Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So the other day, going to work on a foggy, dark morning at 5AM, a deer decided running across a highway off ramp was a good idea. Luckily my brakes and reaction time were good enough that beside the scare, no harm was done.

Fast forward to just now. I decided since traffic was fairly light it might be a good time to put the car into the Phearable 1 5R's Map 3. I was just cruising along at about 75 on the highway when all hell broke loose. A white work pickup was just ahead by maybe 5-6 car lengths. And then. It. Happened.

Two six foot long sheets of either aluminum or vinyl siding must have caught a wind gust and went flying off the back of the truck and were flying right towards a collision with my car. I went into evasive "slalom" mode to try to avoid them. The tricky part was the flying siding was zig zagging every which way but loose through the air.

I was swerving and braking and gunning the throttle in an effort to miss them. And I don't know how I did it but I missed the flying missiles. On the other hand I don't know if anyone behind me had the same luck. I was too busy (and too shook up) trying to protect my freshly detailed Cosmic Blue and never looked back.

I honestly think the better response and power of the tune helped save my ass.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And I don't know how I did it but I missed the flying missles.
Don't you have a dashcam? You could analyze the video clips from it... and also share it with us if you want.

I'm glad you avoided those sidings, sounds like a nightmare, seeing those things flying towards you while driving on the highway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No dashcam here.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
Had a deer run out in front of me today on my way to work around 7AM. SMH thankfully I was able to avoid it but it got close. Next time I'm going through the city to get to work ha.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Seriously though I am happy you are okay. I've had my fair share of crazy encounters....

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad things turned out alright for you, being an attentive driver can make all the difference in those unpredictable moments.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s the Universe telling you to up the ante mr gtman. Type R time
He passed the test. He is ready. 🧘 😄

That’s why you’re called “GT”, man! Nice skills!

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's always those damn pickup trucks. I was driving on the highway once and a pickup truck was in front of the car in front of me. Luckily I had some distance, because that truck ejected it's spare tire and it was bouncing all over the highway! I was able to avoid it but that thing was wreaking havoc lol

And just last month I was stuck behind a pickup truck on the highway and some metal junk fell out of the bed. It was unavoidable and I had to run over it... Luckily, no damage to my wheels/tires, but I was FK'n pissed.

I have about 10 more stories of stupid FK'n pickup truck drivers, but I'll leave it at that lol

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Damn pickup trucks. Years ago, a pickup lost a big log from the cut up tree it was hauling. There I was, minding my own business on the highway in my beloved red CRX when the log comes rolling towards me. I tried to avoid it but it got my car's right side and I was literally on two wheels for a short time. Needless to say my car was never the same.

And of course that guy continued on his merry way as I was fighting to control my car. Asshole!!

One more. My wife and I were driving from Maryland to Illinois. She was driving this particular leg of the trip in West Virginia. We're laughing and having a fun scenic drive when this pickup ahead hits a pothole and loses a big metal tool box. All of the sudden the box and wrenches and screwdrivers and god knows what else is bouncing everywhere. My wife Tammy did amazing and nothing hit the car.

Last edited:

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Clarity Touring and 2021 Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
I was driving through Atlanta on I-75 South when I spotted an extension ladder that had fallen off a vehicle and completed obstructed my entire lane of travel! Luckily traffic was fairly light and I was able to change lanes safely but couldn’t help but think about the vehicle that was going to hit that damn ladder and what damage was possible! Scary!

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
Not securing your load is a huge fine here in New York. In Western New York where I live, the cops will still pull you over if it doesn't look right; about 25 years ago a steel coil rolled off of a flat bed a killed 4 people. The images of that are pretty horrifying. Article here.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What infuriates me is that all these truck drivers in my incidents just kept going. Could they really be that clueless that they didn't see what was happening?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Glad you're OK!
Deer = Rats with hooves.
Growing up I lived in an area where deer were so numerous at night/early am as you drove down the road there would be one every 50 feet either eating roadside grass or pointed across the road at the other side. Needless to say deer impacts were a regular thing. I drove a beater so I'd just change the fender and be glad to be alive.
I hate those things. No one hunts anymore in the countryside and their population was out of control.
Sponsored