VMR Wheels V801 18" Review

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Specs: VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow 18x9.5 PCD5x120 ET45 CB64.1 Conical Seat with Gorilla & McGard Black M14x1.5 Wheel Locks on Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 275/35R18

Comments: As with many of you, I was on the hunt for new wheels on my CTR since the price tag to replace a busted wheel or two if you were to ram a pothole on those wafer-thin stock Conti tires would be soul-crushing. Even regularly replacing the $$$$$ Conti tires every 10k miles (or less) was a cause for pause with me. Yeah yeah, there are cheaper options at 245/30R20, but let's be honest, there are not many tire options in that size. Anyway, I was checking out all the options from TireRack, Rays, etc., but none of it was doing it for me because they were either ugly, expensive, or an unfavorable combo of a few or all aspects such as diameter, wheel width, and/or offset. At one point or another during my search, I remembered VMR was pretty big into the Euro scene since my last ride was an Audi, so I decided to give them a look. They had just released their V801, which is part of their flow formed line, around May/June, and I had a "brand new, gotta have it" moment when I saw the pictures online, hahaha. I mean...I jumped on first wave for the CTR so why not follow that trend? So, I decided to hit up VMR directly, and suffice to sounding like one of those generic positive comments (hah!), they were a pleasure to deal with from Day 1. But trust, my rep was very accommodating and worked with me on all aspects of the wheel...probably have over a dozen e-mails going back-and-forth with the VMR rep. We hammered out aspects such as custom center bore so no need for hubcentric rings, and lug seats since they can bore out whatever you want but I decided to go with conical seats since there are a ton of lug nut options. Other than that, I was actually divided between their two new colors: Mercury Black Metallic and Titanium Black Shadow. There was a subtle difference between the two from their online pics but Titanium Black Shadow looked deeper and darker to me so I went with it. After I got the color out of the way, now it was time to decide on the offset. I knew I wanted 18x9.5 so I was torn on ET45 vs ET35. I played around with online offset calculators A LOT and read a ton on wheel commentary from CivicX and CTR Facebook groups. At the end, I decided to go with the less aggressive offset since I wanted to go pretty wide with my tires...maybe eventually trying 285s one of these days. Along with that, VMR will also order the tires you want then mount and balance them, so I just went through them instead of going through the whole TireRack + tire shop charade. Oh, and they also allow local pickup at their Anaheim office so I did that since I was in the process of moving back to CA and it would save a few dollars going that route. I picked them up a few days ago, and I must say, I'm impressed. At the risk of sounding cliche (LOL!), pictures do not do these wheels justice. I was taken aback how impressive these wheels looked for their price point. There's this complexity about them that, in my opinion, works well with the complicated looks of the CTR, haha. Just like the CTR, it's so polarizing to look at when they're mounted on the car. The color has this darkness and depth that works so well with the aggressive design without it being overly aggressive. Yeah it doesn't have the crazy concavity as some of the CTR wheel options out there, but the V801 concavity is good enough for me. Also, I'm happy with the way these 18s look on the CTR, and happy to report no rubbing issues in the rear. It's not flush but with the tires, it comes very close to being flush. Oh, I went with 275s since my last car, the Audi, was riding on 275/35R18 and just loved every minute of it. Anyway, this ended up being a long write up so thanks for reading if you made it this far!

TL;DR: Everything is awesome :thumbsup:

Pictures:

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review 4An7FZiXKSrt_FD2sHpYsKWXfNpKlvJxbO1si85EWzRDcp7SJK5G9B8DCgwGgguEkKeLuOveMPFcC6NyA=w2358-h1768-no

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review HlvXXWn5HUm6LX-u-VTNxDaWxmG2cSfktugUkDtooDhLvA9MI49oJFVcOUdYc8Fk40uawAcOAF6MAyznw=w2358-h1768-no

Front:

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review 5OU9McnRdbA_JWWj6951q8CcdYdhQkJFxKwbSPWYFwWldhv0N9Yy4sXewZoQp9-VnSafuBTlb6jV8W9LA=w2358-h1768-no

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review d_3-JiVi4GUjlNqSis0Oege3w08XKW5SFEWyUl7w86puRSc3cqR9a-fc_Y3mdNrqOTK8HuUAixsPy4wUA=w2358-h1768-no

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review 54V_HBX1P3vtd9L1TykHL3hit8Ny0SEsvSV5peSz9eph9oWhF3-7R42XdBG8E0KnQU4j0cf3vIvDQ9oew=w2358-h1768-no

Rear:

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review Md-WGlXhmCBRupGQWPxPguiTqMsKmaHNtBy9yZxMoknsxqDA7iH-g8SMOZ6C3SdgUbMMk1tWxHwUihwEw=w2358-h1768-no

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review npOktHSnYqVWi8aI_iF78Ti39nQwPyZjeACJxWkFKyyibAQyDcvYo9wxPbSudsRsiqEz-fiPKKVsm8tCA=w2358-h1768-no

Honda Civic 10th gen VMR Wheels V801 18" Review 5sx4Jhzc69_Wnk1CZ-z3Vl9lOJce3nU66cOtmbAne5aNkbB9kz30ymnE-CDavcHPXGOpIdFrP3Lkgt8qA=w2358-h1768-no

Last edited:
OP
OP
youCTR

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Just saw that my image links took a huge crap...I swear I have a love-hate relationship with Google Photos.
What is the wheel weight?
TBH, I have no flippin' idea, LOL. I installed them today and it was so hot and humid in the IE that I just wanted to get them on and be done with it so didn't really think to put them on a scale. But just like the butt dyno, the VMRs felt easier to lift than the stockers. VMR states that weights are coming soon so we'll see, but if their other flow formed 18s are anything to go by, then they should be under 20 lbs.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Just saw that my image links took a huge crap...I swear I have a love-hate relationship with Google Photos.

TBH, I have no flippin' idea, LOL. I installed them today and it was so hot and humid in the IE that I just wanted to get them on and be done with it so didn't really think to put them on a scale. But just like the butt dyno, the VMRs felt easier to lift than the stockers. VMR states that weights are coming soon so we'll see, but if their other flow formed 18s are anything to go by, then they should be under 20 lbs.
Where are you located in the IE?

revin9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
Now that they're on, do you think +35 and 275 tires fit with no rubbing if the car was 1" lower?

OP
OP
youCTR

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry...no pictures yet. Been a pretty hectic weekend.
Now that they're on, do you think +35 and 275 tires fit with no rubbing if the car was 1" lower?
I'm pretty doubtful but not 100% sure. You may be able to pull it off with ET40 but even I'd be a little bit worried on my ET45.

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Here are those pics...it was taken near sunset today:
Thanks a million for taking the time to snap a few and post them, much appreciated!

Gotta be one of my favorites so far that's been posted with different wheels. Some may hate since they aren't Volks etc but who cares as it's your money and they look great all while being functional too so it's a win win.

Now that you've put a few more miles on the setup. Still no problems with rubbing on the 275's?

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
Your car looks great! I feel like that's the wheel/tire size the car should have come with from the factory.

The design of the wheels looks like some of the newer Porsche wheels to me.

OP
OP
youCTR

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Your car looks great! I feel like that's the wheel/tire size the car should have come with from the factory.

The design of the wheels looks like some of the newer Porsche wheels to me.
Thank you! VMR caters more towards the Euro modding community so that's maybe why the wheels look Porsche-esque.

FK_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR 187
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went to VMR today for fitment, and i will second everything @youCTR just said... about the excellent customer service & yes, those 801s do look So Much Better in person. I decided to do a different look though & will do my own review when the wheels come (powdercoat frozen bronze eta 4wks). I wanted to get my tires from them but they dont offer the road hazard warranty, they were cool about it though. If you're local & don't wanna spend $3K on wheels alone, they're a very viable option, shoot them an email or set a fitment appointment.
Can't wait for mine to come in :love:

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I was worried about 18's looking to small on our cars and was set on getting 19's. But your setup looks good with those wheels.
Sponsored