MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys whats up, after EXTENSIVE research on what turbo's I want I tried to find threads about the PRL turbo kit being installed but honestly there weren't much that , did you big turbo guys install it yourself? If not how much did you pay to get installed (if its personal i'd appreciate a DM!)

I was opting for a W1 but i've seen many owners blowing these up / ending up with cracks and fins being blown apart but my suspicions are due to heavy boost... if I went this route could I potentially save the turbo by limiting boost to 26 psi? Or should I just wait for a W2 bb? In that price range I could spend the extra money for a PRL big turbo kit and get the addition of that heavenly spool. Thoughts? opinions?

(FBO/E30-40, aftermarket clutch)
Sponsored

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally I decided to go with the rv6 turbo and steered away from the w1 mainly bc of the failure rate. I couldn’t justify spending 2,500-3k on a prl turbo kit knowing I have a stock block & that money could go towards the built motor. My homie installed his 2860 himself told me he really didn’t struggle that much just took him like 7 hours to do haha. Not too sure how much a shop would charge

OP
OP
MaoFC3

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Personally I decided to go with the rv6 turbo and steered away from the w1 mainly bc of the failure rate. I couldn’t justify spending 2,500-3k on a prl turbo kit knowing I have a stock block & that money could go towards the built motor. My homie installed his 2860 himself told me he really didn’t struggle that much just took him like 7 hours to do haha. Not too sure how much a shop would charge
I was looking at that rv6 thread and had mixed emotions about it and havent heard any bad things(aside from beta testing, to be expected) about it which is promising. Understandable! but if the W2 bb is about 400-600 cheaper than the least expensive PRL turbo option than for me if im paying 2k for a turbo im paying 2500 no sweat LOL especially knowing PRLs kit is reliable

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
do it once.. do it right. gtx2860r gen2! i've had it installed since 26k miles and i'm sitting at 37k now. not a single issue. you put up more up front but you are getting a Garrett turbo so you know it's reliable. you won't be able to run any base tunes so you'll need to get a custom tune but that can be said for any turbo upgrade.

Honda Civic 10th gen Which turbo? Turbo installation! rsz_1rsz_oytniehe

OP
OP
MaoFC3

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
do it once.. do it right. gtx2860r gen2! i've had it installed since 26k miles and i'm sitting at 37k now. not a single issue. you put up more up front but you are getting a Garrett turbo so you know it's reliable. you won't be able to run any base tunes so you'll need to get a custom tune but that can be said for any turbo upgrade.

rsz_1rsz_oytniehe.jpg
Yes I have personally seen your car before just havent heard you gun it lol. How was your install? Im in DFW area and don't know anywhere I could even take it

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I have personally seen your car before just havent heard you gun it lol. How was your install? Im in DFW area and don't know anywhere I could even take it
I don't gun it often but when I do... LOL! I'm old and not a racecar driver I just like the sounds of the spool. R.D. Garage in Garland did the install along with the ACT street clutch and sway bars in 2 days. Painless process and fair pricing.
Sponsored