2017 & 2018 Owners, what would make you switch to a 2019 Type R?

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I'm just curious, what would make current 2017 and 2018 Civic Type R owners trade up to a 2019 type R?
What features in the 2019 model would make you consider trading in your current ride?
Would more horsepower, an individual driving mode, heated seats, new styling, a sun roof, drivers assistance package (blind spot monitoring, radar cruise control, emergency brake assist), new exterior colors, different size wheels, leather seats, rear wing delete option.
Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Maybe if they doubled fuel economy and made the front seats black and tuned it on regular without a performance hit and I didn't take too much of a depreciation hit.

More horsepower - it doesn't really feel like this car would still be balanced with 50+ more HP and 10 or 20 hp isn't enough for me to make a switch
Individual driving mode - IDGAF
Heated seats - the seats are already too hot, I'd prefer ventilated seats
New Styling - I like the current styling. A new front fascia isn't going to make me get a new one
Sun roof - excess weight and bulk. Go buy a SI
Drivers assistance package - Don't need. The speed limit recognition is kind of neat, but from test drives it doesn't work well or reliably
New colors - snooze. CW is already offered. You can keep your vomit gray Type R.
Different size wheels - I'll buy a used pair off a buyer who switches immediately to Volks or Wedssports or whatever else
Leather seats - Interesting, but not enough to switch
Rear wing delete - No. I really don't get this. "Small" wings that basically do nothing make the car look terrible like a SI - that car looks awful from the rear, doesn't matter if it's coupe or sedan. The R wing is quite tasteful considering it actually generates real downforce and I think it makes the rear of the car come together. It's not exactly a slapped on wing like a Plymouth Superbird.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing, unless my car ceased to work or got totaled. I could not ask for anything else in this car. I have everything I need - great engine, transmission, good infotainment, Bluetooth, awesome styling, comfortable seats...

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Maybe AWD? Not needed but that's probably about it considering the financial hit.

On second thought, LaneWatch, 360 camera view, power folding mirrors, Honda Sensing, ventilated and heated seats, power hatch, power sunroof ...... Collectively, those features could make me upgrade, particularly since the resale value on the 2017/2018s is incredibly good.

Honda is likely not going to offer any of those features, however. Why mess with the unanimous critical acclaim as the best hot hatch, you know? Just make it look a little better (or at least, different) and that's it.

THE! CrazyKiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
Country flag
The '19's will make the 17's and 18's appreciate in value...

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't think of anything. If it's something like a volume knob or lane watch, those could potentially be retro'd into an earlier one. Upping the power is too easy via a tune and a couple inexpensive parts so that wouldn't interest me. Don't want a stripped down model or a model with a bunch of luxo features - Type R isn't a luxury brand, it's a focused, performance brand. Even my little quibbles with the car I have just melt away when I pull out of the garage.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
The only thing I'll trade this CTR for is a C8 Corvette but I never buy the first year run of any new car so it'll be a couple of years before I make the switch. Hell at that point, the CTR will be paid off so I'll probably just keep it and use it as a daily and keep the C8 as my weekend play car.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Nothing. Love my 2018 and don't care about any of the possible changes for 2019 that have been discussed.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
nothing really, I absolutely love this car. IF they were to announce AWD I may be interested...only if it works very well with the car but even then I'll most likely stick to my 2018.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On AWD - I'm not sure why they would have went to the expense and time to create such a formidable FWD platform if they were just going to turn around and put an AWD version out. I could see them doing an Acura model with SH-AWD with those luxo features and the 2.0T but I wouldn't see it as an R per se, more an S. Of course it's just speculation, just seems Honda is absolutely proud of what they've accomplished with FWD, and turning it into AWD would seem almost like a cop out to me?

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Nothing, got what I want in my '17, don't need to chase new features that can't really do much for the car.

The only thing that would really tempt me might be cooling updates, but, as long as the chassis stays relatively the same, I should be able to retrofit those to my '17.

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
A volume knob. Oh and maybe climate controls that dont force you to use the touch screen to turn off/on the AC. I know im nit picking haha
Sponsored