

I think the Mazda 3 is a good car, but I also find it kinda overrated with the fanfare from the auto magazines. I wish the company was less conservative when it came to delivering performance. I’ve never been a fan of their engines.

If the new or next model comes with torsion beam rear suspension, that would not be something I’d be excited about and probably points to the company’s priorities shifting to cost cutting rather than driver engagement.
Sponsored