First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
:bow: *wipes sweat off forehead.

Well we'll find out soon enough if that's what he means. Or if I just confused the situation even more :rolleyes1:
Haha we will find out soon enough! :D
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:bow: *wipes sweat off forehead.

Well we'll find out soon enough if that's what he means. Or if I just confused the situation even more :rolleyes1:
Whatever Eman gave you on the kit is all you need to install. Other than changing transmission fluid. Nothing else is needed for purchase to install

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
So The messages were in regards to a pilot bearing that would work in our situation, which doesn’t come with the kit. The pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel, its job is to keep the input shaft from the transmission true to the flywheel, when the forces of the clutch are applied. It also assists you with centering the clutch alignment tool to align the clutch friction disc While assembling the clutch kit. The SI’s DMF does not utilize a pilot bearing. It actually uses a pilot bushing which is just a split ring that is pressed into the SI’s flywheel. The Type R uses an actual bearing. The problem is, the diameter of the SI’s input shaft is a touch larger than the one that comes in the type R transmission. There for the Type Rs pilot bearing is useless in this situation without modifying the SIs input shaft through machining, using a type R transmission, or swapping the input shaft to the one from the type r.( and that’s if the later 2 are even possible).

From what I have learned in the past, The a pilot bearing, or “bushing” in the DMFs case has an extremely important job, and should always be replaced when changing clutches.
The price of a pilot bearing, or bushing is cheap, so it makes sense to change it while your in there to prevent any premature ware to the main seal, and bearings in the transmission. When clutch forces are applied to the input shaft, if not supported at the flywheel it acts essentially like a lever putting forces on the transmissions bearings and outer seal, forces that are not engineered to be there when supported by the pilot bearing. ultimately one could grenade their transmission prematurely. I had a special insert made by my local machine shop to accept a bearing that worked in this situation They measured the clearances and sizes of both flywheel, clutch alignment tool and custom fit it for me. to me it’s just piece of mind that my transmission isn’t going to shit the bed prematurely. I personally never owned a K series Honda, but I have owned 2 integras, 2 rx7s, a pontiac firebird, and a geo storm all manual . All have had pilot bearings, and so does the type R where our SMF came from.
I look at it like this, the engineers at Honda and any other car manufacturers put the damn pilot bearing In there for a reason. So don’t you think it should be there? I’d like the transmission to last as long as possible. Ask any competent mechanic if you should put a clutch in without a pilot bearing and see what they say. And don’t ask the guy who’s selling you the clutch for more than the price of a dual clutch set up. That’s my two cents.

Last edited:

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
My competent mechanic didn't say a thing about it. Just said it was a good thing I did the upgrade because the stock clutch is garbage. Told me he did not have a single issue, concern, or challenge when installing.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So The messages were in regards to a pilot bearing that would work in our situation, which doesn’t come with the kit. The pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel, its job is to keep the input shaft from the transmission true to the flywheel, when the forces of the clutch are applied. It also assists you with centering the clutch alignment tool to align the clutch friction disc While assembling the clutch kit. The SI’s DMF does not utilize a pilot bearing. It actually uses a pilot bushing which is just a split ring that is pressed into the SI’s flywheel. The Type R uses an actual bearing. The problem is, the diameter of the SI’s input shaft is a touch larger than the one that comes in the type R transmission. There for the Type Rs pilot bearing is useless in this situation without modifying the SIs input shaft through machining, using a type R transmission, or swapping the input shaft to the one from the type r.( and that’s if the later 2 are even possible).

From what I have learned in the past, The a pilot bearing, or “bushing” in the DMFs case has an extremely important job, and should always be replaced when changing clutches.
The price of a pilot bearing, or bushing is cheap, so it makes sense to change it while your in there to prevent any premature ware to the main seal, and bearings in the transmission. When clutch forces are applied to the input shaft, if not supported at the flywheel it acts essentially like a lever putting forces on the transmissions bearings and outer seal, forces that are not engineered to be there when supported by the pilot bearing. ultimately one could grenade their transmission prematurely. I had a special insert made by my local machine shop to accept a bearing that worked in this situation They measured the clearances and sizes of both flywheel, clutch alignment tool and custom fit it for me. to me it’s just piece of mind that my transmission isn’t going to shit the bed prematurely. I personally never owned a K series Honda, but I have owned 2 integras, 2 rx7s, a pontiac firebird, and a geo storm all manual . All have had pilot bearings, and so does the type R where our SMF came from.
I look at it like this, the engineers at Honda and any other car manufacturers put the damn pilot bearing In there for a reason. So don’t you think it should be there? I’d like the transmission to last as long as possible. Ask any competent mechanic if you should put a clutch in without a pilot bearing and see what they say. And don’t ask the guy who’s selling you the clutch for more than the price of a dual clutch set up. That’s my two cents.
Lol the guy selling you a clutch made the damn retro. He’s also a well known mechanic too. Over 100 people have his clutch and not one installed the pilot bearing because it doesn’t need one. Also no it won’t grenade your tranny if you don’t have one lol.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

@k20z3allmotor any input lol

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
I’m sure the clutch and transmission will work fine without a pilot bearing, or bushing. The question is, for how long without any complications? Again, I am just looking for peace of mind and longevity. Take the information how you will. It cost me under $100 US to find an issue to a potential thousands of dollars problem. The juice was worth the squeeze in my eyes.
I also think things like this should be known up front to people buying this.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m sure the clutch and transmission will work fine without a pilot bearing, or bushing. The question is, for how long without any complications? Again, I am just looking for peace of mind and longevity. Take the information how you will. It cost me under $100 US to find an issue to a potential thousands of dollars problem. The juice was worth the squeeze in my eyes.
I also think things like this should be known up front to people buying this.
Dude you know everyone who has bought the kit never installed one lol. That's 100's of people without a single issue. Plus Eman emailed you already since I guess you had questions and they were all answered.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
My competent mechanic didn't say a thing about it. Just said it was a good thing I did the upgrade because the stock clutch is garbage. Told me he did not have a single issue, concern, or challenge when installing.
Of course he did, did he install the clutch for free? Does he warranty the clutch and transmission? No friggin way... I’m sure he was happy to take your money. And he will be happy to take your money again later when it’s time for a new clutch and trans.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Of course he did, did he install the clutch for free? Does he warranty the clutch and transmission? No friggin way... I’m sure he was happy to take your money. And he will be happy to take your money again later when it’s time for a new clutch and trans.
Your dumb man. Nothing will happen to the clutch.

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
Wow from 2006 lol come one man. These cars are different and transmission too. Stop being an idiot and just install the damn clutch already. You'll see what we are talking about when you actually look at the damn trans.
And the K series were different as well. The pilot bearing was installed directly into the crank. But at the end of the day a pilot bearing is a pilot bearing. They do the same job.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Says the

says the guy who already broke one... baaahahahahahaaa
Broke one on the stock dmf lol ok. Has nothing to do with the Type R clutch and Type R Flywheel.
Sponsored