Throttle Pedal Response

How sensitive do you think the throttle pedal is? (Sport/+R mode)

• Total voters

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone else feel like the throttle pedal is very twitchy when in sport and +R mode? I’ve recently started driving in comfort mode and I am finding it so much easier to smoothly upshift in 2nd and 3rd gears. In sport and +R, a tap of the throttle pedal is like 15% of the power. I am finding that it’s rather hard to smoothly get on the gas in these modes because what I would think is light pressure is a lot more throttle than intended. So I feel a surge when I get back on the gas. When I creep around at low speeds, in comfort it’s much smoother. In the other modes, it’s very herky jerky.

How do other owners feel about it?
Sponsored

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
I’ve never noticed an issue in any mode. I find it easy to get going and shift smooth in all gears. What car did you drive prior to the fk8? Most likely your comparison or feeling is just much different based off prior vehicles than others.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Does anyone else feel like the throttle pedal is very twitchy when in sport and +R mode? I’ve recently started driving in comfort mode and I am finding it so much easier to smoothly upshift in 2nd and 3rd gears. In sport and +R, a tap of the throttle pedal is like 15% of the power. I am finding that it’s rather hard to smoothly get on the gas in these modes because what I would think is light pressure is a lot more throttle than intended. So I feel a surge when I get back on the gas. When I creep around at low speeds, in comfort it’s much smoother. In the other modes, it’s very herky jerky.

How do other owners feel about it?
The big complaint Chris Harris had initially about the car was this, the inability of Honda to allow the owners to individually change the car inputs, such as steering, throttle,etc.

It is not bad by any means, but other vehicle allows to change this.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve never noticed an issue in any mode. I find it easy to get going and shift smooth in all gears. What car did you drive prior to the fk8? Most likely your comparison or feeling is just much different based off prior vehicles than others.
A CVT touring coupe. I found that automatics don’t require as much precision with pedals compared to manuals. Which is probably the issue, I’m still used to driving automatics where I can put my foot on and off the accelerator without really thinking about it. I dunno, it could just be me...

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Probably just need more time to get use to a manual if you've been driving autos for awhile. I do prefer comfort mode for city driving though

punkwrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I find that Sport could be a tad less responsive. The jump from comfort to sport is quite a bit. Comfort is perfect for what it is intended for...when i drive in comfort i actually forget i am in a CTR and feel like its my Civic Hatchback....i just don't feel like driving aggressively at all. R+ settings are bang on for what it is intended for. But Sport could be a tad less touchy and the steering just a tad less stiff just to even out the jump in between modes. But that's just me.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I find that Sport could be a tad less responsive. The jump from comfort to sport is quite a bit. Comfort is perfect for what it is intended for...when i drive in comfort i actually forget i am in a CTR and feel like its my Civic Hatchback....i just don't feel like driving aggressively at all. R+ settings are bang on for what it is intended for. But Sport could be a tad less touchy and the steering just a tad less stiff just to even out the jump in between modes. But that's just me.
Completely agree, if I am on track or driving quick I just go straight to R mode sport seems useless

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm probably in the minority, but I rather like the way the modes are setup. The throttle doesn't seem twitchy at all, coming from a CR-Z where 20% throttle in sport mode was about 80% torque demand, the throttle actually seems pretty laggy in the Type R, but I guess it's because I'm coming from a car with instant electric torque to my first car with turbo lag.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Completely agree, if I am on track or driving quick I just go straight to R mode sport seems useless
If I want to go quick/fast I use R+. If I'm driving regularly I'm typically in sport. If I'm stuck in traffic/driving slow anyways, then I'll stick to comfort. In terms of throttle response, sport is a little close to R+, but the suspension differences are big enough for me to switch.

Charlestx2

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si , Acura TL 2003 Type S
Country flag
Does anyone else agree that the throttle response is a bit lazy when in sport mode or not ? Feel like I have to push the gas pedal so much just to pick up to speed compared to other drive by wire cars.

2017civicext

R-15474
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2021 CBP Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Comfort in my opinion feels very familiar and reminds me of my si I traded in. The jump from comfort to sport feels pretty dramatic. I haven’t had much experience in R+ mode yet.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
The big complaint Chris Harris had initially about the car was this, the inability of Honda to allow the owners to individually change the car inputs, such as steering, throttle,etc.

It is not bad by any means, but other vehicle allows to change this.

I think that's too fussy. I don't even like all the options on the infotainment, I just want to jump in the car, turn it on and drive away with music blaring. I don't want to fiddle on the screen for 5 min to make sure my throttle response is still set correctly. I'm not a car engineer - I want the experts to show me what a good set up is, not set it up myself. Like when I go out to eat - I want the chef to season my food and give me perfection, don't make me cook and season it. In addition, if it's perfect, don't act like you know better than the chef and start tossing in salt and pepper and whatever else just because.

I do wish the Type R would remember the mode you were in when you shut it down and start up in the same mode instead of defaulting to sport.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I think that's too fussy. I don't even like all the options on the infotainment, I just want to jump in the car, turn it on and drive away with music blaring. I don't want to fiddle on the screen for 5 min to make sure my throttle response is still set correctly. I'm not a car engineer - I want the experts to show me what a good set up is, not set it up myself. Like when I go out to eat - I want the chef to season my food and give me perfection, don't make me cook and season it. In addition, if it's perfect, don't act like you know better than the chef and start tossing in salt and pepper and whatever else just because.

I do wish the Type R would remember the mode you were in when you shut it down and start up in the same mode instead of defaulting to sport.
I’m sure someone might come with that idea at some point, the Evo X aftermarket once came out with a similar device, allowing you to keep the car on specific modes all the time. Perhaps the biggest let down is actually the non available traditional hand brake, J turns are kinda doom in here. Would be nice if we can modulate that button too.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would love to be able to set it to start in comfort mode. My daily commute is 5 minutes long and includes somewhat bumpy roads and a top speed of 25 MPH.

Night Fury, are you talking about being able to pull the e-brake to temporarily lock the back brakes to do a J Turn without having to toggle it back off? Do you know if the e-brake uses the rear disc brakes or are there little drum brakes built in which hold the car when the e-brake is activated? I know I've driven a car with the latter, and at speeds over 10MPH, the e-brake couldn't actually lock the rear up.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I drive in comfort but i actually prefer the throttle response in sport and R+. Comfort is a little sluggish. Just the steering gets artificially heavy.
Sponsored