Won't shift into 5th when off

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Is it normal to not be able to shift into 5th when the car is parked and off?
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Is it normal to not be able to shift into 5th when the car is parked and off?
Shift into another gate and then try to go back into 5th. What happens then?
I believe this is called "gear binding" and it's very common in my Evo when the car is completely off.
Never tried it on the Si, but from what the Evo guys told me, caused me not to sweat about it.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure you're actually aiming for 5th. Reverse isn't locked out when the car's off, so it could be that you're just too far to the right. My sample size isn't too big, but I've never been in a Civic that didn't let you shift into anything you want while the car's off.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Make sure you're actually aiming for 5th. Reverse isn't locked out when the car's off, so it could be that you're just too far to the right. My sample size isn't too big, but I've never been in a Civic that didn't let you shift into anything you want while the car's off.
Cooper is exactly right. My stepson did the same thing when he was going through the gears for me. I was watching the cables to make sure I didn't mess anything up while installing the acuity bushings. He stated the same thing from inside the cabin. the gear ratio is fairly close so it feels like you are going into 2nd when you are really going into 5th.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, do you have any issues going into 5th, when you actually have a need to? I am wondering the reason for going into 5th with the car off and not moving.

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't have this issue, I can shift into all gears when the car is off. Is it only 5th gear?

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
I'd try seating the smaller bushing completely in the ring. If nothing else was touched beforehand and you were able to shift into 5th and 6th before, it has to be something with the install of the bushings. I have the Acuity Shifter Cable Bushings as well and don't have an issue getting into 5th or 6th.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
As mentioned above this is a normal feeling when the car is turned off. It appears that you aren't able to go into 5th when you are actually going into 5th when you think you are in third. Go through the gears slowly and you will find that the ratio is rather close and with the reverse lockout not engaged the gate feels differently. Try doing it with the car on.

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I just try it and it was fine, do it again and this time in your 5gear lock push it down to reverse that may be it

OP
OP

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I noticed this issue after replacing with all the acuity parts as well. But like others said, it turned out that I actually could get into 5th/6th it was just that the separation between gears is very close. I thought I was in third but actually was in fifth.

JonnyFlash

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I can't shift into 5th or 6th ever when I'm stopped. Should I be worried? The car only has 3000 km on it with no modifications and ever since I bought it I've never been able to go into 5th or 6th when stopped. I've been afraid to push too hard for fear of breaking something and I'm pretty sure I know where the 5/6 gate is at this point since I have no problems upshifting or downshifting into these gears on the highway. Could it be that it's not fully broken in yet? I've never run into this issue with other manual cars I've driven.
Sponsored