OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
American Bass SQ 3.5 with 85db sensitivity and a foam baffle has given me good results. The JL solution is a popular choice on the forum. I've seen others using Crutchfield's sound ordinance brand. Most anything will probably be better than the stock center speaker

As 86Salmon know, I fitted the American Bass SQ 3.5 with 85db sensitivity and a foam baffle, which gave me a nice equalization of speaker volumes, and a better, more "mellow" sounding center speaker,

Before the swap, it seemed that the dominant sound was coming from the center speaker, now it is difficult to tell, it just seems now to be "MORE STEREO", and comes from all around you in a nicely balanced way.
Sponsored

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
i wonder why nobody as programmed a decent EQ app yet for the stock headunit.
honda hack has no EQ app added, afaik?

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
i wonder why nobody as programmed a decent EQ app yet for the stock headunit.
honda hack has no EQ app added, afaik?
Many of the Music Players you can install with Honda Hack have their own built in Equalizers

(ie Poweramp, Blackplayer, etc)

Then are a masses of pretty lame "stand alone" Equalizer Apps, that may be better than nothing, but most I have tried are not that good (Compaired with the ones built into the Player apps)

The best Stand alone Equalizers (That will work on anything being played) are going to be installed at ROOT level, which is something that can be done once you have Honda Hacked.

What you may be able to achieve with an equalizer, is correcting (to some extend), Honda's DSP programming that tries to make the best of their inferior oem speakers.

Currently, in my opinion, the #1 biggest improvement you can make with the 10/12 speaker system, is to replace the Shrill Center speaker with a more mellow and less sensitive speaker, so that the front side speakers can be turned up more, to compensate, and thus provide a much more balanced, Stereo sound with significantly more Bass.

The other neat thing about the Center speaker upgrade is that it is both inexpensive, and can be installed in about 5-10 minutes !!

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
I've been using Viper4Android after Hondahacking the HU and I have to say that on the 8-speaker system it can have great effects in creating a more smooth listening experience. I can turn up the volume pretty high with my final configuration, without getting a headache from the twisted way that Honda decided to form the sound via the DSP :)

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been using Viper4Android after Hondahacking the HU and I have to say that on the 8-speaker system it can have great effects in creating a more smooth listening experience. I can turn up the volume pretty high with my final configuration, without getting a headache from the twisted way that Honda decided to form the sound via the DSP :)
iam using viper4android on my smartphone (rooted) and it really does help alot.
can you tell me which exact version you are using (url) for the honda HU?
i was actually worried, that i could mess up my HU with it, since viper4android flashes a seperate driver.

does it work with any source? like bluetooth, music via android auto?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
iam using viper4android on my smartphone (rooted) and it really does help alot.
can you tell me which exact version you are using (url) for the honda HU?
i was actually worried, that i could mess up my HU with it, since viper4android flashes a seperate driver.

does it work with any source? like bluetooth, music via android auto?
Not sure about the version, although I think it downloaded an update to the latest. It does install it's own driver (you will need busybox and SuperSU for that) and you can select it as the default sound configuration in place of the default bass/mid/treble junk in the HU settings. It applies to all interfaces (USB, Bluetooth, AA) and I have locked it to the headphone settings as they are by far the richest available. I used a sound analyzer on my mobile to tune the EQ to my liking and I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference, even with everything else stock. (I am no longer using DSP-flat after doing some heavy EQ, although it is a 1-click on the rooted Hu)
No issues after about a month of using this.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, these are the steps. You will need to grant root access to busybox and V4A through SuperSU for each step to succeed.
Then you should use the HU menu to set the V4A as the default sound processor (instead of the system one) - it's in the Android menu
also I found it helpful to lock the V4A in headphone mode when using Spotify through Android Auto, as it has the most settings available to play with. Currently I use the equalizer plus the clarity effect and it sounds great.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Quick question from an audio noon. Is "dsp flat" supposed to be used in conjunction with viper or is it one or the other? I understand "dsp flat" to remove any processing the head unit is doing...just not sure how to necessarily use it. It seems like viper is working but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference. I think I can tell a slight difference but I'm just not sure all the settings used to get good clean audio.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You may not be able to use DSP Flat .. Civics with the "Premium Audio" system, do not seem to be able to be controlled by DSP-Flat .. the program cannot change the system to flat, probably because the Honda menus system cannot do it either.

For those of us with the "Premium :rofl: Audio" , it is good to hear that Viper can equalize enough to make it sound good, without dsp-flat.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well DSP-Flat or not, you still need to EQ a LOT to get good clean sound. I don't have the Premium sound, just the 8 speaker 180W and I needed equal amounts of EQ'ing (although in different ranges) so my latest config with default DSP is around +4db 32-125Hz , 0 to +2db 250Hz to 1KHz , -3db 2KHz and +2 to +4db 4KHz to 16KHz. This provides very clean sound for a stock system and I can run it at vol20 producing 80-85db depending on the song but not getting a headache after an hour of listening … I may post a photo of my exact settings, for which I used a pink noise generator for initial config and then -/+ 1db to best fit my liking. Hope this helps out

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Not sure about the version, although I think it downloaded an update to the latest. It does install it's own driver (you will need busybox and SuperSU for that) and you can select it as the default sound configuration in place of the default bass/mid/treble junk in the HU settings. It applies to all interfaces (USB, Bluetooth, AA) and I have locked it to the headphone settings as they are by far the richest available. I used a sound analyzer on my mobile to tune the EQ to my liking and I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference, even with everything else stock. (I am no longer using DSP-flat after doing some heavy EQ, although it is a 1-click on the rooted Hu)
No issues after about a month of using this.
Where exactly is the setting to set viper as default sound configuration? I can't seem to find it.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
just want to report back:
viper4android works perfectly and helps alot to "eliminate" the bass-cut-off. it sounds MUCH fuller now.
you can boost the frequencies from 31-60hz quite easily.
also theres an additional setting (called 'bass boost'), where you can set a certain frequency and boost that one.

i dont use DSPflat or i didnt even try. i dont see any need for that.
tested that on the "premium" system. (i havent tweaked the rest of the frequencies yet)

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
just want to report back:
viper4android works perfectly and helps alot to "eliminate" the bass-cut-off. it sounds MUCH fuller now.
you can boost the frequencies from 31-60hz quite easily.
also theres an additional setting (called 'bass boost'), where you can set a certain frequency and boost that one.

i dont use DSPflat or i didnt even try. i dont see any need for that.
tested that on the "premium" system. (i havent tweaked the rest of the frequencies yet)
Exactly my experience, although my standard system does not include a sub. Still the humble components are able to produce bass with dignity after V4A :)

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
If I were to install V4A on my rooted phone and connect via USB, I'd be able to get the same results, correct?
Sponsored