What is the "intrinsic value" of Honda Civic Type R Touring?

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
So, what do you think the "intrinsic value" of CTR is? In other words, if you weren't told of the brand, but were allowed to drive it and look at the specs, what would you guess to be a fair price for a CTR in relation to the competition and their respective prices?

For example, you might look at VW Golf R Base Manual ($36,500 MSRP). It's an AWD car with 292hp and 280ft-lb. Most companies charge about $2,000 as a stand-alone option for AWD, then VW Golf R *without* AWD would be worth around $34,500, let's just say. In the same ballpark, pricing-wise.

Obviously no two cars are the same, and each has pros and cons as compared to others.

If you feel that the intrinsic value of CTR is $40,000, then it might make a $5,000 ADM more palatable to get it early.

P.S. As for brand blindness, the "Honda" brand would presumably enhance value in terms of reliability, but it wouldn't have the cachet of a German or Japanese luxury brands. But let's make no adjustment for the brand for this purpose.
Sponsored

E-Rod

Honda Fanatic
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR (CW)
This is exactly why a couple grand ADM stopped bothering me. Rumors were the car was gonna be close to 35k, and I was still sold.

There's tons of cool features that I didn't even expect (the settings, rev match) and the price was right under 34k. It looks super aggressive in an awesome way that turns heads in cars 3x its value.

To me, I could swing that and still be quite happy. There's a certain joy in owning a rare (low prod) car and another in owning it first. Call me vain or impulsive but I like that feeling.

The car drives like a bat out of hell, it will gladly take ridiculous turns at high speeds without a single hiccup. It's a performance car through and through. But it's also a comfortable ride that your passengers won't lose their lunch in.

It's worth 35-40k easy in my opinion.

TypeRish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Rsx Type S & 2015 Tlx
To me before pricing i thought it would be priced around the Sti, EvoX so i was expecting to pay 40k

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, what do you think the "intrinsic value" of CTR is? In other words, if you weren't told of the brand, but were allowed to drive it and look at the specs, what would you guess to be a fair price for a CTR in relation to the competition and their respective prices?

For example, you might look at VW Golf R Base Manual ($36,500 MSRP). It's an AWD car with 292hp and 280ft-lb. Most companies charge about $2,000 as a stand-alone option for AWD, then VW Golf R *without* AWD would be worth around $34,500, let's just say. In the same ballpark, pricing-wise.

Obviously no two cars are the same, and each has pros and cons as compared to others.
I have to point out that the VW is no longer available with a manual and it's price went up. Just something to consider.

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I have to point out that the VW is no longer available with a manual and it's price went up. Just something to consider.
For 2017, manual transmission is available but the base MSRP went up to near $40k, presumably because they are now including as standard an adjustable suspension (DCC), Honda Sensing-like features, and a Nav.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
For 2017, manual transmission is available but the base MSRP went up to near $40k, presumably because they are now including as standard an adjustable suspension (DCC), Honda Sensing-like features, and a Nav.
they sticker at 40k, local dealer has them for 36k

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Yeah there's no more entry level car as they are almost loaded now as well full LED lighting on the rear taillights and headlights is standard (digital cockpit and massive 9.2" infotainment screen is available as an option).

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
To me before pricing i thought it would be priced around the Sti, EvoX so i was expecting to pay 40k
This is what I was thinking as well before the MSRP leak. I was ready to buy an STI Limited, so when I saw the $35k price tag, I was quite pleased.
Sponsored