TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I thought you were talking about the yellow envelope problem that's the main point of this thread.
Sponsored

cslaughter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5 EX-T
I thought you were talking about the yellow envelope problem that's the main point of this thread.
He is talking about that. Honda is saying that the problems showing up are a direct result of the barking brake been set/released while the car is not on.

Update on my vehicle..... Honda Corp called today to let me know that my case is being forwarded to mediation. What is interesting is that Honda Corp did not recommend the same work around for the parking brake.

Update: Local Honda dealer called several hours later. Said they traced problem to the parking brake, and said to only use it after the vehicle is on. They told me Honda is working on a software fix, they don't know when it will become available, but in the mean time to come get my vehicle.

I called and left a voicemail for the owner of the dealer and told him again, I will not re-take possession of the vehicle until it has been fixed and either he or Honda Corp want to sign a document stating the vehicle is fixed and safe, and they accept all responsibility in the event the vehicle fails.

Last edited:

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Update on my vehicle..... Honda Corp called today to let me know that my case is being forwarded to mediation. What is interesting is that Honda Corp did not recommend the same work around for the parking brake.
Mediation = buyback? It seems like Honda Corp & the dealer are not communicating - one is saying mediation, the other one says "come get your car, it's safe to drive (despite conflicting information outlined in the owner's manual)"?

cslaughter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mediation = buyback? It seems like Honda Corp & the dealer are not communicating - one is saying mediation, the other one says "come get your car, it's safe to drive (despite conflicting information outlined in the owner's manual)"?
Yes conflicting information.

Information seems to match from what the local dealer told me. But still not in sync with Corp. So I called corp to see what they had to say about the dealer telling me to come get a vehicle that is not fixed and is telling me not to drive it. They were a bit concerned about that, but of course I got the usual... We will have to check with so and so and get back to you. So frustrating. I told them I would not be picking up the vehicle until fixed correctly. They told me that was my choice and that it was ok to leave the vehicle at the dealership until repaired. I also asked about the rental vehicle that I am paying for on my dime. Corp could only tell me to submit a reimbursement claim after we got our car back or a resolution was reached with Honda Corp. I reminded them I was not made of money, and that Honda really needed to take over the rental obligation. Again, I was told I will have to check with so and so and get back to you.

The very soonest the car could be fixed is Tuesday, although highly doubtful. That will mean on Tuesday the vehicle will have a combined 27 days in the shop and fourth payment has not been made. Over 25% of the time we have owned the vehicle.

marzoxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Just wondering, is anyone still having these error messages after having done the software update? My car spent 10 days at the dealer with various issues, of which only one was fixed. They assured me that every problem I was having was magically fixed with the software update they peformed ....right. Anyway, the messages reappared on my drive home tonight and it's only been a week since I finally got the car back from the dealer.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The very soonest the car could be fixed is Tuesday, although highly doubtful. That will mean on Tuesday the vehicle will have a combined 27 days in the shop and fourth payment has not been made. Over 25% of the time we have owned the vehicle.
For all the aggravation the dealer has put you through, they should exchange the car for a brand-new Touring model & call it a day. No one should have to put up with something like this on a new car.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Get a new Touring? LOL.

My conversation with the Dealer and the Regional Rep both went like this (independently):

Me: When will you give me a new car?
Dealer / Regional Rep: Please consult the owner's manual to learn more about the arbitration process.

They said this independently, word for word. Very good legal training on their part.

The Case Manager says a variant of that, but also adds "As you know, I'm not in the legal department."

So... they're handling this 100% via their playbook.

To put things in perspective, in the last 2 weeks I also ran into problems with AT&T and the IRS. The IRS fixed their error in 7 minutes (after I waited on hold for 60 minutes). I tweeted AT&T and they called me back to learn more about the issue. Honda? They just tell me to talk to the Case Manager who is impossible to reach. Honda is truly, amazingly, stunningly bad.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
It looks like that legal firm split into 3. Did you remember which one you worked with?

FWIW, I also had a problem with my E46 BMW. http://www.noreverse.org/

I Fedex'ed a letter to the CEO of BMW NA, got a call the next day. I can't say what happened next.

I've now Fedex'ed a letter to the CEO and EVP of American Honda - no acknowledgement.

I know the Civic isn't a BMW, but sheez. A few years ago I wrote to the CEO of 24 Hour Fitness and they fixed a problem for me. When your customer service is worse than 24 Hour Fitness, that's just sad.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like that legal firm split into 3. Did you remember which one you worked with?
I just realized that after I sent you the link - I don't recall exactly which one/attorney I was assigned (the docs from that fiasco are in storage unfortunately). I remember going to meetings at their office with a bunch of bimmerpost members with the same issue & they took each one of us to separate offices - all of us were pretty happy with our assigned attorney. I think you'll be well taken care of whichever one you choose.

cslaughter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking after reading all 39, as of right now, NHTSA complaints on the 2016 Honda Civic, and what dtccivic and I have been told about using the parking brake from Honda. Several of the complaints are about the parking brake engaging automatically while the car is being driven. Could it be that the real problem is with the parking brake and that all of these problems are related? NHSTA still has not opened an investigation.

I urge everyone having computer issues to file a complaint with the NHTSA and also ask why an investigation has not been opened. Does it really take people getting killed? I really hope not.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I urge everyone having computer issues to file a complaint with the NHTSA and also ask why an investigation has not been opened. Does it really take people getting killed? I really hope not.
Agreed concern is in order given the text of these messages. As of yet, there is zero evidence that the primary complaint in this thread is accompanied by an actual underlying safety hazard. (E.g., message about problem with the brakes is actually accompanied by a real failure that prevents the brakes from working as designed.) NHTSA has limited resources. They cannot possibly investigate every oddball software oddity that a handful of owners post to their database. Go look at things like 2012 Focus and doors swinging open without warning or DCTs spilling their guts on the highway. They probably haven't even opened an investigation on either of these, and they are much more clearly safety hazards and they each have hundreds upon hundreds of similar complaints.

I'm not saying your problem isn't a problem of some sort or that Honda doesn't owe affected owners a fix pronto.

NHTSAs limited effectiveness can only be reduced by people claiming things like the lack of a volume knob for the radio is a safety hazard demanding a recall, or the seat discomfort they experience threatens safety of all owners of the car.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
And again I'll have to say it's not an issue of the vehicle being off when the parking break is engaged or disengaged. In my opinion, one thing I would have loved is if Honda would have simply called me and said "can you recall exactly what you were doing when the issue happened." Never once was I asked that.

I can say it's not the HondaLink software as the last time it occurred for me my girlfriend wasn't connected to the vehicle at all and I had purchased a new phone and had yet to install the software. So we had to turn her bluetooth on, connect it to the vehicle, and use my phone to take the photos.

It is not a problem with engaging the parking brake while the vehicle is off. Granted, I could replicate the problem more often that way, it was not 100% guaranteed. Also, my girlfriend always engaged the brake with the vehicle fully on. She would yell at me on occasion for not doing it while on. Sorry, for the last 10 years I parked in a level garage and rarely had to use a parking brake. Only when parking at her place did I have to start using it. So, regardless of vehicle on or off, it would occur either way. The messages sometimes even occurred while driving.

But again, nobody from corporate ever asked for more info and rarely did the dealership ask for specifics. I will say our replacement 2016 broke the 1000 mile barrier the other day. So far, no issues with random messages. Although I do think they changed the computer programming as we get better MPG with eco off than with it on now. I know we are breaking a new engine in again, but we were hitting 34-35 MPG the first 3 fillups (old 2016 Civic) and now we are hitting 29-32 MPG (replacement 2016 Civic). So now we are driving this fillup with the eco button off to see what difference we get. Time to see if anyone else on here has noticed that after a software update.
Sponsored