Civic hatch vs mazda3

Kokobeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey all,

I’m currently torn between a 2018 mazda3 touring and the civic hatchback lx. The mazda3 has a nicer interior, blindspot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, smart braking, and a bigger infotainment screen.

Meanwhile the Honda has better mpg, bigger trunk, reliability, newer look. I’m looking at an lx model without sensing and I’m at 19,150 before fees. The sport is tempting to step up to, but I don’t like the idea of premium gas.

Thoughts please and thank you.
Sponsored

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
Hey all,

I’m currently torn between a 2018 mazda3 touring and the civic hatchback lx. The mazda3 has a nicer interior, blindspot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, smart braking, and a bigger infotainment screen.

Meanwhile the Honda has better mpg, bigger trunk, reliability, newer look. I’m looking at an lx model without sensing and I’m at 19,150 before fees. The sport is tempting to step up to, but I don’t like the idea of premium gas.

Buy what you can afford.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I like the style of the Mazda3 a lot. My buddy has one that, last I heard, he was pleased with (other than getting into a wreck) but it's a '16, I think. I drove it and while it's decent to drive I like the Si a lot more. I can't compare an LX though... From some personal history of Mazdas and Hondas I always defer to Honda reliability. I think at this point either are decent and would be acceptable. Without seeing the interior of the '18s I know I really dislike the infotainment screen placement on the other 3s I've seen, I don't like the way it looks shoved into the dashboard, but that's my own gripe and it's not only with Mazda, BMW and Audi appear to do it as well.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Yup, premium is only recommended. Why are you comparing two different trims? One seems loaded, the other bare bones.

OP
OP

Kokobeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was able to haggle the mazda down to 20k before fees. So only a grand more for leather, heated seats, push start. Honestly I don’t care too much for those features. I’m okay with a simple infortainment system. The no volume button swipe thing annoyed me in the ex, and I’m not a fan of the wheels.

I did a search on the gas for the sport hatch and it seems split on premium being recommended vs mandatory.

Thanks for all the input I appreciate it.

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I drove my Mazda3 over 200,000 miles and she still starts right up without hesitation. I know this is only annecdotal evidence, but take it as you will. I love my Si, but I would have bought a Mazdaspeed3 hatch in a second, if only it existed. I applaud smaller companies like Mazda, BMW and others that try to build more "driver's cars".

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Mid-trim Mazda3 in the US seems to be better than the one in Canada. Touring edition has the 2.5L engine, does it not? If it's a 2.0L, forget it.

The Civic LX is a bit spartan, so I'd be more inclined to go with the Mazda3; provided that you can live with the cramped interior, harsher NVH, and slightly lower fuel economy.

Last edited:

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I drove a 2009 Mazda 6 for eight years and put 225,000 miles on it. It was trouble free for the whole time. I can only hope that my Si will be as trouble free as my Mazda was.

OP
OP

Kokobeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah I have an 08 mazda3 with 140k Miles served me well but I’d like better fuel economy and Bluetooth.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
What I gather from the reviews on YouTube is that the Mazda is better in terms of the way it drives where as the civic is overall a better package. Also, am I the only one that uses steering wheel controls to control the volume. When I had my 8th gen civic I hated not having the steering wheel controls so I added them. Once I installed them, the volume knob was never used again

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,

Kid you not we literally did a blog comparing the two like 3 months ago. Check it out and let me know if it helps.
https://www.27won.com/blog/faceoff-2017-honda-civic-hatchback-sport-vs-2018-mazda-3-touring

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I was able to haggle the mazda down to 20k before fees. So only a grand more for leather, heated seats, push start. Honestly I don’t care too much for those features. I’m okay with a simple infortainment system. The no volume button swipe thing annoyed me in the ex, and I’m not a fan of the wheels.

I did a search on the gas for the sport hatch and it seems split on premium being recommended vs mandatory.

Thanks for all the input I appreciate it.
I see. That's a tough call. It's like choosing between 1 and 1a. Well, the Civic has more get up and go and rear seat legroom. The Mazda probably has a livelier chassis with easier to approach limits, based on the reviews I've read.

Thinking of getting a manual? Have you test driven them both already? What does your gut tell you?
Sponsored