HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hey all, I tried a search and I couldn't find anything.

I was doing some more research as always on the Type-R. I work at a dealership and we have a Polished Metal Metallic (Gray) 2020 Type-R coming to the dealer soon. They told me they would help me and do a little under MSRP for me (might be a blessing). I have a 2019 Civic SI that just keeps going up in value. I should break even or possibly have some equity in my car.

I was on KBB and I could not believe the reviews some of these people were putting on there!

What issues (if any) have you experienced with your Type-R ownership?

Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Issues Thread wow
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Transmission issue is only one I am aware of but I feel that a lot of people too sensitive to properly diagnose in some cases. There are a lot of people that appear to not put the clutch all the way fully engaged to shift - then blame the transmission. I found from experience or at least with my car that the transmission is very 'tight' at first and I thought I had the grind issue for 2nd, but after having the car a few thousand miles, paying attention to putting the clutch all the way in then shifting, that all became smooth and I don't experience any grinding when shifting more aggressively.

Some have solved it with a simple CMC adjustment - you can search for that one

Some have bought this replacement CMC to resolve and say good things - https://www.naperformanceftw.com/kzcmc/kzcmc-clutch-master-for-honda-civic

I guess in the end it feels like there are some with 4th gear lockout issues and things like that that have an issue - the rest - dunno I'm not so sure...

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Both of those reviews have terrible grammar and spelling. They both also complain about the price of the car. Sounds like they were already unhappy with their poor financial decision. The car does not have bad resale value, but the transmission does suck.

Last edited:

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's true, the transmission sucks. The shifter and feel is fantastic, but the grinds and lockouts are horribly widespread and some of our gears literally shatter on the track.

While the list is missing a couple things, I collected a lot of common problems and some solutions into a wiki article (which I need to expand more :D). It's actually surprising how few issues the FK8 has overall, tuned or not. Very few people have to take these things to the dealership for anything other than the transmission or fuel pump.

Some FK8s are over 75k (maybe even 100k at this point) and still running smooth. I hope the reliability carries through as we see more FK8s getting to those high miles.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At least for me, outside of the aforementioned transmission issues, I only experienced tons of rattles, vibrations, creeks, etc when I owned the car. Never anything that would prevent me from driving the car.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just rolled over 38K miles on my 2018 and I have not experienced any transmission issues. I swapped out the transmission fluid about 2K miles ago with new Honda MTF for routine maintenance. The transmission shifts way smoother now than it ever has.

The engine has a loud ticking sound? lol. It is the direct fuel injectors and high pressure fuel pump working in unison. All modern cars with direct fuel injection have a similar sound.

Of course the body style is similar to other hatchback models but, you have to be blind to not notice the major body differences of the Type R.

Overall, the car has been solid for me. I daily drive it as well, even in the winter.

For under MSRP, I would say jump on that 2020 PMM Type R if you have positive equity on your 2019 SI, and the payments are doable for you financially.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Type R
Country flag
There's a lot more to those review stories I'm sure that isn't giving the full picture. Take stuff like that with a teeny tiny grain of salt. This car isn't for everybody either...maybe it just didn't fit there personalities? Or lots of other reasons we are not hearing....and some folks are anal ocd complainers in life never satisfied or happy with anything in life. Nothing's perfect

I'm 1000 miles in on mine and the tranny on these definitely needs broken in at 1st. Mines gotten a lot better....it had lots of random 4th gear lockouts at 1st. Didn't matter how well or crappy I downshifted from 5th,or how slow or fast. And I've been driving clutches for a few decades so I'm not a newb to rowing your own gears. While going thru the break in procedure I did a lot of 4th to 5th to 4th back n forth gear changes when I was at allowable speeds for those gears. It's a lot better now,but every great once in awhile it'll still do it. I'm gonna go another thousand or two miles as is,and if it still does it I'll replace the fluid. It's not really a big deal at all to me. If it's something that keeps happening after a couple thousand more I got a warranty that "should" cover me. No big deal

The Type R is a great all arounder vehicle for me that checks a lot of boxes...FOR ME. Does it you? If so and ya have positive equity,and can afford it then go for it...especially a lil under MSRP.

Love mine btw ....I'm prob obsessed with it if I'm being honest with myself. ?

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Every vehicle ever made, no matter the price, will have some reviews saying it's terrible, and others that praise it to high heaven. Ok, maybe no one praised the Yugo, but still. You have to identify what is important to you, find sources of information that are reliable and have stood some test of time, and then filter for the things that actually matter. Looking at, say, Car & Driver reviews of a lot of expensive cars that focus almost exclusively on a handful of data points, you might think a particular car is way better than another one, only to find that when you test drive them your personal take on it is completely the opposite. And C&D is a pretty solid review source, generally. For some random internet postings by grammar-challenged ranters, the reliability rating is, um, kinda low.

tl;dr, nothing is perfect. The reliable consensus on this car is nearly uniformly positive. Not perfect, but positive, often very much so.