Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I’ve finally tracked down my trunk leak - looks like I have 2 broken clips on the spoiler assembly (71700-teg-a01ze), of course it’s the end clips.
This is the OEM spoiler. Looks like there is a gasket of sorts under it.
Anyone have experience replacing clips to share? I’m struggling to find the right clips to start, and also don’t know how to remove and reinstall the assembly. Should I also get a new gasket?
it doesn’t seem like this should be hard, but most of the videos I’m finding online are For installing big wing spoilers and don’t show the removal of the original.
Sponsored

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
With all the recent rain, I've discovered that mine is leaking too. I'll be replacing all the hardware for my spoiler and also adding some silicone sealant just to make sure it doesn't leak.

Here's a link for the removal and install and what should be all the OEM hardware. You'll need 4 of clip B, 3 of Clip A and 2 nuts... I hope, at least thats what it looks like from the diagram.

Trunk Lid Spoiler Removal and Installation

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan 1675282258748

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan 1675282299291

Last edited:
OP
OP

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
With all the recent rain, I've discovered that mine is leaking too. I'll be replacing all the hardware for my spoiler and also adding some silicone sealant just to make sure it doesn't leak.

Here's a link for the removal and install and what should be all the OEM hardware. You'll need 4 of clip B, 3 of Clip A and 2 nuts... I hope, at least thats what it looks like from the diagram.

1675282258748.png

1675282299291.png
that’s fantastic, best description I’ve found (even after talking to the guys at Honda that just shrugged). Thank you!

OP
OP

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag

1675282258748.png

1675282299291.png
Looking at the diagram, have you found a part number for the pins that go into the grommets/clips? I can’t tell what’s broken on mine, so I got the grommets but there isn’t anything in Honda’s exploded diagram indicating the pins

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
that’s fantastic, best description I’ve found (even after talking to the guys at Honda that just shrugged). Thank you!
Thats funny, because thats litterally from a guide that Honda uses lol

Looking at the diagram, have you found a part number for the pins that go into the grommets/clips? I can’t tell what’s broken on mine, so I got the grommets but there isn’t anything in Honda’s exploded diagram indicating the pins
I have not, I believe the pins are part of the spoiler and cannot be purchased separately. I'm hoping for the best and just replacing the clips and then using Silicone Sealant that is removeable to help make sure it doesn't leak.

Last edited:

OP
OP

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
Thats funny, because thats litterally from a guide that Honda uses lol

I have not, I believe the pins are part of the spoiler and cannot be purchased separately. I'm hoping for the best and just replacing the clips and then using Silicone Sealant that is removeable to help make sure it doesn't leak.
call me crazy, but when I ordered the parts from Honda and picked them up, I asked for some sort of installation guide. The guy gave me an exploded diagram (the one readily available online) and said good luck!

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah “good luck” was probably the best they can do. So far it’s a pain in the ass and I may have to order a replacement spoiler.
The Spoiler is supposed to be one piece, but it looks like it’s actually 2 pieces attached together very poorly with thin sonic welds and it looks like I broke mine. Also there is 3M tape that’s not shown anywhere in the diagrams or instructions

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan F0D5F655-2AC2-4693-833E-EC267DE8E278

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan 27ACB701-0C24-4B25-ACB2-DB7A1A027699

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan 52A826E6-EE69-4012-859D-7B557FA8BC93

Last edited:

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Oh and there’s also a clip not shown anywhere in the diagram that’s different from all of them at the center.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan C9358142-2462-4510-94F8-0E192330755E

OP
OP

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
When I got the grommets they sold me one that is unique from the other, it’s item 31 (x6) and 32 (x1) in the exploded diagram
Are you able to see the pins that go into the clips? I can’t find those anywhere, wonder if they come with the new spoiler (likely item number 4, part 71700-tab-a01zh or a01zg for your color )

I’m following along with your trials until it stops raining here and I can do it in a few days. Please share anything else you figure out

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When I got the grommets they sold me one that is unique from the other, it’s item 31 (x6) and 32 (x1) in the exploded diagram
Are you able to see the pins that go into the clips? I can’t find those anywhere, wonder if they come with the new spoiler (likely item number 4, part 71700-tab-a01zh or a01zg for your color )

I’m following along with your trials until it stops raining here and I can do it in a few days. Please share anything else you figure out
Yup, when I pulled the spoiler off the clips were still attached to the pins.

I got the wrong number of clips for Clips A 91513-TBA-A01, I only got 3 and 4 of Clips 91513-TBA-A1. At least I'll have extras of Clip B, but will need to order 3 of Clip A.

I’m probably going to stop for today. I’m ordering a new spoiler. I thought about JB Welding the 2 pieces back together; the top spoiler and the bottom with the pins, but I’d rather not mess with that any further in case anything else is broken or about to break.
Honda Civic 10th gen Trunk leak from broken spoiler assembly clips - 2016 ex-t sedan 092A7528-8B99-4858-AAD7-647929D16CDA

Last edited:

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
any update on this issue/fix from anyone? I've just noticed a puddle of water at the bottom of by boot floor and suspect this may be my issue.

I'd like to try and figure out the likely cause and easiest fix, before I go down too much of a rabbit hole!
Sponsored