Sounds settings with AA (android auto)

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
For the love of god why can't i access my sound settings while using Android Auto? For example while using xm radio, Am/Fm Radio or even Apple Play when pressing the menu button i get a sound button si can level the speakers bass, treble , subwoofer etc. I can't get to that setting while listening to let's say Spotify via Android Auto. Is that a bug/flaw? Am i the only one with this problem?
Sponsored

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I assume it's using the phones EQ settings, but I have no idea if most phones allow adjusting EQ settings.

OP
OP
Jay Jay

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
I assume it's using the phones EQ settings, but I have no idea if most phones allow adjusting EQ settings.
Equalizer on the phone is shit seriously!! I tried is and tbe sould is lower when equalizer is on so i leave it off. And i don't think i can control let's say the subwoofer level on the phone right?

reheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
For the love of god why can't i access my sound settings while using Android Auto? For example while using xm radio, Am/Fm Radio or even Apple Play when pressing the menu button i get a sound button si can level the speakers bass, treble , subwoofer etc. I can't get to that setting while listening to let's say Spotify via Android Auto. Is that a bug/flaw? Am i the only one with this problem?
I haven't found a way to do this. I go and select a different source, adjust, and back to aa. Design flaw is all I can guess.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Maybe there is a licensing issue that requires them to disable the audio settings when AA is enabled

OP
OP
Jay Jay

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Maybe there is a licensing issue that requires them to disable the audio settings when AA is enabled
I dont think it's a licensing thing it's more like a bug/flaw thing... Works flawlessly with the iPhone via Carplay, should be the same for Android Auto

ysargon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
I haven't found a way to do this. I go and select a different source, adjust, and back to aa. Design flaw is all I can guess.

I just found out that even if you change the sound settings on a different source it doesn't apply for Android auto

OP
OP
Jay Jay

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Seriously? So let's say max treble on other audio sources won't apply on android auto? Because i know it works with carplay....

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just found out that even if you change the sound settings on a different source it doesn't apply for Android auto
Seriously? So let's say max treble on other audio sources won't apply on android auto? Because i know it works with carplay....
No, changing sound settings from another source does change it for AA, they're universal. If you don't believe me try to fade/balance just to the rear right speaker OR turn down the sub, bass, middle, and turn up the treble. Do either of those then go back to AA and you will hear the difference.

That said, changing sound settings or your phone won't do anything as the audio is transferred over USB and not Bluetooth. The head unit handles DAC when using AA and not the phone so fiddling with sound settings even with a rooted phone and Viper4Android won't change anything.

OP
OP
Jay Jay

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
That's what i thought. But i still wonder why we can't access sound settings while using AA?

ysargon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
No, changing sound settings from another source does change it for AA, they're universal. If you don't believe me try to fade/balance just to the rear right speaker OR turn down the sub, bass, middle, and turn up the treble. Do either of those then go back to AA and you will hear the difference.

That said, changing sound settings or your phone won't do anything as the audio is transferred over USB and not Bluetooth. The head unit handles DAC when using AA and not the phone so fiddling with sound settings even with a rooted phone and Viper4Android won't change anything.
When I'm done work I will try to make a video and link it here. It does not sound the same compared to Bluetooth audio

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When I'm done work I will try to make a video and link it here. It does not sound the same compared to Bluetooth audio

It won't sound the same compared to Bluetooth. Using Bluetooth your phone processes the audio then sends it through Bluetooth, sounds settings (DSP) on your phone will affect Bluetooth. Once your car gets the audio it ALSO goes through its mixer (DSP). Bluetooth audio is highly compressed and also gain limited like headphones.

AA on the other hand ONLY passes through the car's DSP, isn't compressed for transfer, or gain limited. Think of it like playing from a flash drive, the only compression is on the file itself and the car processes the audio. The cool thing about this is that you get higher quality and louder audio compared to Bluetooth. Some people, like myself, prefer to use advanced DSP settings available through apps like Viper4Android but these are unavailable through AA.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm going to rehash this since I didn't see another thread on the subject. I have a Galaxy S7 and an iPhone 5S. I can tweak the audio settings in Carplay, and the resulting sound is incredibly rich. On AA, the impact from adjusting the treble/mid/base/sub is approximately 25-50% of any other source, including USB direct. Seems to be an issue with the built-in HU logic but will try another genuine Samsung cable to rule out a shielding issue.

Anyone else find a way around it?
Sponsored