Visiting dealerships on memorial day to buy a 10th gen Si

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
The dealers near me haven’t budged off their pricing on new Si’s (this was mid March, just before we started getting serious on covid) but I’d start trying to go new first. Especially with incentives a lot of dealers and manufacturers are offering now. Granted I did end up going used as I found a 17 with just under 19k miles for $18k and was offered far more for my trade than anyone else was willing to give me. Start new then look used, that ended up being the road I took and I’m happy where I ended up.
Sponsored

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Offer to finance with them during the negotiation. Dealerships get paid a reserve fee from the bank to finance, especially on used vehicles. Typically the loan has to stay in place for a minimum of 180 days before being paid out in full or else the bank will charge back the dealership the reserve they paid them. Tell the dealership you won't pay out the loan until 180 days has passed so their reserve wont get charged back against them. They'll probably make between $500-$1,000 in finance reserve and quality bonuses (based on your credit rating/total debt ratio/risk assessment of giving you a loan), and the interest you'll pay over those 180 days will be extremely minimal. That can help you negotiate the selling price down. Also, I would tell them that you would also consider extended warranty after you're close to a deal. I always offer to buy the extended warranty for $200 over cost, and usually they bite because the Business/Finance manager wants another sticker on the board and they know their service department will benefit from warranty claims (most people go to less expensive shops for service after their manufacturer warranty expires). The extra warranty is always worth it in my opinion if you get the right deal. Using that approach, I think you'll be able to negotiate the deal you want. ***Oh, and one more thing... wait until the last 4 or 5 days of the month to start your negotiation and build it up until the last day of the month. 99% of Sales Managers are only worried about volume in the last few days of the month and often give up gross profit in that pursuit.

Good luck @danfg2 ! Let us know how it goes!

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Nice. It would be cool to have the Si here too. For THAT price. But what toxic weight addons? There aren’t too many options that are physically “heavy”.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I would let Honda buy down the rate and put the cash equivalent to the loan amount into an investment... you only have to beat .9%!

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
My favorite extra in my car is the sunroof. Without that my car would be like a dark cave. Everything is black or dark grey. Tinted windows too. I tried a hatch with and without it and then we decided we need one with sunroof.
In Europe you can’t even buy a civic with the N/A engine. Only with turbo 1.0 and 1.5L. I don’t know how the things will be in the US, but here only Mazda sells simple N/A engine cars (with mild hybrid system), noone else. I think the situation will be the same in the US too in a few years.

xinvisionx

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Dont go by Kelly Blue Book. The owners of the company have a business selling thousands and thousands of used cars. The prices in the book reflect the amount of certain cars they have. You would get better use of it as toilet paper.
Banks use KBB and NADA depending on location for loan to value purposes. California as in this scenario uses KBB.

And $22K is right for this vehicle, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be negotiated down. I’d be curious what the dealer paid for the car. Invoice.

I traded in a 17’ Hatchback Sport with 30K miles for $14.5K. They listed it at $20K. The funny part, I got my 20’ Hatchback Sport for $19.6K. I had to play hardball with them and said I’d just take my old car back if they couldn’t work out what I wanted.

I also purchased the extended warranty, but waited for the loan to fund and cancelled it for a full refund. I know they were calculating that as profit when working out the sale price of the car.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my area, central Pennsylvania, there are very few Si's to be had. This weekend, or even the next several, is not a good time to buy.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Man I just went to check out the Si today...that stupid red eBay looking fake Mugen shift knob isn't even on correctly..it's broken off in 2 pieces and the piece that screws in is stripped. I was like really dude are u guys going to fix this or what...and they're just like yea our technicians are out for the weekend and we will fix it after. I'm like well I want to buy the car tomorrow. So annoying...

xinvisionx

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Always read the contract. And per mine, I had up to 60 days to cancel the extended warranty for a full refund.
Sponsored