cwilliams97

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2016 Civic Touring used with about 16K miles. Everything has been great except for the usual couple rattles and such. My only main issue really bugging me is that my smart key access system is always really slow to respond to my input unless i stand by the door handle for a good 5 or 6 seconds before trying. For instance if I walk up to the car and immediately touch the door handle it takes 2 or 3 seconds of my hand sitting behind the handle before the car unlocks. The car came with the original 2 key fobs, so anyone think it's just a battery needed for the fob? Or is this an issue some other people are encountering too? Thank you guys!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Change the battery in the FOB and report back. My guess is that's all it is.

OP
OP

cwilliams97

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Just got around to changing the battery tonight, so i'll let you guys know tomorrow when i head out. And yes sorry forgot to say the spare key has the same problem. I replaced just my main key's battery to test out.

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine were slow until I replaced the batteries. All good now.

OP
OP

cwilliams97

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry for the late response here, but I decided to wait a couple days to get an idea on the key's behavior. I did replace the battery in one of the keys (my main key) but i still am having the same issue where sometimes the doors unlock pretty much instantly but the majority of the time it's still standing with my hand holding the handle for a good 2 or 3 seconds before the unlock happens. Just random details just in case but the key always sits in my left pocket on a key ring with a few plastic membership cards and such and i always use my left hand to grab the door handle so the key is near the door.

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
Ok, now get your cars battery checked. The things you describe may be an indication of a weak battery

OP
OP

cwilliams97

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, well, well.....the culprit did turn out to be the battery. Took the car to Autozone and the tech said the battery was so bad that the tool couldn't even test it. Off to check if the battery will be covered under warranty, so thanks guys!
Sponsored