Steering wheel noises

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
There has been a weird sound coming from the center of the steering wheel (where the airbags deploy) when turning the steering wheel either direction, its a weird faint sound that is very hard to explain, best explanation that comes to my mind is sandy, it sounds like when a few tiny grains of sand is splashing around a can or bottle or something, hard to explain. It is quite audible if you have radio silence and the windows are rolled up. Took it to the dealership, and they replaced a spring or something and the sound still persists. They then decided to test other Si's on the lot same year and body type (2017 Sedan) and according to them they all had similar sounds. So the verdict I got from them was it seems to be a "normal defect" coming from the airbag and until Honda releases a service bulletin they dont know what else to do. So here I am wondering if I am an isolated case or if it is in fact a "normal defect". Does anybody else hear weird noises coming from the center of their steeeing wheel when turning either direction? Please let me know either way so that maybe I could use the replies here to pursue further actions.
Sponsored

cwcaesar

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have also noticed this faint, almost a soft clicking noise when I am turning the steering wheel sharply at low speeds (as in a parking lot). I don't know what the source of the noise is or whether it is a cause for concern, but it is a minor annoyance at a minimum.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't say for certain, but it is probably some type of switch or sensor that detects the steering wheel movement, since our cars have electric power steering. That output is sent to the motor that powers the steering rack so the wheels turn freely. I have heard it too, very faint.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't say for certain, but it is probably some type of switch or sensor that detects the steering wheel movement, since our cars have electric power steering. That output is sent to the motor that powers the steering rack so the wheels turn freely. I have heard it too, very faint.
In other words it is normal?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In other words it is normal?
If multiple people have heard it, with no adverse effect or issues, I would say yes. I noticed it on my 2013 Accord Sport and my 2017 Si. Both had electric power steering.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any one else's steering wheel making similar sounds?

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
I noticed this as well. But I also noticed on my previous accord which was an 98 accord. Seems to be some type of bearings or something

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I noticed this as well. But I also noticed on my previous accord which was an 98 accord. Seems to be some type of bearings or something
Was the 98 accord electric steering?

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
I have the same sound. Only noticed it recently when cold and in a parking garage. Like you said it has to be relatively quiet to hear. But I agree it seems to be a normal sound from electric PS unit. Never paid attention after car warmed up as I usually had the radio too loud to hear it anyway.

Strbod4040

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EXT Black
I recently bought a new Civic EXT 2018 and it started producing the same sound at around 500 miles. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced the airbag....three weeks later and the sound has started to pop up again, especially when the car is cold. I'm taking it back to the dealer once it becomes more consistent.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I recently bought a new Civic EXT 2018 and it started producing the same sound at around 500 miles. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced the airbag....three weeks later and the sound has started to pop up again, especially when the car is cold. I'm taking it back to the dealer once it becomes more consistent.
Same happened here. Airbag was replaced and about a month later it seems to be slowly coming back. Not sure if I'll take it back.

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I recently upgraded from a 2016 civic to a 2020 hatchback sport (only has 400KM) and noticed theses faint clicking noises when turning the steering wheel (left or right). Only happens when the car is standing still or at low speeds. Can barely hear it over the A/C and not at all when streaming music.

Wondering if it this is something to be concerned about, is it a problem that gets worse? My old 2016 civic sedan never had this issue.

bmedhat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sedan ex 2.0 liters
Country flag
I had this very similar problem with my 2018 civic. I lubricated the exposed 3 springs that help actuate the horn on the back of the airbag unit and the problem went away. Apparently, the screws that hold the unit in place sit on a bracket that also houses these horn springs so that any tension felt on the unit is transmitted through these springs.

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
I had this very similar problem with my 2018 civic. I lubricated the exposed 3 springs that help actuate the horn on the back of the airbag unit and the problem went away. Apparently, the screws that hold the unit in place sit on a bracket that also houses these horn springs so that any tension felt on the unit is transmitted through these springs.
Good to know, I'll have to try that myself sometime. Good thing is that I've been driving the car around since and it hasn't been anything detrimental to it's performance and hasn't worsened so I'm looking at it as just a minor issue.
Sponsored