First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
There are two factors that contribute to the rev hang:
-Computer controlled throttle closure (ECM Rev hang)
-Inertia from the spinning flywheel. (Physics!)

I've disabled the computer controlled rev hang with my KTuner, which substantially improved the experience, but did not eliminate the rev hang. Within the next couple of weeks, I'll be installing my RV6 flywheel and fk8 clutch kit, which should eliminate the rest of the excessive rev hang.

For the sake of science, I'm going to re-enable the rev hang once I change the clutch and flywheel, just to see how much impact the flywheel has. This will give me four different experiences to compare.

1. Rev hang enabled, dual mass flywheel: Absolute shite. Hang time makes waiting for the engine to come back down a conscious effort on upshifts. Downshifts are ok for rev matching.
  2. Rev hang disabled, dual mass flywheel: Acceptable, but still not great for lower RPM shifts. Good hang for blipping the throttle for a down shift.
  3. Rev hang disabled, single mass flywheel: TBD
  4. Rev hang enabled, single mass flyweel: TBD
So disable rev hang in ktuner doesn’t fully remove it?
Sponsored

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
So disable rev hang in ktuner doesn’t fully remove it?
Nope. Can't change physics with a tune. Both Eman and SDAlexander8 are correct. If you want to truly eliminate the "hang", you have to do both a flywheel and the tune.

Since the tune is your best bang-for-buck modification anyway, I would start there. If you're on a stock Si clutch, you'll be looking to upgrade after the tune anyway once it starts slipping. lol.

OP
OP
ValkenDnB

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Nope. Can't change physics with a tune. Both Eman and SDAlexander8 are correct. If you want to truly eliminate the "hang", you have to do both a flywheel and the tune.

Since the tune is your best bang-for-buck modification anyway, I would start there. If you're on a stock Si clutch, you'll be looking to upgrade after the tune anyway once it starts slipping. lol.
Still waiting for it to slip. I was on phearable 1.5R for a while and it still won’t slip. I’m trying to get emans retrofit type r clutch.
Physics thing makes sense. Drove an S2K with a stage 4 clutch + light flywheel and it felt like an on/off switch with how fast you had to shift to catch the next gear because the revs would drop so damn fast.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Still waiting for it to slip. I was on phearable 1.5R for a while and it still won’t slip. I’m trying to get emans retrofit type r clutch.
Physics thing makes sense. Drove an S2K with a stage 4 clutch + light flywheel and it felt like an on/off switch with how fast you had to shift to catch the next gear because the revs would drop so damn fast.
Is it at all possible that your clutch has already been upgraded? RV6 just released their Type-R retrofit as well and for a much better price than what Eman can do. (No offense to eman, of course...it's the nature of economies of scale). I've yet to install mine, but those that have are reporting good results.

OP
OP
ValkenDnB

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Is it at all possible that your clutch has already been upgraded? RV6 just released their Type-R retrofit as well and for a much better price than what Eman can do. (No offense to eman, of course...it's the nature of economies of scale). I've yet to install mine, but those that have are reporting good results.
No it’s not upgraded. Some peoples clutches just last longer and hold more power than other and some go out earlier than others even on the stock tune. I know a few people who were on a stage 2 flex fuel tune and their church held up.

OP
OP
ValkenDnB

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
if you shift near redline its not as bad
I’ve noticed that’s the case for every gear except 1st. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is where rev hang is the most prominent. Going to a 27won 70A rear motor mount helped clean that slop at the very least.
Sponsored