VSA related limp mode?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Not sure if this was related to the Hondata +6psi tune (and prl short ram), but earlier today I let my brother take my 18 SI out and told him to get on it a little bit and problems ensued...

Car was in sport mode (+6 psi) and it was a bit wet out. He hit redline in first and second, broke the wheels loose a bit, and was a bit sloppy on the gear shifts and all of a sudden the lights on the dash went crazy. Error message about the VSA or something and the car wouldn’t let you put it in sport mode or turn on brake hold or anything. Lots of beeping as well.

I tried disconnecting battery but nothing. Eventually I flashed back to stock, and when car turned on the dash said on something like “VSA initializing” so I drove it down the block and by end of the street the error message was gone and I was able to put it in sport mode. Drove fine after that so then I flashed back to +6psi and all has been fine since.

Anyone know why this happened? He suspects it’s because the VSA system doesn’t know how to interact with the tune under extreme scenarios but that doesn’t make sense to me since lots of hondata customers track their cars.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Based on your description - possibly a money shift IE overrev condition. For reference I have a bone stock 2017 SI sedan running Hondata sport mode +9 with scramble, fuel overrun reduced to 30,20,10,10,10 and P0299 disabled.

Some recommendations:
Tell him to shift at 6000 rpm and not at the 6600 rpm limit as horsepower drops off after 6000 rpm.
Learn the VSA pedal dance, turn on parking brake, toggle VSA off/on, turn off parking brake, push brake pedal down, toggle VSA off/on, release brake pedal, turn on parking brake, push brake pedal down, toggle VSA off/on - at this point you will see a blinking light on the dash telling you VSA is off.
Use the flashpro to check for codes, and consider datalogging more often so that you can capture why something like this would occur.
Check your Long and Short term fuel trim numbers to see if they are higher than expected.

Read. Learn. Do. Enjoy - in that order whenever possible

Good Luck

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on your description - possibly a money shift IE overrev condition. For reference I have a bone stock 2017 SI sedan running Hondata sport mode +9 with scramble, fuel overrun reduced to 30,20,10,10,10 and P0299 disabled.

Some recommendations:
Tell him to shift at 6000 rpm and not at the 6600 rpm limit as horsepower drops off after 6000 rpm.
Learn the VSA pedal dance, turn on parking brake, toggle VSA off/on, turn off parking brake, push brake pedal down, toggle VSA off/on, release brake pedal, turn on parking brake, push brake pedal down, toggle VSA off/on - at this point you will see a blinking light on the dash telling you VSA is off.
Use the flashpro to check for codes, and consider datalogging more often so that you can capture why something like this would occur.
Check your Long and Short term fuel trim numbers to see if they are higher than expected.

Read. Learn. Do. Enjoy - in that order whenever possible

Good Luck
I was going to say make sure that you have P0299 disabled. It is made pretty clear that you need to disable if you are running with "scramble" enabled, but it will also throw a code if you are running the rev hang delete unless you disable P0299 detection. I had that happen to me. When it throws a code it shoots all kinds of warnings on the screen. I can't even remember what all was on there, but VSA might have shown up too. Unless you pulled the code then I'm not sure you can be certain it was VSA related.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I was going to say make sure that you have P0299 disabled. It is made pretty clear that you need to disable if you are running with "scramble" enabled, but it will also throw a code if you are running the rev hang delete unless you disable P0299 detection. I had that happen to me. When it throws a code it shoots all kinds of warnings on the screen. I can't even remember what all was on there, but VSA might have shown up too. Unless you pulled the code then I'm not sure you can be certain it was VSA related.
Thanks for this tip. What exacly does the disable P0299 detection feature do? I'd like to understand before doing so. Thanks!

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
The p0299 is automatically disabled with rev hang delete with the new june update from what I can understand as there is no specific disable in the mods list.....

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
V3.0.8 (1 June 2018)

• FlashPro firmware updated to version 137
• [2016+ Turbo Civic] Rev hang mod changes to disable P0299 automatically
• Modifications window changed to show installed modifications.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
V3.0.8 (1 June 2018)

• FlashPro firmware updated to version 137
• [2016+ Turbo Civic] Rev hang mod changes to disable P0299 automatically
• Modifications window changed to show installed modifications.
Thanks. Downloaded and reflashed this morning. I previously made the mistake of not having "Improved throttle response" turned on the Mod section - so for anyone updating with new version, make sure to do that (otherwise you'll feel like there is much less torque in lower RPMs).

Now i'm curious to see what the +9PSI feels like...
Sponsored