Tracking for the rest of us

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Does the 2021 and other Type R's with the Log R support this feature if you film with your phone?

That's freakin awesome if so.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
Does the 2021 and other Type R's with the Log R support this feature if you film with your phone?

This is nice, isn't it? Seems like Garmin Catalyst with car data overlays.

Our logR doesn't do it out of the box. But it's doable with a few tools and LogR data. I posted one the other day in the track junkie thread.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag

I wonder if we (2020-2022 models) need an update for this to work.

Writer did not mention anything other than the phone and log R. So fingers really crossed.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt they would update our LogR app to include this feature. There's no incentive.

It's even worse: LogR requires an internet connection and honda's server to be online. Has anyone tried turning on airplane mode while using it? In a few years, Honda will turn their server off and brick the app.

Last edited:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
It's even worse: LogR requires an internet connection and honda's server to be online. Has anyone tried turning on airplane mode while using it? In a few years, Honda will turn their server off and brick the app.
I know it needs GPS, but why internet? Most of the tracks I run, or all of them?, I have cellular data, I never thought to turn it off.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it needs GPS, but why internet? Most of the tracks I run, or all of them?, I have cellular data, I never thought to turn it off.
It "authenticates" with Honda's server. All my recent reliability problems with LogR were because of a bad data connection. You can test it yourself with airplane mode even on autoscore mode on the street. It needs a reliable internet connection at all times.

It sends to Honda some information about the car and the head unit, and receives data required to communicate with the host android in the HU.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
It "authenticates" with Honda's server. All my recent reliability problems with LogR were because of a bad data connection. You can test it yourself with airplane mode even on autoscore mode on the street. It needs a reliable internet connection at all times.

It sends to Honda some information about the car and the head unit, and receives data required to communicate with the host android in the HU.
That would explain the reliability issues :(

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Well finally had a chance to change the rear pads and be ready for this tracking season, which starts in less than one month!

I followed fatherpains excellent tutorial. I had a friend help me through this since I've never even considered changing the rear brakes. If you've read down through this thread you'll see I did manage to do the fronts by myself. That was truly easy to do - I also followed fatherpains directions with the really helpful tips and comments by Dave B.

This time we followed fatherpains guidance with helpful tips from BlueFalcon and boosted180sx. My friend was very impressed with the level of detail and pictures we had at our disposal. We both had budgeted about 3 hours for this and we were done in less than two. This despite having some trouble with the Autel because I forgot to write down my password :rolleyes:.

He's never worked on a Honda before so we were both new to this process. We both agreed that having the Autel and the windback tool really made a difference and the process a breeze.

Bottom line if anyone reading this is considering doing either front or rear pads - if I can do it so can you.

Now once all the snow clears (just had 14" two days ago) its out to the track!

Last edited:

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's funny seeing track overheating threads still pop up - I'm not criticizing anyone, there have just been so many of them.

I've read them all, but I will say that @DRUSA 's theory of the aluminum piece underneath the stock hood scoop being a heat sink is the very first time I have ever heard that idea. Interesting, but seems like it wouldn't make a big difference? Anyway, I'm not qualified to speak on first-hand, on-track experience, but here are a few things I've found to be consistent:

1) The Jason Lewis/grimace secondary radiator should be the first thing anyone does given how affordable, but also how effective, it is. It's a no-brainer. The center will always get the best cooling. It's unfortunate though, as you can't run something like the Sirimoto oil cooler since the center space would be taken up. I remember USR used to also have a center oil cooler, but in front of the intercooler. I think they scrapped it in favor of their side-mount due to raising IATs.

2) There is at least some truth to a bigger turbo helping coolant temps. Has to do with the massive back pressure of the small, stock turbo, which is exacerbated when tuned for more power. Maybe @Jason@DASHautosports can chime in.

3) Upgraded radiators help with their better fin and tube designs, but it's not enough. Same with vented hoods and their increased heat extraction. People have removed AC condensers but that didn't solve anything. A V-mount design isn't practical unless you want to give up your AC and make a bunch of custom fabrication. I personally don't think it's an air in/out issue. I think it's more a heat generation and cooling capacity thing.

Just my two cents.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
A V-mount design isn't practical unless you want to give up your AC and make a bunch of custom fabrication. I personally don't think it's an air in/out issue. I think it's more a heat generation and cooling capacity thing.

Just my two cents.
I'm going to try to revisit this again. Long story short, I've been waiting 4mo for a new FL5 to arrive at our dealer. We have one in transit, I'm the only one waiting. Higher ups have informed me this week that they will not sell it to me (employee) because they want it to go to a customer instead (some random chump willing to pay $30k markup, our last one listed for $74,000).

Spoon dropped a youtube video 2 weeks ago going into detail about FK8 vs FL5 improvements. They noted the packaging issue and lack of space between the radiator and turbo on the FK8 causing a dead zone of heat. I have the fab skills and help at my disposal. It looks like I'm keeping my FK8. I'm going to look into what is necessary to make a new core support that will tilt the radiator forward away from the turbo.

If this is a packaging issue, let's repackage it? That's what Honda did to fix it. It's worth a shot. It would be a great turn of events if we could solve this issue, making the FK8 the track hero it was marketed to be instead of the one-lap wonder Honda delivered.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm going to try to revisit this again. Long story short, I've been waiting 4mo for a new FL5 to arrive at our dealer. We have one in transit, I'm the only one waiting. Higher ups have informed me this week that they will not sell it to me (employee) because they want it to go to a customer instead (some random chump willing to pay $30k markup, our last one listed for $74,000).

Spoon dropped a youtube video 2 weeks ago going into detail about FK8 vs FL5 improvements. They noted the packaging issue and lack of space between the radiator and turbo on the FK8 causing a dead zone of heat. I have the fab skills and help at my disposal. It looks like I'm keeping my FK8. I'm going to look into what is necessary to make a new core support that will tilt the radiator forward away from the turbo.

If this is a packaging issue, let's repackage it? That's what Honda did to fix it. It's worth a shot. It would be a great turn of events if we could solve this issue, making the FK8 the track hero it was marketed to be instead of the one-lap wonder Honda delivered.
Link to the vid? Curious to see if the space you're talking about was created by simply going to a smaller radiator fan shroud: https://www.civicx.com/forum/attachments/screen-shot-2022-11-01-at-12-15-45-pm-png.359876/

John at FK8TD may be testing the FL5 water pump pulley to see if it can be dropped into the FK8.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Link to the vid? Curious to see if the space you're talking about was created by simply going to a smaller radiator fan shroud: https://www.civicx.com/forum/attachments/screen-shot-2022-11-01-at-12-15-45-pm-png.359876/

John at FK8TD may be testing the FL5 water pump pulley to see if it can be dropped into the FK8.
So I had the chance to see a FL5 and I noticed this as well. Here is a picture I took from the engine bay:

Honda Civic 10th gen Tracking for the rest of us fl5_shroud

The distance from the turbo to the back of the fan seems just the same as in our car. Also, the structure with the hood latch is not on top of the radiator and shroud assembly as in the FK8, giving the impression of a larger space. For reference, this is siwelnosaj's fk8, who seems to have cut this structure:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/attachments/20230103_143830-jpg.365344/
https://www.civicx.com/forum/attachments/screenshot_20230103_091812_photos-jpg.365317/

I think the new radiator fan setup helps, but I'm not holding my breath - the 'overheating on the track' thread will eventually pop up on the other forum.

At the same time, I have seen Type R and RS3 TCR cars in person. The size of their grille opening, radiator, oil cooler or hood vents scoop is laughable compared to some track builds in this forum. Maybe the missing fan/shroud really makes a difference at speed and the fl5 solution is a move in the right direction.

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Well finally had a chance to change the rear pads and be ready for this tracking season, which starts in less than one month!

I followed fatherpains excellent tutorial. I had a friend help me through this since I've never even considered changing the rear brakes. If you've read down through this thread you'll see I did manage to do the fronts by myself. That was truly easy to do - I also followed fatherpains directions with the really helpful tips and comments by Dave B.

This time we followed fatherpains guidance with helpful tips from BlueFalcon and boosted180sx. My friend was very impressed with the level of detail and pictures we had at our disposal. We both had budgeted about 3 hours for this and we were done in less than two. This despite having some trouble with the Autel because I forgot to write down my password :rolleyes:.

He's never worked on a Honda before so we were both new to this process. We both agreed that having the Autel and the windback tool really made a difference and the process a breeze.

Bottom line if anyone reading this is considering doing either front or rear pads - if I can do it so can you.

Now once all the snow clears (just had 14" two days ago) its out to the track!
Still waiting on like the last 1/3 of snow to melt here in MN. Its been difficult without the higher ambient air temps, but this weekend is looking promising. First shakedown event for me is supposed to be in May, and I still gotta swap out my dp, subframe bolts, tune, and get an alignment all within a couple weeks time...
Sponsored