PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
My '18 Si needs new tires (and brake pads up front). I'm debating on getting another set of DSW 06+ or going winter/summer route. I'm also considering new wheels (probably Konig Oversteers for the weight savings). I'm also due for inspection this month.

So I'm thinking of putting Goodyear WinterCommand Ultras on my OEM wheels in a 225/40R18 instead of 235 (Tire Rack seems to think that works - anyone disagree?). But then do I still put the Continentals on the new wheels, or should I get something else. I live in Western New York and the car is my daily, so I deal with all kinds of weather, and it can be all four seasons in one day.

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I would suggest a winter/summer set-up then if you get a good amount of snow. The DWS06 are ok at best in snow, still one of the best all seasons in my opinion for all kinds of weather, but they will not do great on frozen roads. less than 0.5" of snow will be fine, packed snow, ice or more than 1" of snow is atrocious as are any all season tires. A good set of snow tires will make you ask why you never did it before(had multiple people tell me the same thing).

225s should work fine on your wheels, you'll just be a bit slower(maybe 1 mph@70) than your speedo, which is never a bad thing.

I'd suggest conti all season for summer unless you plan to track the car on those tires as you'll be able to use them longer before switching to winters and are warantied for 50k miles, saving the winter tires in the process. I've done about 40k miles on my conti DWS06 and it's been an amazing tire. Gonna try the Michelin AS4s next just for comparison's sake.

I'm using Toyo observe GSI6 on my Civic and they handle well everywhere, not amazing on ice, not amazing on snow but they keep me on the road and last a good time(4 years or about 40k miles on my last set). There are better tires for every condition than this one, but they either won't be as good in other conditions or last as long(looking at you blizzaks).