PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
I've got a 2018 Si, so no wireless AA. I don't have a problem with getting to AA from another audio source, I have a problem with AA switching audio source to AA when I have it on FM. If I'm using AA maps and switch to the radio by any method, it will switch the audio to whatever I last used on my Galaxy S20FE (usually YouTube music, but it can be whatever) after a minute or two.

I would just use the streaming version (unlimited data is great) but the NFL won't let the radio stations stream the games. I'm often on the road Sunday afternoons, so this is the big issue.

I'm going to try to do a Factory reset on the Head Unit and Re-install AA on my phone. I'll see if the APK for the HU side of AA is available and install that. I probably won't get to that until the weekend though.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Does the 2020 have Wireless AA?
No not on the HU. Not as far as I know. The setting shown was captured on my phone. You can setup AA on the HU and you can also setup AA on your phone using "Android Auto for Phone Screens". My understanding is that Google and Samsung phones can do AA Wireless since 2019. With the latest Android 11, all phones with 5GHz Wifi will be able to do Wireless AA, but I think the HU still needs to be updated to support it. I tried to test it on my setup, but my HU couldn't even see my phone's hotspot so I wasn't able to test.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
No not on the HU. Not as far as I know. The setting shown was captured on my phone. You can setup AA on the HU and you can also setup AA on your phone using "Android Auto for Phone Screens". My understanding is that Google and Samsung phones can do AA Wireless since 2019. With the latest Android 11, all phones with 5GHz Wifi will be able to do Wireless AA, but I think the HU still needs to be updated to support it. I tried to test it on my setup, but my HU couldn't even see my phone's hotspot so I wasn't able to test.
Ok. "Bluetooth while AA is running" is also disabled on my phone, so the only difference is that mine is a 2016 and yours is a 2020.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
"Bluetooth while AA is running" is also disabled on my phone, so the only difference is that mine is a 2016 and yours is a 2020.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"Bluetooth while AA is running" is also disabled on my phone, so the only difference is that mine is a 2016 and yours is a 2020.
Your problem is the HU stops the music when you switch to AA from the Home Screen? After it's in AA, does it bring up the last used AA media player? Or does just sitting mute.

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
Your problem is the HU stops the music when you switch to AA from the Home Screen? After it's in AA, does it bring up the last used AA media player? Or does just sitting mute.
If that's directed to me here's a typical scenario:
1) I have AA running (map on the screen and playing music from the files on my phone).
2) I switch audio to FM, usually by just hitting the down arrow on the steering wheel, but I get the same effect by going to the home screen and changing the source to FM. In any case I end up with maps on the screen and FM playing on the audio.
3) After a minute or two, the audio source switches back to AA and it starts playing my files again, unless the queue is empty and then it sits silent.
4) I switch the audio source back to FM
5) Repeat 3 and 4 until I get frustrated and I unplug my phone.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If that's directed to me here's a typical scenario:
1) I have AA running (map on the screen and playing music from the files on my phone).
2) I switch audio to FM, usually by just hitting the down arrow on the steering wheel, but I get the same effect by going to the home screen and changing the source to FM. In any case I end up with maps on the screen and FM playing on the audio.
3) After a minute or two, the audio source switches back to AA and it starts playing my files again, unless the queue is empty and then it sits silent.
4) I switch the audio source back to FM
5) Repeat 3 and 4 until I get frustrated and I unplug my phone.
I was actually replying to @calonzo.

I think we might be using a different skin. When I switch to FM from AA, the AA screen would disappear and all I see is the FM screen.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I did get it to work, although I don't think it will stay this way if you switch back and forth.

Using the Android Auto for Phone screens, I disabled "Automatically resume media". This didn't fix it entirely. What I had to do was to remove the music app that was playing on my phone in the Android Auto for Phone screens by sliding it to the right. Then while XM radio was playing, I connected my phone, switched source to AA, and XM radio kept playing. I didn't try switching to an app on AA to play music, then switch back to XM, and back to AA, to see if XM kept playing, but I have a feeling it will play music from my phone again.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did get it to work, although I don't think it will stay this way if you switch back and forth.

Using the Android Auto for Phone screens, I disabled "Automatically resume media". This didn't fix it entirely. What I had to do was to remove the music app that was playing on my phone in the Android Auto for Phone screens by sliding it to the right. Then while XM radio was playing, I connected my phone, switched source to AA, and XM radio kept playing. I didn't try switching to an app on AA to play music, then switch back to XM, and back to AA, to see if XM kept playing, but I have a feeling it will play music from my phone again.
Yeah the "Auto resume media" description is vague. What does it mean "Automatically resume media when you start driving"? When you first connect to AA? Whenever to you take off from a stop?

Instead of uninstall the media app, you might be able to accomplish the same thing by disable the app in "Customize Launcher" in AA for phone screens.

I'm pretty sure the sequence of actions do not matter on my setup. But I'll try your sequence of playing a AA media app, then to FM, then back to AA maps and see if FM still plays.

EDIT: even if AA goes to the media player that was running when you switch to FM and back, you could always select maps, then to FM, then back to AA. I think that should keep FM playing. But I'll test later and confirm.

BTW. Are you using the new AA interface with the app icons (instead of a vertical list) looking similar to CarPlay? I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Ok got a chance to test. No matter what I did, AA never plays music automatically unless I use the steering wheel up/down buttons. I've only tested it with the Pulsar media player.
  • Switching using Home Screen
    • If I'm listening to AA music and switch to FM then back to AA, AA displays the music screen but FM was still playing.
    • If I'm on AA maps and switch to FM then back to AA, AA displays the map screen and FM was still playing
  • Switching using Steering Wheel Up/Down Buttons
    • If I'm on AA maps and press the Up/Down button, AA stays in maps and switches the audio source. If AA is selected, AA stays in maps and plays the last AA music app.
So it's working as it should for me. Not sure if it would be different if I were to use YouTube Music. I don't see why it would.

EDIT: I just though of something. Maybe it was a setting in YT Music that does that? Try disable "Allow external devices to start playback"?

Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto with radio 1609975904648

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
BTW. Are you using the new AA interface with the app icons (instead of a vertical list) looking similar to CarPlay? I don't know if that has something to do with it.
I believe so. The interface was updated at the beginning of the year.

woofs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic RS, 1973 EB Civic,
Country flag
another option is to use the Autohack.org option, and unlock the HU, then install Waze on the HU and V4A.
I did this yesterday and it worked well and from a user point of view enabled me to turn off things that bugged me and tweak the EQ which was the main thing.
bonus was it removed the start up dialog you have to push OK on every time
Sponsored