luckytom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2018 Civic EX-T 6 Speed
Country flag
I just picked up a viofo a129 myself and was wondering what everyone setting / configuration is for pArk mode ?
I'm currently using the Low Bitrate Recording mode. What did you end up going with?
Sponsored

ES EF ED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L , 2011 CTS-V
Country flag
I'm currently using the Low Bitrate Recording mode. What did you end up going with?
I just followed / went with the 'suggested a129 menu settings' on this link .https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

I'm still unsure if it's the correct setting for my needs . But went with for now since I'm still trying to figure out this dash cam .

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
If you're using the new 3 wire hardware kit (and it sounds like you are :)), you need to plug the power cable into the USB port on the actual dash cam. You cannot use parking mode if you have the power cable plugged into the GPS module. It has to be plugged into the camera. According to the forums, it's was an oversight or something. :dunno:
False. I have this exact setup and have it plugged into the GPS module and the parking mode works fine.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I just picked up a viofo a129 myself and was wondering what everyone setting / configuration is for pArk mode ?
Low bitrate recording. Mainly because I’m using a modified firmware to allowed for a higher bitrate and it doesn’t allow other parking modes. I also noticed sometimes the parking mode sensitivities are funky and didn’t perform as it should. I prefer low bitrate recording so it can catch everything and I don’t have to worry if the parking mode bugged out or something.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yes I do have the 3 wire kit for parking mode. I used to use the 12.0 voltage and it was working fine for me. Sometimes I would leave it plugged in overnight sometimes I wouldn't. What I noticed is that over the course, I would wake up to a dead car battery, around 2 times in the 3 month span that I had it. So I recently switched to 12.4 or whatever the highest voltage is and I have yet to see a dead car battery. I believe my battery is getting older, almost 4 years, so thats why I switched it.

I am using the default setting, motion detection. I originally had it connected to the GPS module, but I read after my dead car battery, that it is supposed to be plugged into the main unit. No overheating issues, I have 20% tint all around. And yes the cable is more than enough to reach from the front to the back. I have a sedan, but it will suffice for the hatch. I routed it all through the headliner and through the crevices around our door trims. I will take a pic later today and post when I have time.
Where did you read that it needs to be plugged into the main unit? I’ve had mine plugged into the GPS module and have had 0 problems

luckytom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2018 Civic EX-T 6 Speed
Country flag
False. I have this exact setup and have it plugged into the GPS module and the parking mode works fine.
That's awesome. They must have fixed it in the newest version!

When this originally came out, the actual company (VIOFO) specifically stated not to plug it into the GPS base if you want it automatically switch between normal recording and parking mode.

In fact, their official website still has that language (Link Click Here!):
HK3 has four voltage options 11.8V, 12V, 12,2V, 12.4V. Also with the ACC detection feature, it support switch to parking mode automatically if the car engine off, and switch back to normal recording after car engine on. Please notice this auto switch between normal recording and parking mode recording only works if the cable is connected to the camera directly, not through the GPS mount.

In addition, there are still numerous old threads out there documenting the issue at their own forum, on the Dashcam Talk forum, on Blackboxmycar, and Reddit.

Last edited:

mochachiino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L w/ Sensing
Country flag
Ya I agree with @luckytom. That is the exact information that I got. From what I read, and I could be wrong, if you plug it in directly to the GPS, the GPS activity stays actively on. From my experience, I left my camera plugged in the GPS module inside my garage one night and I woke up to a dead car battery. I looked at the files and for 12 hours straight my camera was recording until my battery died. There was no sound that set it off or even lights since it was a pitch black garage. So my assumption is that the GPS was trying to locate the car and as a result generating activity on the GPS module. The next day I tried it with it plugged into the actual camera and the camera did not repeat the issue.

It could have been some weird glitch, but I just plug it in directly to my camera so that I do not have to worry about jumping my car due to a dead battery. There is also a beta firmware that I recently got from Viofo that added a recording timer in the settings. Basically it allows you to set a preset of how long the camera will continuously record until it shuts off the camera. I set it to 8 hours since I do not need captured footage of that long if I were parked on a busy street for an extended amount of time.

ES EF ED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L , 2011 CTS-V
Country flag
Having issues with the viofo I've reset it to factory settings , reformatted the sd card .

-won't power when I start the car after using the remote auto start . But will turn on when I don't use the remote auto start

-shuts off after a few minutes in park mode , was thinking the hardwire kit went bad . I do see the red light on in the hardwire kit box .