Whistling from the left when turning left?

Sypha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX
Country flag
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Civic EX with just over 30000 miles and recently I noticed that when turning left, at a speed of at least 20 mph (such as in a roundabout), there's a faint whistling/grinding coming from the left side of the car. It's a "rotating" kind of noise that makes me think it's coming from the wheels. It's only audible with the window rolled down. Since it's relatively quiet it's not something that concerns me that much, but it's not pleasant.

I took the car to my trusted mechanic for some other basic maintenance items including a wheel rotation, so asked him to check it out and he didn't find anything strange. The brakes are good. Any guesses as to what it could be?
Sponsored

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
First thought is that it’s the wheel bearing, however the noise you describe usually occurs on the outside wheel during a turn when it’s a bad bearing.

OP
OP

Sypha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX
Country flag
First thought is that it’s the wheel bearing, however the noise you describe usually occurs on the outside wheel during a turn when it’s a bad bearing.
It's strange to me that my mechanic didn't notice a bad bearing though. The wheel bearing is still technically under warranty and I'm wondering if I should bring it to the dealer... I'm not a fan of the dealer :/

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Most likely it's the stainless steel brake hardware that holds the pads touching the rotor. It's apparently a very common issue. I've had an intermittent squeal for over a year now. Mine is contacting the inboard side of the left front rotor.

OP
OP

Sypha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX
Country flag
Most likely it's the stainless steel brake hardware that holds the pads touching the rotor. It's apparently a very common issue. I've had an intermittent squeal for over a year now. Mine is contacting the inboard side of the left front rotor.
Ah ok, I'll just live with it for now and I'll check it out next tire rotation.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited: