Type r Tranny issues still?

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
At any rate, I had zero issues after the gearsets we're replaced and I adjusted the pedal sooo back to type r tranny problems?
Sponsored

Dark-R

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
At any rate, I had zero issues after the gearsets we're replaced and I adjusted the pedal sooo back to type r tranny problems?
how did you get your gearsets replaced? Honda rebuilt your transmission?

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
adjusting the rod is related to clutch engagement. we don't know if this is related to a synchro, meaning that if the gears are not sync. after you shift and release the clutch. the gear wills till grinds if they are not sync.
This fix does nothing.
You can't say this fix does nothing, because you don't know the exact nature of the problem.

If the issue here is that the clutch doesn't fully disengage until very near the floor, then adjusting the clutch to provide more stroke could absolutely alleviate or eliminate the problem. The synchros can only do their job while the clutch is completely disengaged, and I do mean 100% completely disengaged. When performing a normal shift action, this happens in a time window that begins when the clutch pedal is moving towards the floor and passes the point of travel where full disengagement occurs, and it ends when the clutch pedal is on its way back up and passes the point of initial engagement. When speed shifting, this time window could be on the scale of hundredths of seconds, and could represent maybe only 10-15% of total clutch travel. If you add more clutch travel, it all gets added to the disengagement end of the clutch throw on a hydraulic clutch. So if you can get 10% more clutch travel, even 5% more, you could be increasing that time widow by easily 50-100% depending on exactly where everything is happening. So if clutch travel is the issue, the fix in the video WILL fix the problem.

If the issue is a synchro design/manufacture issue, then this fix doesn't eliminate the problem. But it could be a Band Aid to the problem. If you increase the synchro operating time window, then even synchros with an issue will have a better chance of doing their job. That doesn't fix the problem, but it could mitigate the problem, which is effectively the same thing as fixing it to the driver.

So once again, unless you know something about the nature of the issue that the rest of us don't know and you haven't shared, you have no idea if adjusting the clutch will have an effect on the issue.

Dark-R

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
You can't say this fix does nothing, because you don't know the exact nature of the problem.

If the issue here is that the clutch doesn't fully disengage until very near the floor, then adjusting the clutch to provide more stroke could absolutely alleviate or eliminate the problem. The synchros can only do their job while the clutch is completely disengaged, and I do mean 100% completely disengaged. When performing a normal shift action, this happens in a time window that begins when the clutch pedal is moving towards the floor and passes the point of travel where full disengagement occurs, and it ends when the clutch pedal is on its way back up and passes the point of initial engagement. When speed shifting, this time window could be on the scale of hundredths of seconds, and could represent maybe only 10-15% of total clutch travel. If you add more clutch travel, it all gets added to the disengagement end of the clutch throw on a hydraulic clutch. So if you can get 10% more clutch travel, even 5% more, you could be increasing that time widow by easily 50-100% depending on exactly where everything is happening. So if clutch travel is the issue, the fix in the video WILL fix the problem.

If the issue is a synchro design/manufacture issue, then this fix doesn't eliminate the problem. But it could be a Band Aid to the problem. If you increase the synchro operating time window, then even synchros with an issue will have a better chance of doing their job. That doesn't fix the problem, but it could mitigate the problem, which is effectively the same thing as fixing it to the driver.

So once again, unless you know something about the nature of the issue that the rest of us don't know and you haven't shared, you have no idea if adjusting the clutch will have an effect on the issue.
I said "if" this issue is related to synchro issue, adjusting the engagement will not fixed the problem.

You are the one who is jumping into conclusions here stating that adjusting the rod will fix the issue.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I said "if" this issue is related to synchro issue, adjusting the engagement will not fixed the problem.
Actually, you didn't say "if". Your words:

This fix does nothing

There is no conditionality in that statement. If you had stated:

IF the synchros are the problem, THEN This fix does nothing.

Then you would have said what you claimed to have said. I don't agree with your assessment, backed up by a technical explanation found in the third paragraph of my post on this subject. But I would at least agree that you stated "IF".

You are the one who is jumping into conclusions here stating that adjusting the rod will fix the issue.
1) Both of my main technical explanatory paragraphs started with the word "If". That is the very definition of a conditional statement. If you don't understand the meaning of "conditional statement", look it up.

2) I don't jump to conclusions. Unlike you, I have over 40 years of experience in the racing and automotive engineering segments. I have built, tuned, raced, and served as both mechanic and crew chief on a large variety of competition vehicles in multiple forms of racing. I have been involved with racing programs that have won National Events, National Championships, and set National Records. So when I speak of something, it is based on a large well of experience and a deep technical understanding of the subject. I don't just get on the internet and act like I know something. I actually know something.

3) I stand behind everything I stated in my post on the subject. If you have a good reason based on a sound technical understanding and explanation to dispute what I said, let's hear it. I am always open to new ideas, theories, and contradictory facts. That is how successful engineers operate, they don't emotionally hold on to preconceived ideas when presented with solid counter-evidence. It is called learning, and art form that is sadly disappearing from society, especially on the internet.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
adjusting the rod is related to clutch engagement. we don't know if this is related to a synchro, meaning that if the gears are not sync. after you shift and release the clutch. the gear wills till grinds if they are not sync.
This fix does nothing.
when we experience a grind, isnt it the dog teeth on the synchro that we hear grinding - not the gears? from what i know the gears are constantly meshing with each other.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well allow me to rephrase that before I get my ass handed to me :rofl:

The synchro is made up of several different pieces you have the hub the shift sleeve and a couple ring springs in there the grind comes from the shift sleeve hitting the blocker ring aka dog ring usually because the material on the inside of the blocker ring that's supposed to grip the synchronizer cone on the actual gear is worn beyond use and allows the blocker ring to free spin.

DONT HURT ME FLORENCE IM A NOOB :nixon:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes the gearsets we're replaced by Honda
hard difficult and how long of a fight was it with your dealership before they agreed to warranty your trans work for you R?

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not on my R this is in response to the waaaayyyyyy off topic slap fest about the 8th and 9th gen trans problems I attempted to get this back on topic but failed.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As far as the type r I can assume it will be an extreme uphill battle. Flying gato had his trans replaced and it seemed like the general time line was 6 months or so judging by the post dates of his youtube vids.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
But he still got the grinding after the replacement though, right? Then he claimed to have finally fixed it by a modded master cylinder. Yet, ive also ready read that ppl got it solved by upgrading the pitch stopper too. Hmmm.... so many speculations

As far as the type r I can assume it will be an extreme uphill battle. Flying gato had his trans replaced and it seemed like the general time line was 6 months or so judging by the post dates of his youtube vids.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
guys... think about it, if this was really an issue with the clutch not completely disengaging because an issue with the cmc rod now being extended out far enough... it would of course grind in every gear, not just 2nd.

2nd gear isnt the only gear that is dependent on the clutch completely disengaging.

its obviously an issue with the synchronizer in that particular gear.
Sponsored