PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
If I'm using Android Auto and switch the source to the radio, AA brings changes it back to whatever I was listening to last (usually YouTube music). I've looked around in google and seen that other people are having this problem on multiple phones, head units and cars. The problem seems to be with the last update to Android Auto, and Google is not being responsive.

Do any of you smart people have a way that I can use maps in Android Auto but listen to the radio? I suppose I could hook up my wireless charger and run the map on the phone when I want to listen to the radio, but it seems silly that I can't use that nice big screen for my maps.
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I don’t have android. But I regularly use iphone carplay as map and listen to am/fm sports radio. When you connect the phone, it will default to your phone as carplay/audio. But you toggle to am/fm. And the map stays on while the audio source changes. Might want to input some generic map location as destination.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I use AA, and the Google Maps will not be displayed if you change the source. This has always been the case. It is not new. However, you will still get audio directions as well as turn guidance on the dash, if your vehicle is equipped.

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me try again; it's hard to explain the issue. If my phone is plugged in and connected to Android Auto, I can't listen to the car radio. If I switch the audio to the radio, after a minute or two, it will change the source on the head unit back to Android Auto.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Let me try again; it's hard to explain the issue. If my phone is plugged in and connected to Android Auto, I can't listen to the car radio. If I switch the audio to the radio, after a minute or two, it will change the source on the head unit back to Android Auto.
Oh, I see. Does it happen with other sources? I don't listen to AM/FM Radio, but I do listen XM Radio, and it hasn't happened to me yet.

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh, I see. Does it happen with other sources? I don't listen to AM/FM Radio, but I do listen XM Radio, and it hasn't happened to me yet.
I don't know. I don't listen to XM, and any other sources would use the same usb where I connect AA, and bluetooth is unavailable when AA is running.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Hmmm. I swear I was able to listen to AM/FM, XM, or Car's USB Drive *and* see the AA maps at the same time, but I could be dreaming.

But what I'm sure (well pretty sure. ;-) ) of is that I was able to listen to car's XM, AM/FM, and USB Drive while having AA connected in the background. There're two AA options of interest: Auto Resume Media and Auto Launch. Could you have a connection issue? You could play around with those options see if it makes any difference. You could get "Android Auto for Phone Screens" so you could play around with the settings on your phone instead of playing around in your car.

Does it happen only one time after you start up your car? If so, then it's probably because you had the following options "Automatically Resume Media", "Use Bluetooth", and "AutoLaunch" enabled. When they're all enabled, AA will auto connect after your phone connects via Bluetooth and then AA will switch to the last AA media source.

If all else fails, you could get TunedIn Radio and XM has an app too so you could listen to AM/FM and XM within AA. But they do chew up your data.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My first thought was connection issues was well, but I don't think that's it since maps does not interrupt. I've shut off auto launch and auto connect, but it still does it.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My first thought was connection issues was well, but I don't think that's it since maps does not interrupt. I've shut off auto launch and auto connect, but it still does it.
I can listen to anything (AM/FM, XM, USB Drive) while navigate with AA Google Maps on the HU screen. I don't know if it's a 2020 thing or not. I have a Samsung S10.

Maybe you should try reset data on the HU and uninstall then re-install AA on your phone?

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can listen to anything (AM/FM, XM, USB Drive) while navigate with AA Google Maps on the HU screen. I don't know if it's a 2020 thing or not. I have a Samsung S10.

Maybe you should try reset data on the HU and uninstall then re-install AA on your phone?
That's a good idea.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

So, let's say you start up the car and you are on the AA Google Map screen, and you want to listen to a source from the car's HU. To do that, you have to hit the Home button, then the Source button and choose your source, right? Then, you pick your station. How do you get back to the Google Map screen? If you change the Source to Android Auto, it doesn't shut off the sound from the car's HU?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, let's say you start up the car and you are on the AA Google Map screen, and you want to listen to a source from the car's HU. To do that, you have to hit the Home button, then the Source button and choose your source, right? Then, you pick your station. How do you get back to the Google Map screen? If you change the Source to Android Auto, it doesn't shut off the sound from the car's HU?

Yeah No, my music doesn't get cut off when I switch to AA. Say my phone is connected and I'm on the FM screen and I press the Home Button, then I'll get the Home Screen showed below with a blue Android Auto selection at the end. Then I just press that and AA comes on and I just press Map and FM will still be playing. My Android Auto setting is showed below as well. Maybe it's a 2020 thing or maybe because "Use Bluetooth" is disabled?

Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto with radio 1609904765134

Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto with radio 1609905322534
Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto with radio 1609905288787

Last edited:
OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I usually use the steering wheel controls. Down arrow takes me to FM from AA.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I usually use the steering wheel controls. Down arrow takes me to FM from AA.
I think that could your problem right there. The steering wheel up/down arrows switch between audio sources so when you hit AA there, it activates the AA media player. Try switch to AA on the Home Screen.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think that could your problem right there. The steering wheel up/down arrows switch between audio sources so when you hit AA there, it activates the AA media player. Try switch to AA on the Home Screen.
Does the 2020 have Wireless AA?
Sponsored