Alvi_l96

First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here if I recall correctly. I drive a 2018 Civic SI with an RV6 catted downpipe, mishimoto intake, and I'm currently running a TSP stage 1 tune. As of late I've been getting a strange turbo whine. The turbo seems to be spooling as fast as it did before, but now there is an audible 'whine' that changes pitch with the turbo spool. Nonetheless, I can already assume that these are telltale signs of an approaching turbo failure. So, Looking at all of my options, I'm planning on upgrading to a W1 turbo from 27won and getting it e-tuned by Derek Robinson. Two very well respected names in the 10th Gen community. Now, with all that hooplah out of the way, my question stands. Is upgrading to a bigger turbo safer on the engine (ie. rods/pistons/crank etc.) than having a smaller turbo? I did a bit of research and found that the TSP stage 1 tune and a properly tuned W1 setup produce similar torque numbers (around 280-300wtq), however the torque for the W1 setup is shifted higher in the rpm range. Allegedly this torque at higher RPM's is safer for the engine, which leads to the hypothesis that a bigger turbo is safer for an engine than a smaller turbo at similar torque levels. Can someone with some more experience confirm and explain this? I tried searching the internet but haven't had much luck in way of a thorough explanation.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here if I recall correctly.

Is upgrading to a bigger turbo safer on the engine (ie. rods/pistons/crank etc.) than having a smaller turbo?

I did a bit of research and found that the TSP stage 1 tune and a properly tuned W1 setup produce similar torque numbers (around 280-300wtq), however the torque for the W1 setup is shifted higher in the rpm range. explain this?
Just to address the two bolded parts...

You may be a lurker but you actually already had 10 posts here according to your profile. :cool:

On the second point, although I'm no expert on the W1 by any means, I believe you are exactly right. By skewing the torque and power later in the curve, stress down low is reduced versus the stock turbo (tuned). But you also have to be aware that it may also change the car's driving feel a bit. If you're someone who likes to race from stoplight to stoplight, the car may feel a bit slower off the line. On the other hand, I'm sure the mid and top are quite improved.

Here's a good thread on this:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/27won-w1-turbo-upgrade.38241/

Last edited:

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
Remember, if you increase the torque from factory level, the stress is increased too, always, even if you move the torque right. But in this way the stress is reduced compared if you just had the same level of torque but at lower rpm.

OP
OP
Alvi_l96

Alvi_l96

First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just to address the two bolded parts...

You may be a lurker but you actually already had 10 posts here according to your profile. :cool:

On the second point, although I'm no expert on the W1 by any means, I believe you are exactly right. By skewing the torque and power later in the curve, stress down low is reduced versus the stock turbo (tuned). But you also have to be aware that it may also change the car's driving feel a bit. If you're someone who likes to race from stoplight to stoplight, the car may feel a bit slower off the line. On the other hand, I'm sure the mid and top are quite improved.

Here's a good thread on this:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/27won-w1-turbo-upgrade.38241/
Hahaha I guess I really meant ‘First time starting a thread.’

I feel as though I’m willing to trade off some low end torque if it means saving my rods and increasing longevity of the engine.

OP
OP
Alvi_l96

Alvi_l96

First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
@D-RobIMW Maybe you can shine a little light on this? Is the W1 setup really safer than a Tuned stock turbo? Thanks?

lastbluesun

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5L Hatchback LX
Country flag
I actually just received my W1 and I'm having it put in with my RV6 catted downpipe as well! Except I'm gunna see the legend himself in person for a Dyno tune. I'm VERY interested to hear about this.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@D-RobIMW Maybe you can shine a little light on this? Is the W1 setup really safer than a Tuned stock turbo? Thanks?
That's a completely different question. Have you checked out my tuning reliability survey?

There haven't been many documented cases of bent rods with the stock turbo from folks on base tunes who aren't abusing their ride. Or who aren't upping the power beyond a margin of safety.

I think most people are getting the W1 ultimately for more power. But for the average tuned owner the base turbo will do just fine on a base tune and not cause issues.

There are a variety of ways to reduce power down low for safety sake from boost by gear to simply limiting torque at lower rpm.

By the way, you guys should post up surveys to help our community.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/the-tuned-civicx-experience-reliability-survey.42361/
Sponsored

Last edited: