Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The Dodge Charger and Challenger Are Set to Die. Here's What's Comes Next
The "eMuscle" era is arriving sooner than we thought.
Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 209b783f-8483-4b5b-ba0a-1c46a98ab9d0_1593677245

BY TYLER DUFFY
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2021
Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 vc9urhs5m1ifv38ictl4-1639414827.jpg?crop=0.981xw:1

Stellantis
The times, they are a-changing at Dodge. And it's all going down a bit sooner than we thought. We knew Dodge pledged to have an electric muscle car by 2024 and enacted a weird two-year advent calendar of events in the buildup to its release; we didn't know that that would be the end of the run for the brand's current muscle cars.

Related Stories
Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 021-12-09-at-12-25-53-pm-1639070801.png?crop=1xw:0
Could Chrysler Build the Next Groundbreaking EV?

Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 -tires-lead-1630079310.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.893xh;0,0
The Best Winter and Snow Tires You Can Buy

Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 y-black-007-1656431504.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.806xh;0,0
The Next Toyota 4Runner: What You Need to Know

Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis recently confirmed to Motor Authority that the Charger and Challenger — and their Hellcat engines — will cease production by 2024. Motor Trend, who also spoke to Kuniskis, offered further details on the three new Dodge vehicles that will replace them.
We'll see the Electric Muscle Car concept next year
Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 dodge-electric-muscle-car-1639414668

Our best look so far at Dodge’s new "eMuscle" car.
Dodge
Kuniskis confirmed to Motor Trend that Dodge will unveil its electric muscle car concept by the second quarter of 2022 at the latest. It will run on Stellantis's new "STLA large EV" platform, one of four electric vehicle platforms the conglomerate is reportedly developing — and one that will purportedly offer up to 500 miles of range.
A Dodge plug-in hybrid will enter production before the end of 2022
Dodge will also unveil a plug-in hybrid soon, and put it into production by the end of 2022. The report says it will be a new vehicle — not a current-gen Durango sporting the Jeep Wrangler 4xe powertrain. No word from Motor Trend on whether it will still use that engine (though that would be logical, given the timeframe).
Dodge will produce a mysterious third vehicle
Kuniskis noted to Motor Trend that Dodge has a third vehicle coming. What he did not mention is what that vehicle would be. He just said that it would be a "very, very, very significant car at the end of the year." (Here's a hoping that a revival of the Dodge Magnum wagon is the sort of thing that would require such a multitude of verys.)

Honda Civic 10th gen Times are changing...Challenger and Charger are done in 2024 flr-1639414961.jpg?crop=0.900xw:0.885xh;0.0553xw,0

Stellantis
Here's why Dodge is getting rid of the Charger and Challenger
When PSA Group merged with FCA to form Stellantis, most presumed that the new mega-conglomerate would trim down the number of brands. Dodge was thought to be one of the brands on the chopping block. Jeep sells profitable SUVs; Ram sells profitable pickup trucks. But cranking out emissions fine-courting V8-powered Chargers and Challengers on the aging Chrysler LX platform ad infinitum was not a way forward for Dodge.
It's not clear whether and how successfully Dodge can convert its enthusiast base to "eMuscle." But the brand will need to do so to survive.
LEARN MORE

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Saw this yesterday too. I can see it now - BRO! I get like 2 charge stations per hr (csph? haha)....... Exciting times we live in for sure.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Saw this yesterday too. I can see it now - BRO! I get like 2 charge stations per hr (csph? haha)....... Exciting times we live in for sure.
Are they really.......Here is my problem. What other country is going electric?

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Are they really.......Here is my problem. What other country is going electric?
Everyone is. There is a reason Tesla sales is growing like nuts. Remember when everyone suddenly start selling smartphone instead of the old phones? Same thing is happening with EV.

Whoever sticks with ICE car will become Nokia.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Everyone is. There is a reason Tesla sales is growing like nuts. Remember when everyone suddenly start selling smartphone instead of the old phones? Same thing is happening with EV.

As long as they don't turn the Challenger or Charger into a suv like they did the mustang. That ev mustang looks like shit. I bet you they turn the charger into a ev suv and I bet you it will look like shit.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As long as they don't turn the Challenger or Charger into a suv like they did the mustang. That ev mustang looks like shit. I bet you they turn the charger into a ev suv and I bet you it will look like shit.
Well. Sport car still has its place. Thats why Ford drops all sedan but still keep the gas Mustang. We will see how will Dodge Fiat play this move. Its quite an interesting business decision.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Well. Sport car still has its place. Thats why Ford drops all sedan but still keep the gas Mustang. We will see how will Dodge Fiat play this move. Its quite an interesting business decision.
Oh Ford is still producing gas mustangs? I thought they dropped it for the mach e. Mach E might be fast but it looks about as good as a Pontiac Aztec. Okay that was a little harsh. According to Scotty they had to pause build orders for mach e cause built in Mexico and apparently the main wires fuse together going down middle body. You get what you pay for and apparently they don't pay shit like 20-40 dollars a day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

That is an interesting perspective. I am seeing the change policy wise. It is almost as if they are FORCING us to go this route. its not organic.

I'm just not liking the new introductions of Electric technology in vehicles. I just feel like there is nothing like turning the key of an ICE vehicle. Easier to maintain, cheaper to manage, and don't have to wait 30 minutes to charge a vehicle. Not to mention affordability... its cheaper to find and buy gas powered vehicles.

As a motorcycle rider I don't see anything enticing about going electric there either. I don't know

Infrastructure wise I'm not seeing it yet.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is an interesting perspective. I am seeing the change policy wise. It is almost as if they are FORCING us to go this route. its not organic.

I'm just not liking the new introductions of Electric technology in vehicles. I just feel like there is nothing like turning the key of an ICE vehicle. Easier to maintain, cheaper to manage, and don't have to wait 30 minutes to charge a vehicle. Not to mention affordability... its cheaper to find and buy gas powered vehicles.

As a motorcycle rider I don't see anything enticing about going electric there either. I don't know

Infrastructure wise I'm not seeing it yet.
I know the market is changing because how active every brand is releasing EV SUVs. Rivians. EV Hummers. EV F150. EV Silverado. EV Blazer EV Mercedes. EV BMW EV Honda EV Toyota EV Mazda EV Kia. Its like no one wants to miss the bus and fell behind.

Meanwhile, I totally see your point. Thats why i got a gas HV instead of a full EV for now. The infrastructure is not there yet and the charging time is a total issue. I dont want to run into a situation where i need to go somewhere but need to find a charging point and then waiting 20-30 mins to charge the car

On the other hand, there is no need for replacing engine oil, spark plug, belt, starter. alternator, thermostat, valvo cover gasket, timing chain cover gasket, coil packs, rear main seal etc etc.........in an EV. An oil change at my local shop takes 1-2 hours of my time 2-3 times a year. The time saving and fewer need for maintenance is something ICE car cant provide.

I cant wait for the moment when Toyota/Lexus goes full EV and they make them just like how they have been building their Prius. When they take care the charging time where i charge the car in less than 10-15 mins and give me decent range. I honestly dont see any reason left to stay with gas cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: