2017 & 2018 Owners, what would make you switch to a 2019 Type R?

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
A volume knob. Oh and maybe climate controls that dont force you to use the touch screen to turn off/on the AC. I know im nit picking haha
lol I'm with you there, it is kinda annoying. Still not enough to trade up though
Sponsored

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
volume knob/mode customisation

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
Honda Sensing. No reason for North America not to have these features that are available in other markets.

Heated/cooled seats would be nice.

OP
OP
Maverick1

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I'm sure if Honda came out with a version with 350hp+ and awd, many would choose to upgrade.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm sure if Honda came out with a version with 350hp+ and awd, many would choose to upgrade.
Depends on the type of AWD. Fuel economy will really suffer, complexity will suffer, weight penalty, etc. I passed over a STi and WRX partly because of the additional wear on tires, additional tire rotations and having to replace all tires when one gets damaged.

I kind of hope they go AWD - that would make my FWD masterpiece more unique, slowing depreciation or perhaps even reversing it.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
The only thing I'll trade this CTR for is a C8 Corvette but I never buy the first year run of any new car so it'll be a couple of years before I make the switch. Hell at that point, the CTR will be paid off so I'll probably just keep it and use it as a daily and keep the C8 as my weekend play car.
Interesting. I have a deposit at my Corvette dealer for a C8 mid-engine. Pratt and Miller has already built the race version, and the camo'd street version has been spotted all over the place. Might be later in 2019, but it's worth waiting for.

As for trading up to a 2019 CTR, I really can't think of anything that would compel me to. As some mentioned, I supposed if it had 350hp or so, AND still maintained it's excellent handling characteristics, that might be tempting!

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
Interesting. I have a deposit at my Corvette dealer for a C8 mid-engine. Pratt and Miller has already built the race version, and the camo'd street version has been spotted all over the place. Might be later in 2019, but it's worth waiting for.
Awesome, man! I'm NinjamanZ51 on the Corvette forum btw. Seems like we have a lot in common haha!

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Depends on the type of AWD. Fuel economy will really suffer, complexity will suffer, weight penalty, etc. I passed over a STi and WRX partly because of the additional wear on tires, additional tire rotations and having to replace all tires when one gets damaged.

I kind of hope they go AWD - that would make my FWD masterpiece more unique, slowing depreciation or perhaps even reversing it.
Come on dude. You need to rotate (since when did rotating tires become a big deal?) the tires on a FWD car just as much as AWD and as a person that's owned a lot of AWD cars it's never cost much if anything more than a 2WD car to operate. 2WD cars wear out tires faster IMO because you have significantly less wheel spin in an an AWD car. I get that AWD adds weight and complexity but some of those are fake negatives you listed.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Come on dude. You need to rotate (since when did rotating tires become a big deal?) the tires on a FWD car just as much as AWD and as a person that's owned a lot of AWD cars it's never cost much if anything more than a 2WD car to operate. 2WD cars wear out tires faster IMO because you have significantly less wheel spin in an an AWD car. I get that AWD adds weight and complexity but some of those are fake negatives you listed.
Nope. You're supposed to rotate every 5k miles with a AWD to keep tire wear even across all 4 tires. Who the fuck rotates every 5k miles on a FWD? On my old Accord, I rotated my tires exactly once before I bought a new set at 50k. If you're not chirping your tires on every launch, it doesn't matter. Now you're claiming FWD wears out tires faster than AWD based on your gut feeling because you've owned a lot of AWD cars? What a joke dude. I'll be rotating more on my Type R because I'm using super soft rubber, but with all-seasons, I would not expect to rotate often.

I know performance car owners love to downplay additional cost and time spent at maintenance facilities, but don't tell me they're "fake negatives." They're very real negatives. Next you'll be telling me that Premium fuel is "not much more expensive" than Regular. It's about 30% more expensive where I am right now. I'm willing to pay for it for the Type R because compared to something like a STi or WRX it sips fuel, but I'm also not blind to the extra cost.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought it was pretty well-understood that AWD eats tires like no other platform, assuming one isn't drifting or something like that. I've owned 6 or 7 AWD cars (EVO IX, TL, several DSMs) and outside of being able to race in gravel or snow, or potentially to use the throttle to save your booty after a really dumb decision, AWD simply adds weight, cost, and some pretty substantial repair risks. In my TL, which I would assume an AWD Civic would look a lot like, if you're on 10k tires, pop one and replace it, you could damage the center diff since all 4 tires aren't perfectly symmetrical, for example

Would it eat the current FWD for lunch from a dig? Sure. But past that, in a street car, AWD isn't all it's cracked up to be. Up to the CTR, my old EVO IX MR was the craziest and most fun ride I've owned. For various reasons and not just speed/performance alone, the CTR is in a very different, and much preferred league, even with FWD. Turn in and handling, to me, are better on the CTR than the IX. In fact I couldn't believe how much understeer the IX had in some conditions, especially in snow.

What I'd like to know is how anyone thinks the CTR will get more power, considering the cooling issues, and AWD considering some of the transmission issues. It just seems like wishful thinking.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Don't confuse the drivetrain with the implementation. As a counter-example, the original (road) Audi Quattros were more efficient at highway speeds than their FWD equivalent models. Road&Track tested the claim and found the break-even point was 50mph IIRC. However, Audi soon realized that only off-roaders and rally drivers knew what to do with manual locking differentials and went with easier-to-use but less fuel-efficient alternatives, as has every automaker since. That being said, I do not think there will be an AWD Type R, even though the chassis is designed to accommodate an AWD drivetrain. An ILX or RDX, though ...

As for more power, it was said (but not for attribution) at the press launches that the K20C1/FK8 were tested for emissions, reliability, and production, etc., at 340 hp. The car was deliberately detuned for the FK8's initial launch to leave headroom for future years. The only question is if Honda feels the need for 2019 ... or maybe they're waiting until the RS Trophy's Nurburgring time is announced.

OP
OP
Maverick1

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Don't confuse the drivetrain with the implementation. As a counter-example, the original (road) Audi Quattros were more efficient at highway speeds than their FWD equivalent models. Road&Track tested the claim and found the break-even point was 50mph IIRC. However, Audi soon realized that only off-roaders and rally drivers knew what to do with manual locking differentials and went with easier-to-use but less fuel-efficient alternatives, as has every automaker since. That being said, I do not think there will be an AWD Type R, even though the chassis is designed to accommodate an AWD drivetrain. An ILX or RDX, though ...

As for more power, it was said (but not for attribution) at the press launches that the K20C1/FK8 were tested for emissions, reliability, and production, etc., at 340 hp. The car was deliberately detuned for the FK8's initial launch to leave headroom for future years. The only question is if Honda feels the need for 2019 ... or maybe they're waiting until the RS Trophy's Nurburgring time is announced.
No guarantee that the RS Trophy will set a new record.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
The only thing I'll trade this CTR for is a C8 Corvette but I never buy the first year run of any new car so it'll be a couple of years before I make the switch. Hell at that point, the CTR will be paid off so I'll probably just keep it and use it as a daily and keep the C8 as my weekend play car.
Surely you'll wait for a ZR1 version?

evolutionX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EVO X CTR 15925
Country flag
something they can add to make type r a bit better
1.electronic rear door
2.a 19inches rim with better tire for street
3.a new exhaust muffler that can make some "noise"
4.Super all wheel control(this I don't think Honda with make it)
Only if Honda going to put AWD in type R I may want to trade in.
Sponsored