TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I'm an IT guy myself. I get that the car is a computer, and I also live with it because it will go away. But I am also a perfectionist, I expect any issue requiring regular reboots to be addressed by the mfr in a reasonable time frame and the solution provided without extra charge. The dealer takes the opposite philosophy, if it can be made to go away or has a workaround, then oh well computers are glitchy but there's no real problem to fix... I encounter this all the time at my Honda dealer and it drives me up a wall. Mechanics get stuck in grease-monkey mode when increasingly they need be computer guys too. And the worst part about it is they are cavalier enough with this attitude that the majority of the time they won't even call Honda HQ to check if there is anything that can be done.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The problem is not the dealers or the technicians. The problem is Honda. Honda's approach from top to bottom is that there shall be no software problems so dealers should replace broken hardware and ignore issues if the hardware is working. How would dealers even diagnose/fix software problems? With source code and JTAG probes and debuggers?

Sooner or later the auto manufacturers will figure out software. Chrysler alone has recalled 6.5 million vehicles in the past several months for safety problems they will solve with firmware updates. If you look at all auto recalls, more and more of them are software in nature, not some hardware manufacturing or design problem. The problem of software maintenance will only get worse as each generation of cars has more and more code. Sooner or later the cost of this will force the manufacturers to be more proactive about finding and fixing bugs and incorporating better ways to find them in the field and remedy them without the expense and effort it takes today.

See signature below.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 touring
Country flag
Also out of warranty, anybody get quotes for cost to reset? It's an annoyance that I'd might consider paying for, but haven't gotten around to the dealer to get a quote.

jc7676

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
I know nothing about cars. I've had this happen to me three times in the last two months, two of the times when I have been sitting in park with the car running a bit.

If I take it to the dealer and ask to reset my cars computer will that address it?

I have a 15 civic

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
My specific problem was the P0955 underboost condition. I fixed the problem through Hondata's disable.

CIVIC876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I know this thread hasn't seen activity in a long while, but I just went through all these issues on a used '16 LX I picked up a couple of months ago, and wanted to share my experience.

To keep a long story short, I had this issue (5 errors showing up on the head unit when going from accessory mode to "on" or starting the car), that was fixed after service visit number 5. After each visit, it was fine when I picked it up, but would return shortly later. By the end, I was able to reproduce this issue with ease, after 20 seconds in Accessory Mode, starting the car would throw up these errors.

The visits went as follows:
1) Replaced screen to fix restart issue (most likely unrelated), and updated software to latest 2016 version
2) Cleaned radar screen because the technician thought that was it (can't believe that was their fix...)
3) Updated software to 2017/2018 version (1.F190.25)
4) Replaced battery due to low voltage measured on startup
5) Re-flashed all the computer modules in the car (don't have all the acronyms with me to list them), but this fixed it (fingers crossed)

I notice now that on startup, the ACC and CMBS lights stay on until everything else has turned on. I imagine the software was updated to delay the startup of these systems until the car is on, to avoid these issues. The dealer didn't seem like they really knew what was going on, they had to get Honda Canada involved to remotely diagnose and work on this issue. However, things seem good now so hopefully the issue doesn't reappear again, it got quite frustrating going to the dealer this frequently!
Hi, has the issues reoccured any at all since the re-flash?
Sponsored