Tuned with Mods Beginner's Guide to Dealing With a Dealership?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey all. Not sure how to go about getting the necessary updates done to my 17 SI with a tune and a PRL Cobra Race MAF intake. Since you aren't supposed to drive without a tune while using the Race MAF, what would be my best option to take the car in and have the necessary updates done by the dealer? I've heard many say flash back to stock but my concern is that I will do some damage while driving with the stock settings. Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Change to default and remove PRL get the update done from the dealer. Install PRL Race MAF & flash back the tune

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the dealer flashes your ECU with a race MAF housing on your car you are going to cause some problems.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If the dealer flashes your ECU with a race MAF housing on your car you are going to cause some problems.
Doesn't KTuner have a solution to keep the dealership's update while still tuning for the Rsce MAF?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Doesn't KTuner have a solution to keep the dealership's update while still tuning for the Rsce MAF?
As you are running with Race MAF it's not recommended to flash stock tune with that MAF. So you have to remove and revert to stock MAF and get the update from the dealer

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Revert everything back tonstock. The dealer will note any mods you have done to ensure they the best possible chance of denying you warranty work in the future. Ive had it happen to me.

I know its a pain in the ass to revert everything back to stock, but trust me itll he worth it when it comes time to have something fixed under warranty.

garf117

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si sedan; 2000 Civic si
Country flag
Do dealerships not have a way to track the number of times the ecu has been flashed? Ford fucked me with that shit.

garf117

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si sedan; 2000 Civic si
Country flag
Ford has software built into their ecu's (for the mustang at least) that counts how many times the ecu has been programmed . It reads 2 from the start (idk why I'm guessing something during the building process requires it). So if a dealer is suspicious of your car they can have the ecu sent off. At that point, if you've retuned the car, you're fucked. Their warranty specifically states that any ecu modification will void the entire powertrain portion of the warranty.

As of about 2017 (when I last owned my mustang) there was no way to reset the ecu counter. I got lucky and never had any issues. I didn't know about the counter till after I sold the thing. I've heard reports that the civic's 1.5t engines are having oil dilution issues in rare cases. I'm wondering if anyone has tuned their car, had issues, and been denied warranty work because of the tune? That last bit is all speculation so take it with a grain of salt of course.

Monnk13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Ford has software built into their ecu's (for the mustang at least) that counts how many times the ecu has been programmed . It reads 2 from the start (idk why I'm guessing something during the building process requires it). So if a dealer is suspicious of your car they can have the ecu sent off. At that point, if you've retuned the car, you're fucked. Their warranty specifically states that any ecu modification will void the entire powertrain portion of the warranty.

As of about 2017 (when I last owned my mustang) there was no way to reset the ecu counter. I got lucky and never had any issues. I didn't know about the counter till after I sold the thing. I've heard reports that the civic's 1.5t engines are having oil dilution issues in rare cases. I'm wondering if anyone has tuned their car, had issues, and been denied warranty work because of the tune? That last bit is all speculation so take it with a grain of salt of course.
That sucks. The new C8 Corvette has the ecu connected to the cloud. So they can see if the ecu has been modified and revert it to stock anytime/anywhere

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'd personally just buy a Street MAF. Flash back to stock, and swap MAFs. Not foolproof, but intakes are so common you'd need a real issue for them to blame it. Easier than fully reverting to stock intake every time.

Just my $0.02

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My buddy works for Audi he said they also can see if ecu was flashed. He also said Subaru same thing. Not sure if Honda has picked up on that yet. I hope not.

FlyByeBlueSi

FlyByeBlueSi
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My buddy works for Audi he said they also can see if ecu was flashed. He also said Subaru same thing. Not sure if Honda has picked up on that yet. I hope not.
17 Si not tuned at all, took to dealer at 53,768 miles. They said I had flashed my ECU to stock at the current milage. There's a rod straight through the front of my block. Honda auto- void my entire warranty saying"these cars are pretty much all electronic, with you tampering with the ECM your warranty is no longer valid. " Once again, I never touched the ECU, but I did catch the dealer trying to scam $350 for an engine tear down for a warranty claim on my extended warranty, so I called them and asked why I was having to pay for the tear down, they didn't know what I was talking about, so they called the dealership then told me dealership would be calling me. The next day dealership called and said that they would be using the manufacturer's warranty, like they were doing new a favor... next thing I know im getting a call saying I'll have to foot the bill for$7000, I feel like I was sabotaged for catching them red handed. Supposedly, I flashed the ECU at the current mileage. I have neither the means nor want to VOID my warranty. Everything that I have changed had been cosmetic except the exhaust.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tuned with Mods Beginner's Guide to Dealing With a Dealership? FullSizeR

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
17 Si not tuned at all, took to dealer at 53,768 miles. They said I had flashed my ECU to stock at the current milage. There's a rod straight through the front of my block. Honda auto- void my entire warranty saying"these cars are pretty much all electronic, with you tampering with the ECM your warranty is no longer valid. " Once again, I never touched the ECU, but I did catch the dealer trying to scam $350 for an engine tear down for a warranty claim on my extended warranty, so I called them and asked why I was having to pay for the tear down, they didn't know what I was talking about, so they called the dealership then told me dealership would be calling me. The next day dealership called and said that they would be using the manufacturer's warranty, like they were doing new a favor... next thing I know im getting a call saying I'll have to foot the bill for$7000, I feel like I was sabotaged for catching them red handed. Supposedly, I flashed the ECU at the current mileage. I have neither the means nor want to VOID my warranty. Everything that I have changed had been cosmetic except the exhaust.

FullSizeR.jpg
I'm honestly impressed that happened on the stock tune!
Sponsored